Strong 26 inch rear wheel

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
ragudave

Strong 26 inch rear wheel

Post by ragudave »

Hi,

My current rear wheel on my mountain bike is taking a battering from potholes, cobbles and carrying my toddler on the rear of the bike. The wheel is about 6 years ago and gets commuted most days, spokes get loose and break sometimes.

Any recommendations for budget strong disc brake friendly wheels?

cheers,

Dave
Brucey

Re: Strong 26 inch rear wheel

Post by Brucey »

light, strong, cheap; choose two.

My advice; if you give wheels are hard time, get a 36H sputnik rim (cheap but strong) and have it laced to a suitable hub (eg shimano FH-M525, provided you keep it adjusted and well-lubed). Use a good wheelbuilder that knows how to stress-relieve wheels properly, and the wheel should hold up well.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

budget and strong dont go together as it means the wheel need to be hand built properly? Exal SP 19 ( if you can find one - I got a pair of rims cheap on Ebay ) also a good alternative to sputniks and I think better made & similar spoke length requirments
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Something else to consider might be to run as wide tyres as will fit, and run them at lower pressures for the same rolling resistance. You possibly already do, but 19 mm internal diameter rims will let you run anything up to 62 mm tyres, if there's clearance. You'll obviously have to run at relatively high pressures, with the (ever-increasing!) weight of your toddler on the back, but the wider the tyres, the less pressure you need to run, and the less stress you're putting through the wheel.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

I guess this is echoing what Brucey posted above....

I was after a pair of 26' wheels with the emphasis on strength. I got a pair of 36 spoke/Sputnik rim/Deore Disc hub wheels made by Spa Cycles in Harrogate....This was last May and they cost £163.00 posted.....Remember, this was for a pair, I'm sure they would just do a rear.

They are just what I wanted....strong and reliable, I would thoroughly recommend them.....AND Spa Cycles... :)
pete75

Post by pete75 »

https://www.taylor-wheels.com/bike-whee ... m525-black

All good mid range components, Deore hub,MAVIC XM119D rim and with 36 spokes should be reasonably strong. About 46 quid including post. I've had one wheel from them and quality seemed to be good ie no problems in 1500 miles so far. It arrived within 4 days of placing the order.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I wouldn't recommend an XM119 rim for this duty; the XM119 is mavic's cheapest rim of this type and it is one of the lighter weight ones too. It has no eyelets and a relatively thin inner wall. It isn't a bad rim but IIRC it is about 200g lighter than a sputnik and it is commensurately more likely to fail in rough service.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
hamster

Post by hamster »

pete75 wrote:https://www.taylor-wheels.com/bike-wheels/26-inch-bike-wheel/taylor-wheels-26inch-rear-wheel-mavic-xm119d-disc-shimano-deore-fh-m525-black

All good mid range components, Deore hub,MAVIC XM119D rim and with 36 spokes should be reasonably strong. About 46 quid including post. I've had one wheel from them and quality seemed to be good ie no problems in 1500 miles so far. It arrived within 4 days of placing the order.

Plain gauge spokes on these. I'd be looking for double butted spokes for a durable wheel - or even better with careful selection of different spoke dimensions drive and non-drive side.

For your kind of duty it looks like a good quality touring wheel - Spa are definitely high on my list.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

hamster wrote:
pete75 wrote:https://www.taylor-wheels.com/bike-wheels/26-inch-bike-wheel/taylor-wheels-26inch-rear-wheel-mavic-xm119d-disc-shimano-deore-fh-m525-black

Plain gauge spokes on these. I'd be looking for double butted spokes for a durable wheel - or even better with careful selection of different spoke dimensions drive and non-drive side.

For your kind of duty it looks like a good quality touring wheel - Spa are definitely high on my list.

I dont think plain v butted spokes that important. I think SJS builds with plain guage? I have never had trouble from plain guage, but I have from weak rims which the spokes cracked after a time at the eyelets.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

hamster wrote:

Never had any problems with plain gauge.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Brucey wrote:I wouldn't recommend an XM119 rim for this duty; the XM119 is mavic's cheapest rim of this type and it is one of the lighter weight ones too. It has no eyelets and a relatively thin inner wall. It isn't a bad rim but IIRC it is about 200g lighter than a sputnik and it is commensurately more likely to fail in rough service.

cheers

Agree, a Sputnik rim is a better choice for this purpose
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

hamster wrote:

Quality P/G spokes would do well, I would not mix gauges on a wheelbuild unless there are some veery specific needs.
Keep it simple with DT Champion or Sapim Leader
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
nez

Post by nez »

Brucey wrote:light, strong, cheap; choose two.

My advice; if you give wheels are hard time, get a 36H sputnik rim (cheap but strong) and have it laced to a suitable hub (eg shimano FH-M525, provided you keep it adjusted and well-lubed). Use a good wheelbuilder that knows how to stress-relieve wheels properly, and the wheel should hold up well.

cheers

I thought it was 'quick, cheap, good quality, choose two.' I've been mangling that for years.

I am large and carried my kids on the bike when they were little. I could pringle a wheel or break a spoke on a big wheel (usually on Snow Hill, Bath) , but not a 26. Maybe try better quality wheels? I must have got something right anyway. Went for a ride with the eldest Sunday - he's 33!