Disaster - Leads to a question ultegra 9 speed

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
DarkNewt

Disaster - Leads to a question ultegra 9 speed

Post by DarkNewt »

HI All,

I just took part in a charity cycle ride for Hunters Hill Technology College for disadvantaged kids leaving from Coventry Uni where I work to our london campus, problem is the route they chose went a bit off road... Long story short my commute bike a speciallized sirrus pro took a side swipe into a rock, a few miles later my rear wheel collapsed and ripped my derraileur in two while it was at it (it had just had some spokes replaced and trued).

I had to do the remainder of the day on a loan bike way too small so the 2nd day I took my own route.. But it was a great adventure for a good cause. At the end of the second day I was lucky to find a really helpful bike shop (The Stanley Bridge Cycles and Sports Waltham Abbey)who had a reasonable rear wheel, but had to improvise on the rest of the bits to get it rideable for the next day... low end chain sprocket and derraileur but I was so grateful to at least ride my own bike on the last day and for the bikeshops help. I ended up with a visit to the hospital to get a brace for my wrist as riding a bike way too small for me caused previous nerve damage to resurface..

I finished the ride with a brace and on painkillers/anti-inflamatories... thanks to the local A&E who also insisted on an x-ray due to my fingers looking like five cumberland sausauges... anyhow enough of my tales of woe.. to the actual question!!

My sirrus is a few years old (its the half carbon model carbon forks rear stays etc..) and I am now finding it impossible to get a new 9 speed ultegra 6500 rear mech I calculate I need a small cage (ss) but can get away with a medium (thats what was orginally on it). So I am throwing it out there whats my options, buy second hand or is their a new option that's compatible?

ohh and did i mention when I got back I went to change the rear pads on the tektro drago rear disc brake (hydraulic) and when I was changing the pads the rh piston fell out and all of the fluid drained so now I have to strip that and find out whats going... as well as track down the exact rear hanger for the derraileur as the other one was bent back into place and so I have no trust in it whatsoever and there are soo many rear hangers from specialized.

The irony is it's going to end up costing me way more than I actually raised towards the charity!! If you want the link to their donate page PM me it's a great cause and they help kids from traumatised or disadvantaged backgrounds, the staff who came along are simply loving dedicated people! I was probably the oldest cyclist there and having done a fair distance touring I was impressed with some of the young ones who had never done over a few miles by bike keeping to a 50+ miles per day!

Thanks for any advice as always guys..

P.S. I have considered just buying another one secondhand probably cheaper but the bikes got loads of miles left in it and I hate to waste stuff.
Currently planning my next adventure and trying to get over two operations in 6 months but still going strong!
email: newt@systems-engineer.info web: thedarknewt.blogspot.co.uk
keyboardmonkey

Re: Disaster - Leads to a question ultegra 9 speed

Post by keyboardmonkey »

The 6700 should do you. Not cheap, mind:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... -prod85967

Annoyingly, the 11spd 6800 is cheaper, but not compatible with your 9spd setup.
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

keyboardmonkey wrote:The 6700 should do you. Not cheap, mind:

sorry for my ignorance :D it says 10spd are you sure it's compatible with 9 spd?
Currently planning my next adventure and trying to get over two operations in 6 months but still going strong!
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

DarkNewt wrote:

sorry for my ignorance :D it says 10spd are you sure it's compatible with 9 spd?

The short answer is that it will work for such a ROAD setup. Any 11spd road rear mech - and latest (4700) 10 spd Tiagra - won't be compatible because of the different amount of cable pull the very latest groupsets have. Going from 6500 to 6700 will be fine.
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

keyboardmonkey wrote:
DarkNewt wrote:

The short answer is that it will work for such a ROAD setup. Any 11spd road rear mech - and latest (4700) 10 spd Tiagra - won't be compatible because of the different amount of cable pull the very latest groupsets have. Going from 6500 to 6700 will be fine.

Hey, thanks for the help!! looks like thats my option :D
meic

Post by meic »

Logically, I would be inclined to buy a cheaper model derailleur (Tiagra, 105) and salvage the superior pulley wheels from the broken one.
However I can also imagine, emotionally, not wishing to fit a lesser component on a bike that is a luxury quality item.
Yma o Hyd
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

meic wrote:Logically, I would be inclined to buy a cheaper model derailleur (Tiagra, 105) and salvage the superior pulley wheels from the broken one.
However I can also imagine, emotionally, not wishing to fit a lesser component on a bike that is a luxury quality item.

