Advice on new bike

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Marcin

Advice on new bike

Post by Marcin »

Hi
I have had a Whyte Sussex 2015 for the last two years. Apart from commuting to work, I do some training (in London and whenever I can in Surrey) on it and did a few charity rides including the amazing Prudential ride last month. I'm thinking of keeping this bike for commuting and getting a better one for training/rides.
What would be the next step bike (under £1500)? I'm not that experienced with road bikes - that's why I'm asking here. The two years I've had the Whyte have developed a passion for cycling for me and recently I have been doing more and more training.

Thank you.
Brucey

Re: Advice on new bike

Post by Brucey »

well you have to ask yourself what you are going to use the bike for vs the present one, and in what ways you would like the new bike to perform differently/better vs the present one.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marcin

Post by Marcin »

Thank you for your reply. This is the problem. Not being experienced in this stuff, I'm not sure in what areas more expensive bikes are better (to justify the wide range of prices (from £500 to £5000 or more)).

I guess this is a common newbie catch-22 where a newbie asks a vague question (not being able to be more specific due to lack of knowledge on the subject) and other members have difficulty answering the question because they are not sure what the original poster is after.

In a bike for £1500, what exactly could be better/how exactly can it perform better than my £599 Whyte? I know, it could be lighter, what else? What are the common reasons that people upgrade road bikes for?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I think what Brucey meant is are you going to use it for the same things? Commuting and training?

Are you happy with a road bike, and what do you think you want from an upgrade?

What do you want for your money? Lighter and faster? More comfortable? Able to carry some luggage? Something for 200k Audax rides?

You could buy a commuter and keep your current bike for taining? Or you could use your current bike for commuting and buy a racing bike for leisure rides? Or maybe you want to try riding off road or take up cyclocross racing?

These are questions for which we need answers if we are going to offer any advice :D

If you just want a more expensive road bike, you can go for lighter, better drive train, fancy gadgets, like electronic shifting...
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Marcin

Post by Marcin »

Thank you. As mentioned, in the original post, I'd use the old one for commuting. The new one would only be for training and any sportives that I do (Thanks for mentioning Audax rides - didn't know of their existence - they sound very interesting and will definitely be interested in participating)

I'd definitely want to stay on road. When you say 'more comfortable', are there more factors to consider than just a saddle?

I'd go for either lighter/faster or more comfortable (leaning towards more comfortable).

Thank you.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Marcin wrote:Thank you. As mentioned, in the original post, I'd use the old one for commuting. The new one would only be for training and any sportives that I do (Thanks for mentioning Audax rides - didn't know of their existence - they sound very interesting and will definitely be interested in participating)

I'd definitely want to stay on road. When you say 'more comfortable', are there more factors to consider than just a saddle?

I'd go for either lighter/faster or more comfortable (leaning towards more comfortable).

Thank you.

The good news is that you go faster (arguable) and longer (unarguable) if you are more comfortable, so your priorities are definitely right :D

I think that you're probably wise to have a wander around this and other forums (like cyclechat.net) for a while to get a "feel" for what's around. The other obvious thing you can do is go and talk to your local bike shop, if it's any good, and get their views. This forum has a bias towards touring, others cater for other persuasions, so more would be better.

I'd not be looking to upgrade without that important collateral knowledge and understanding. There's a big upsurge in cycling, and many people making decisions based on "lightest and best", whereas in many cases those two may be diametrically opposing statements, at least for many riders.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Marcin wrote:Hi
I have had a Whyte Sussex 2015 for the last two years. Apart from commuting to work, I do some training (in London and whenever I can in Surrey) on it and did a few charity rides including the amazing Prudential ride last month. I'm thinking of keeping this bike for commuting and getting a better one for training/rides.
What would be the next step bike (under £1500)? I'm not that experienced with road bikes - that's why I'm asking here. The two years I've had the Whyte have developed a passion for cycling for me and recently I have been doing more and more training.

Thank you.

