New to cycling - advice required on frame size and which bike

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
crackerjacker

New to cycling - advice required on frame size and which bike

Post by crackerjacker »

Hi

I am wanting to get into cycling and I have been looking at Halfords to get me started. I do not want to spend a lot at this stage as I do not know if I will take to cycling or not.

I have been looking at the below bikes:

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/carrera-tdf-mens-ltd-road-bike
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-road-sport-bike

I was going to purchase the Carrera as I am not sure the Boardman is worth twice the price for the casual user I will be. My main issue is the frame size......the size guides for my height of 6ft 2in for each bike shows:

Carrera - 54cm frame (this is the max size)
Boardman - 5ft7-6ft3 55.5cm frame
- 6ft1-6ft7 57.5cm frame

Is the frame size going to be a big factor when purchasing the bike as this may determine whether I will have to buy the Boardman instead of the Carrera for twice the price when I might never get into cycling seriously enough. Also, is a couple of cm really going to make a big difference?

Also, is their a big difference between the specs on the bikes?

Thanks in advance
Stevek76

Re: New to cycling - advice required on frame size and which bike

Post by Stevek76 »

If you've got relatively long legs for your height the 54cm should be OK.

If you're short legged and long torso then perhaps not given 6ft 2in is at the top end of the recommended height.

You might also want to have a poke round an Evans if you have one nearby if you fancy a few more options.

Obviously at either you'll be able to test ride before buying. I don't know about halfords exact policy on that but Evans allow you to take it outside for a bit providing you leave a card in their locker. They also allow up to two bikes to be ordered in for a £50 refundable deposit per bike incase you want to compare bikes or sizes.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I don't know them myself but many people here seem to recommend the BTWin (or something like that) from Decathelon. Halfords ... do a search on the forum and you'll see what many think of the retailer.

Ian
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I'd say go ride some bikes. You'll soon get a feel for what suits you, both in terms of bicycle, and the help you get from the shop.

You will get more for your money, if you can find a decent second hand bike. Look for a bike hub or re-cycle type charity in your area, or a local bike shop that sells second hand bikes.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
scottg

Post by scottg »

Listen to Vorpal, many people get rid of their first new bike in a couple years.
Your fit will change if you start riding a lot, your cycling interest will change.

Ask around for which bike shop has some gruff old guy in the back,
who does bike fitting, worth it to get a reasonable first fit.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++