650c Wheels on a Small Frame

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
531colin

Re: 650c Wheels on a Small Frame

Post by 531colin »

Valbrona wrote:Woman in the picture seems to be reaching too far for recreational riding ... no bend at elbows and hip angle not open enough.

OP - Check out Isla Bikes for road bikes with 650c wheels.

Its just a prototype we took out of the shop, I did no more than set the saddle height about right....its not her bike, or set up critically for her.
Its a 47cm frame with the top tube 45mm below the top of the seat tube, otherwise she wouldn't be able to stand over it.

Just to get an idea of size, Islabikes are talking about an 18" (46 cm) frame 700c "Luath" , without a significantly dropped top tube,
.................for riders 11 years and older.
http://www.islabikes.co.uk/UserContent/doc/2252/luath700%20small-18.4.16.pdf....

Rusty Spanner

Post by Rusty Spanner »

I think I've ridden that Spa, unless there's an almost identical one a centimetre or two larger?
It's absolutely lovely.
Handles beautifully, steers neutrally and has a bit of zing.

I recently spent eight months trying to ride as many drop bar touring bikes as possible, in order to replace my old MTB based bike.
I'm 5'5", averagely proportioned with size 42/43 feet.

The Spa Disc prototype was the only correctly sized 700c bike I rode which had no toe overlap when fitted with 'guards.

I ended up buying a 26" wheeled Disc Trucker, as I regularly ride off road and wanted the capability of running bigger tyres.
It doesn't feel quite as sprightly as the Spa, but I can use high volume MTB tyres on bridleways and trails.
I'm using 2" tyres on road too at the moment, 165mm cranks, SKS guards. No overlap.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Rusty Spanner wrote:I think I've ridden that Spa, unless there's an almost identical one a centimetre or two larger?
It's absolutely lovely.
Handles beautifully, steers neutrally and has a bit of zing.

I recently spent eight months trying to ride as many drop bar touring bikes as possible, in order to replace my old MTB based bike.
I'm 5'5", averagely proportioned with size 42/43 feet.

The Spa Disc prototype was the only correctly sized 700c bike I rode which had no toe overlap when fitted with 'guards.

I ended up buying a 26" wheeled Disc Trucker, as I regularly ride off road and wanted the capability of running bigger tyres.
It doesn't feel quite as sprightly as the Spa, but I can use high volume MTB tyres on bridleways and trails.
I'm using 2" tyres on road too at the moment, 165mm cranks, SKS guards. No overlap.

my colour
There is a 50cm Spa bike, which I guess is the one somebody 5' 5" would ride.
I think it will take 700 x 38 tyres, but we made it to take rim brakes as well as discs, so any tyre bigger than that rules out mini-vees, which many customers like to use with their (road) STIs........there are always choices to make!
Interesting about the overlap.... Some people don't mind overlap, some won't have it at any price......but in a bike of that sort, in that size, I think its just lazy to design in overlap....you don't need it, its easy to design it out.....and when you are descending something steep, bumpy and loose, its very reassuring to have the front wheel well out in front, rather than underneath you.

Just for fun, here they are....Wayfarers great and small.....47 & 58cm