SPA CYCLES Elan

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
PH

SPA CYCLES Elan

Post by PH »

Well we've been treated to glimpses of the prototype for some time, but Spa's new do it all bike has, as the website says, just landed.
I think I'm in love.
http://www.spacycles.co.uk/m1b0s21p3553 ... compact%29
531colin

Re: SPA CYCLES Elan

Post by 531colin »

Yeah, but the camera work flatters the workshop...... :wink:
honesty

Post by honesty »

Put a triple on for touring (and maybe a dynamo front wheel) and this is the bike I want. Damn it. I dont have 2 grand spare...
honesty

Post by honesty »

I notice also that it's got a new Spa saddle on it as well. looks like a Charge Spoon style one. Rather nice.
pwa

Post by pwa »

This bike could be a deluxe commuter. I found that year-round commuting resulted in me wearing wheel rims away at the rate of about one pair every two years. Rim brakes on steep hills combined with winter grit to do the damage. For a ten mile commute I could accept the less springy fork for the sake of wheel durability.

Nice looking bike, too.
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

That looks like exactly what I've been waiting for SPA to release :-)
Shame I bought something else in the meantime :-(

Is there to be a steel version as well?
I'm hoping frame only will also be an option at some point.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

So “Damascus” didn’t make the cut. But Elan’s a nice name.

It seems like a versatile, modern bicycle, with the added cachet of titanium, a full carbon fork, a fat headset (what size is it?), and hydraulic discs. Surely there’s a decent market for this if word gets out about its availability.

honesty wrote:Put a triple on for touring

There’s a triple too, though of course it forgoes the hydraulics in favour of mechanical discs.

pwa wrote:For a ten mile commute I could accept the less springy fork for the sake of wheel durability.

It does have 32 mm tyres, so there will be plenty of spring in the tyre if not the fork.

I like the subtle logo treatment. Much better than gold.

Curious if it will be sold as a frame too. Plus, we need those big geometry charts Spa is famous for!
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

I've also just noticed that Spa seem to be selling full-bike options of the Aravis 631* Audax and touring frames under their own name as well now, but in limited sizes, is this a new thing or have I just not noticed before?

This seems a little odd as they compete almost directly with the existing Spa Steel tourer and Spa Steel Audax frames/builds, I hope they're not going to be discontinued!

*at least that's what they look like but correct me if I'm wrong. Same frames available from Hewitt/Vernon Barker/Schmoos/Pearson
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Off-topic: is this and this also new?

Edit: ah, amediasatex mentioned these above. Only some sizes are available (albeit uncommon ones). There is nothing between 44 cm and 58 cm for the Touring or 44 cm and 54 cm for the Audax.
Last edited by Samuel D on 28 Sep 2016, 10:15am, edited 1 time in total.
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

they're what I was on about in my post above, so yes, either new or you didn't notice them before either!
Si

Post by Si »

The tall front end means you can get the bars level with the saddle

Music to my ears.....my only task now is to have some children so that I can then sell them to buy the bike.

...but how fat a cX tyre will it take?
pwa

Post by pwa »

I think getting rid of the gold stuck-on logos is a good idea. Removing those was the first thing I did with my titanium Spa frame.
John_S

Post by John_S »

That really is a lovely looking and well thought out bike which could cover a lot of bases for uses!

Looking at the website (I could easily be missing this) but is there a link to a geometry chart? I couldn't see one but it could easily just be me missing it.

Thanks,

John
fast but dim

Post by fast but dim »

Looks perfect!
titanium, discs, full rack mounts... One bike to do it all?
mig

Post by mig »

how are the wheels pictured different / uprated ? from the originals aimed at rim brakes?