I was just about to add that! The 5700 rear mech is half the price of Ultegra.
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

meic wrote:Logically, I would be inclined to buy a cheaper model derailleur (Tiagra, 105) and salvage the superior pulley wheels from the broken one.

Unfortunately the bike shope kept the two halves of the derailleur and im fairly proud of the fact it "was- past tense" a quality item but now has a lot of miles on it scratches and (odd wheels) but only just getting comfortable hehe
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

DarkNewt wrote:..... my commute bike a speciallized sirrus pro took a side swipe into a rock, a few miles later my rear wheel collapsed and ripped my derraileur in two while it was at it (it had just had some spokes replaced and trued). ....

all very unfortunate but a likely (alternative) explanation is that

a) the knock with the rock bent your rear mech inwards
b) the next time you went for bottom gear the mech went in the spokes (because it was already bent)
c) the mech tore the rear wheel to bits, not the other way round.

IIRC the Sirrus used a GS (long cage) version of the RD-6500 mech.

If you want to use the same or wider gear range anyway, you can fit a 9s MTB mech; it will work just as well. Shimano 9s MTB mechs start around £15.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

Brucey wrote:
DarkNewt wrote:..... my commute bike a speciallized sirrus pro took a side swipe into a rock, a few miles later my rear wheel collapsed and ripped my derraileur in two while it was at it (it had just had some spokes replaced and trued). ....

all very unfortunate but a likely (alternative) explanation is that

a) the knock with the rock bent your rear mech inwards
b) the next time you went for bottom gear the mech went in the spokes (because it was already bent)
c) the mech tore the rear wheel to bits, not the other way round.

IIRC the Sirrus used a GS (long cage) version of the RD-6500 mech.

If you want to use the same or wider gear range anyway, you can fit a 9s MTB mech; it will work just as well. Shimano 9s MTB mechs start around £15.

cheers

Hey brucey, I would agree but I was there :D the wheel bent I felt it buckle and go - when it went I was on a flat and hadn't changed gear also the wheel had recieved a good twist a short while before when i did a run along from coventry to Birmingham via canal which needed it to be trued and some new spokes prior to the ride. But i agree the mech ended up in the wheel which is how it ended up in half :-) I also just checked the video from my camera - im cycling steady no gear change and you can hear it going then i kinda stop.

I want to stay with the ultegra for the rear mech, the shifting always seemed really good and I liked the setup, I just won't take it onto muddy pathless canals again... some of the riders had road bikes which was ridiculous for them... awful route plan and one lad came off took a smack to his leg, managed to help him off but he couldn't continue cycling that day but really tough youngster was back on his bike next day with a limp... being middleaged now (ahem) it was great to ride with some younger people and know the younger generation are just as tough/resiliant as we ever were... I have to admit I hadn't got a lot in common with them and felt like a fish out of water at some points but great seeing their tenacity! Mine was just stubborness hehe
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Organising a multi-day ride for youngsters who have never cycled more than a few miles, faced with the choice between a canal towpath or a busy/dangerous/unpleasant main road, I would go for the towpath every time. Was the route made available before the event?
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

531colin wrote:Organising a multi-day ride for youngsters who have never cycled more than a few miles, faced with the choice between a canal towpath or a busy/dangerous/unpleasant main road, I would go for the towpath every time. Was the route made available before the event?

Hi,

nope it wasn't made available they were also told that we were experienced riders ... not blaming them just felt it was an awful route would prefer to have gone b roads longer than canal stop start slip
drossall

Post by drossall »

There's a little-used Ultegra 9 mech for sale on another forum (last item, after the Ultegra 10).

Usual disclaimers, seller nothing to do with me.
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

drossall wrote:There's a little-used Ultegra 9 mech for sale on another forum (last item, after the Ultegra 10).

Usual disclaimers, seller nothing to do with me.

hiya registered waiting for aproval to check it out!
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

I've got a 9 speed mech from a Sirrus at home; I can check the model next week if you're still looking for one.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my XT1039 using hovercraft full of eels.