Squealing brakes

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
rmurphy195

Squealing brakes

Post by rmurphy195 »

Brakes are TRP spyre disc brakes. On some hilly descents I get brake squeal - the classic noise you used to hear from buses and trucks!

If it was the car I'd smear a bit of copper ease over the backs of the brake pads - anyone tried this on bike brakes?
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
rotavator

Re: Squealing brakes

Post by rotavator »

I have used copper grease on the backs of my brake pads and it has worked sometimes but not the last time I tried so they still squal badly. I have seen several blogs recommending organic or resin pads to reduce or stop squealing on road bikes in dry conditions whereas sintered pads seem to be preferred for MTBs and wet conditions. I am going to give resin pads a go next.
Mr Evil

Post by Mr Evil »

I have tried quite a lot of things to stop the horrendous squealing with my brakes (also Spyres) when it rains.

• Copper grease: Does't really do anything.
  • Different discs: Ones with fewer/smaller holes stopped the slight vibration I had with the standard discs, but don't change the squealing.
  • Various brands of organic pad: The same as the standard pads (no surprise, as the standard pads are organic).
  • Various brands of sintered pad: Slightly more noise in the dry, but no squealing in the wet.
  • Other pads: Semi-metallic, kevlar etc. Various degrees of squealing depending on how similar to organic pads they are.

Therefore I would suggest trying sintered pads.
dragonrider

Post by dragonrider »

I fitted TRP-HY calipers to my winter disc braked Specialized a couple of years ago. The original pads were, I think, resin. They squealed and wore out very quickly on wet rides ( about 1000 miles life). So I bought sintered pads and have found no squealing and much improved braking. Pad life also looks as if it is going to be much better as I have done more than 1000 miles on these and there is plenty of pad left.

Incidentally, and not sure if this is relevant to you, but Shimano own brand discs seem to not have a very good fan club. Mechanics warn that you can only use resin pads with them, and also because they are not a machined finish they lack "bite". This is secondhand info I would stress, but from a usually reliable source.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Pads are sintered - they are very noisy anyway in the dry but almost silent when wet! But the loud squealing on steep hills is just embarassing! The LBS replaced the original pads with these to try and eliminate chattering (since done by simply following the TRP video)

Maybe I'll try non-sintered pads - anyone any recommendations (apart from Shimano by the sound of it, shame since I have a pair in stock). Then maybe I'll have quieter brakes all round again (hopes)
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !