Chain stay - angle?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Sweep

Chain stay - angle?

Post by Sweep »

Anyone care to tell me what the term "angle" means opposite "chain stay" in this front mech spec?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod83479

thanks in advance = looking for a mech for an old bike and though I've fitted a few front mechs in my time only just realised how potentially complicated it can be - maybe I was just lucky before :)
Sweep
Norman H

Re: Chain stay - angle?

Post by Norman H »

I'll have a go.

It's pretty meaningless in the the context that they have used it because they don't give it a value.

It is, I believe, the included angle between the chainstay and the seat tube and defines how far you can lower the mech before the rear of the cage hits the chainstay. Ideally your chainstay angle should correspond to that which Shimano quote. A larger angle than recommended will mean that you can probably operate with a smaller outer chainwheel than that recommended by Shimano,
Sweep

Re: Chain stay - angle?

Post by Sweep »

Yes that's what I was thinking Norman.

Sometimes Chain Reaction's tech specs can be somewhat vague/partial, or, in my experience, even wrong.

I guess I'll just ignore it and trust to luck since I don't see anything particularly unusual in the frame I may be putting it on.
Sweep