Non standard spoking options

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Gattonero

Re: Non standard spoking options

Post by Gattonero »

Brucey wrote:
Gattonero wrote:What is wrong with 2x with 24h rims?? :?: ...

not much (given how may spokes there are) but we are talking about lacing 24 spokes into a 36h rim that isn't very stiff.

cheers

And that is the answer.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Brucey wrote:
531colin wrote:As in my first post on this thread, I'm not really recommending building up 36 hole rims with less than 36 spokes......but if somebody wants to have a play, I don't see how 12 spokes NDS and 18 DS is worse than 9 spokes NDS and 18 DS.
You can call it matching up 6 pairs of spokes NDS with 6 triplets of spokes DS, if you like. :wink:

OK but you must surely have either redrilled the rim or have put in odd length spokes somewhere and I think that does make it 'worse'...?.......

This is a boringly standard 36 hole rim....the spokes are symmetrically-placed in the rim and hub flange, so I don't see why they need to vary in length?
(ie. if you look at a pair of spokes that emerge from the hub next to an (empty) pair of diametrically-opposed holes, they diverge to meet the rim a fixed number of holes apart)

6 spokes in........

12 spokes in.....

Brucey

Post by Brucey »

OK I see what you mean!

However whilst the 18 spokes will go in OK on the other side (in a normal x2 or x3 way), the resultant wheel is going to look a bit weird isn't it...?

I guess I was (rightly or wrongly) assuming that one would always want the spoke patterns on each side of the wheel to have a comparable symmetry. I guess you could achieve that in this case by using Spanish spoking on the drive side, hence my comment about odd length spokes.

Sorry to have put you to the trouble of doing that BTW! :oops: :wink:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
531colin

Post by 531colin »

No trouble, I'm never certain if what I "visualise" is what would actually happen, in the real world.
....also, i assumed that a "weird" wheel would be if not actually the reason to do all this, at least it would be acceptable......if you did a (front?) wheel like this both sides, I suppose that would have a sort of symmetry?....and smaller gaps, as well.
...I shall resist the temptation to lace it up, although faced with the choice of lacing up or going to sleep in front of tripe on the telly, its a hard choice...