Get something that would have clearance for 28mm tyres, avoid disk brakes (it's too early), make sure the shop will set you properly on the bike (this can make a world of difference)
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

OP currently rides a disc-braked bike IIRC the Sussex's spec.
Marcin

Post by Marcin »

Bonefishblues wrote:The good news is that you go faster (arguable) and longer (unarguable) if you are more comfortable, so your priorities are definitely right :D

I think that you're probably wise to have a wander around this and other forums (like cyclechat.net) for a while to get a "feel" for what's around. The other obvious thing you can do is go and talk to your local bike shop, if it's any good, and get their views. This forum has a bias towards touring, others cater for other persuasions, so more would be better.

I'd not be looking to upgrade without that important collateral knowledge and understanding. There's a big upsurge in cycling, and many people making decisions based on "lightest and best", whereas in many cases those two may be diametrically opposing statements, at least for many riders.

Thank you. I think you're right. It'd probably be better for me to hung around the forums for a bit longer to get more knowledge and then decide for myself. It's not urgent so it can wait.

Additionally, it's a valid point about comfort affecting your performance.
Marcin

Post by Marcin »

Gattonero wrote:
Marcin wrote:Hi

Thank you.

Get something that would have clearance for 28mm tyres, avoid disk brakes (it's too early), make sure the shop will set you properly on the bike (this can make a world of difference)

The current bike has 28mm tyres and disk brakes. Why do you say it's too early for disk brakes?
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Bonefishblues wrote:OP currently rides a disc-braked bike IIRC the Sussex's spec.

Yes but on a road bike is a different thing.
It's too early for road hydraulic disk brakes, mechanical ones have the only advantage of saving the rims from wear but require frequent adjustment. Even a training bike should be always kept clean and maintained correctly during winter, is not just the rims/brake pads that wear out.
Marcin

Post by Marcin »

Bonefishblues wrote:OP currently rides a disc-braked bike IIRC the Sussex's spec.

Yes, you are correct.It does have such brakes.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Gattonero wrote:

It's too early for road hydraulic disk brakes, mechanical ones have the only advantage of saving the rims from wear but require frequent adjustment. Even a training bike should be always kept clean and maintained correctly during winter, is not just the rims/brake pads that wear out.

It's lunchtime. Can they only be used in the afternoon?

I jest, but perhaps you could explain your reasoning to the OP, since his and many others currently sport them.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Marcin wrote:I'd definitely want to stay on road. When you say 'more comfortable', are there more factors to consider than just a saddle?

Thank you.

There are many things to consider...

For long distance riding, like Audaxes, many people opt for a bike designed especially for that purpose. Several companies offer Audax bikes, or similar light tourers.

However, I have to be quite clear that these bikes are typically heavier than road bikes, and over shorter distances will *not* be faster. Over longer distances, though, they are likely to be. Thorn is one of the better known Audax bikes http://www.sjscycles.com/thornpdf/thorn_audax_mk3.pdf

My only Thorn is a tandem, so I cannot offer experience with this bike; I only know it by reputation.

There's also http://www.spacycles.co.uk/m1b0s21p2827 ... udax-(SRAM) which I think many people consider to be somewhat better value for money.

Audax bikes will typically have a slightly more relaxed geometry than a road bike, as well as being a bit heavier. They aren't really suited to road racing, or even going as fast as possible for a sportive that is a race in all but name. If that's what you want to do, you might be better off with a road bike upgrade. On the other hand, if you are serious about the Audux thing, go try some Audax bikes. But expect to improve your distance, rather than your speed.

The single most important aspect of comfort for any bike, however, is having it set up correctly for you. Buy your new bike from a reputable shop like Spa cycles or SJS, and get a fitting with it.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Gattonero wrote:

It's lunchtime. Can they only be used in the afternoon?

I jest, but perhaps you could explain your reasoning to the OP, since his and many others currently sport them.

mechanical ones have the only advantage of saving the rims from wear but require frequent adjustment. Even a training bike should be always kept clean and maintained correctly during winter, is not just the rims/brake pads that wear out.

Put it this way: for the same money, you can buy a better spec'd bike without disk brakes.
Disk brakes do shine only when you have to do very long descents (something not easily found in UK), as they do not overheat the rims; and/or when the roads are really muddy, the braking is predictable and there is no rim wear.
Situations a bit extreme, that most riders won't find on their road bikes.

(FWIW, the only mountain bikes I have without disk brakes is because are vintage, the new-ish ones they all have disk brakes. It makes sense)