Campy shifter repairable?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
rotavator

Campy shifter repairable?

Post by rotavator »

The indexing has gone from my rear gear shifter and I was wondering:
1. Is this repairable or would I have to buy a whole new lever?
2. Is repair a DIY job and where I would I would buy the bits that need replacing? I am fairly competent at fixing things.

It is Campagnola Centaur, 10 speed, bought in 2006. I can still change the gears but there is no clicking or indexing.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Campy shifter repairable?

Post by Mick F »

Yes, it is repairable.
Sounds like it's the G Springs.

Watch this video to see how it's done.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OocYpHXJ3Y
This is Record, but it's basically the same. I've stripped and repaired mine a few times, 9sp as well as 10sp.

You can telephone Mercian. and they'll get the spare parts for you.
http://www.merciancycles.co.uk/contact-us
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if it is 2006, lucky you, this was the last year of 'easily repairable Ergos' before they went into 'QS' and 'Escape' nonsense.

Like Mick says, usually G springs.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

That was very quick and useful!

I will have to have a tinker.

Thanks
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Enjoy! :D

I have a small vice that I can use on the kitchen table. I clamp an Allen key in the vice and the Ergo sits on it so I can work on it.
I tried originally to just hold the Ergo in my hands, but you need two hands to strip and reassemble. By holding the Ergo steady on a stand, you can operate easily.

You can see the idea on the video.

Screwdriver, long-nose pliers, Allen key or two. Maybe some tweezers .............. and a good pair of spectacles. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
MartynWheeler

Post by MartynWheeler »

Just did mine, actually very straightforward - bought new springs and carrier from Paul Hewitt cycles. Be patient and very careful with the disassembly as springs can pop out apparently. There's a great description with diagrams in Zinn and the art of road bike maintenance. Took about an hour and now shifts perfectly with a satisfying click.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

rotavator wrote:The indexing has gone from my rear gear shifter and I was wondering:
1. Is this repairable or would I have to buy a whole new lever?
2. Is repair a DIY job and where I would I would buy the bits that need replacing? I am fairly competent at fixing things.

It is Campagnola Centaur, 10 speed, bought in 2006. I can still change the gears but there is no clicking or indexing.

If is 2006 it can be either the "traditional" type or the "escape" type.
The former, has the shift button that can go down to 5 clicks in one movement. The latter, has the shift button that makes ONE click per movement; this type wears out quicker, and will require to replace the whole body with internals. The positive side is that becomes a quick job that can be done by most (just transfer the rubber hood and the brake lever from the old to new shifter body)
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The traditional Ergo will go ALL the clicks on the button in one go.
ie 9sp has eight clicks and 10sp has nine clicks ................ all in one single press of the button. The further you press, the more the clicks.

The paddle will only do up to three clicks per stroke.
Mick F. Cornwall
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Mick F wrote:The traditional Ergo will go ALL the clicks on the button in one go.
ie 9sp has eight clicks and 10sp has nine clicks ................ all in one single press of the button. The further you press, the more the clicks.

The paddle will only do up to three clicks per stroke.

No it won't, unless you get the button to rear the opposite end of the shifter body :shock:
On Traditional (and the current modern shape or Chorus/Record/S.R. too) In a single stroke the button goes down four clicks.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sorry.
You are wrong.

My 10sp Chorus Ergos are 2006 vintage, and they do nine clicks on the button(s) ................ both of them, R and L.

My Mirage 9sp Ergos were 2004 vintage, and they did eight clicks, both L and R.
Mick F. Cornwall
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Puzzled, so I just went to the shed to check
1992 8 Speed Record.
1998 8 Speed Veloce.
2010 10 Speed Centaur.
All are 3 on the lever and 5 on the button. Not that the fifth would be inaccessible unless you had very long and double jointed thumbs. I certainly recall Campag advertising change 5 in one direction and 3 in the other. I certainly do not recall a claim that they can go from one end of the block to the other in a single sweep.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Just done a check on my 9 speed (pre 2000) Veloce.
P.S. these are off the bike, not connected.

Right shifter = 4 clicks on the paddle (8 clicks in all) and, as Mick says, it will go all the way back in one push on the button. BUT this requires the button to travel right round to the other side (180 degrees)

Left shifter = paddle 5 clicks per push and, as above, it will go all the way back in one push of the button.
BUT this unit has 12 (twelve clicks) in all. :shock: ( Work that out :? )

Practically though you can only operate the buttons about 45 degrees with the thumb so limiting the return to a few clicks.

I know this is now off topic so perhaps we could do a new one on Campag' shift patterns. :idea:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

cycleruk wrote: .......... as Mick says, it will go all the way back in one push on the button. BUT this requires the button to travel right round to the other side (180 degrees)
Well, there's something different with yours vs mine here.
Mine will do all nine clicks easily with the thumb. Just checked now.

Looking from the front (RH Ergo), the button sits at rest at 3 o'clock.
Pressing all nine clicks, it only goes to 7 o'clock = 120 degrees.
Mick F. Cornwall
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Mick F wrote:
cycleruk wrote: .......... as Mick says, it will go all the way back in one push on the button. BUT this requires the button to travel right round to the other side (180 degrees)
Well, there's something different with yours vs mine here.
Mine will do all nine clicks easily with the thumb. Just checked now.

Looking from the front (RH Ergo), the button sits at rest at 3 o'clock.
Pressing all nine clicks, it only goes to 7 o'clock = 120 degrees.

Only guestimate in the angle in my test. Just rechecked and yes about 120 deg'. Still I wouldn't be able to operate the full button movement as the thumb won't bend that far.
What does surprise me is the 12 clicks on the left ergo which I used on a triple.
I do have a 2008 10 speed Centaur QS which is nothing like as good as the old Veloce. Only one click on the buttons and maybe 3 on the paddles. :x
I keep thinking I will get the Veloce 9 upgraded to 10 speed but the cost puts me off. :(
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Mick F wrote:Sorry.
You are wrong.

My 10sp Chorus Ergos are 2006 vintage, and they do nine clicks on the button(s) ................ both of them, R and L.

My Mirage 9sp Ergos were 2004 vintage, and they did eight clicks, both L and R.

Can you give us a video? That is technically not possible. Although the Rh shift button engages on a micro ratchet, ultimately commands the index ring inside, which has finite positions per each index. The index ring will make a movement that is almost 180º, when going from 1st to the last gear (doesn't matter how many).
The dark-grey part in the pic below is the index ring, at 3:00 the is the point where the cable is fixed. This part -now on the top gear- will end at 9:00 when in the opposite -lowest- gear.
Given this, you have to explain me how can you turn that ring of 180º with one stroke of the shift button? Unless, as said before, one has double-jointed thumb.
But as a matter of fact, why does the button work as a ratchet, if you were to get all the gears in one stroke? And the slot for the shift button to run does not go 180º around the shifter :wink: