New rim on Fulcrum wheel

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
clanton

New rim on Fulcrum wheel

Post by clanton »

The rim on my rear Fulcrum Racing 5 wheel is very worn - dangerous now I think. I took it into the local bike shop and they were very disinterested. Said the bearings were shot (they seem fine to me - no play, no noise, spins freely) and that it would cost more to replace bearings and rim than wheel was worth - then tried to sell me a wheelset for £440. They also said fulcrum rims weren't compatible with other brands and so finding the right rim would be very hard.

Currently I am not flush and able to spend that on a wheelset. I can buy a MavicOpen Pro Rim for £43 and this is my preferred choice. Can anyone tell me if this will work with an older Fulcrum Racing 5 hub? I have decided I will have a go at replacing the rim myself.

Thanks for any advice!
Gattonero

Re: New rim on Fulcrum wheel

Post by Gattonero »

Like many "factory" wheelsets, Fulcrum wheels do use proprietary rims.
Those in particular, on the rear have twice the spokes on the drive side. You need to get the original part, not cheap around £60-80 I think.

If the spokes are still ok (no bends, nipples not corroded and would move free) and the hub is actually in GC (the bearings are #6001 and aren't difficult to replace), then it could make sense.

I know it sounds a bit patronizing, but in future try to keep the wheels clean, and replace the pads often: pads cost £5/pair, a lot less than a new rim :)
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I'd also suggest that if you are getting the miles in, in foul weather etc, such that rims are going to wind up being a consumable, it would make sense to use a wheelset where you can replace or rebuild the wheels at limited cost.

For a cheap (throwaway..?) roadie wheelset, look at the base model shimano. For seventy-odd quid a pair it is hard to argue against it.

For a repairable road bike wheelset, get a set of 32 spoke wheels which use a common rim erd; replacement rims for such wheelsets can be about £20 a go.

BTW as the post above suggests, you won't be able to fit an open pro rim onto your present hub; the hub will be meant for triplet spoking and the rim won't be.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clanton

Post by clanton »

Thanks for the advice. Will prob op for another wheelset....