Trek Madone 3.1

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
hondated

Trek Madone 3.1

Post by hondated »

After literally spending months accumulating the parts I have just built up this bike frame a frame set I brought on Ebay.
The parts I have brought are Shimano 6800 -11 speed with 11 speed wheels but unfortunately the smallest rear sprocket appears to be far too close
to the rear stay so can I ask if anyone can tell me whether its not possible to fit 11 speed equipment to a frame set that was one 10 speed.
I just assumed that the rear spacing was the same on both bikes.
tim-b

Re: Trek Madone 3.1

Post by tim-b »

Hi
The 11s cassette is ~1.85mm wider than 10s, would that be the difference??
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Sometimes the smallest sprocket will run very close. You can't have got this wrong - there aren't 10 speed and 11 speed frames.

If there is a spacer on the freehub body which was put on first, it may be fine without it. Any such spacer is designed to provide a little clearance so that the RD doesn't hit the spokes, and can often be dispensed with.

Extra care when fitting/removing rear wheel required.
I should coco.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Back in the days of 8 speed I had a steel Dave Hinde frame that would not take a small Campag sprocket. I had to have a smallest of something like 13t to get the chain to stay clear of the frame.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

a simple test; wheel out, fit the chain around the smallest sprocket, and see if the hub locknut protrudes beyond the chain or not. If not, you need to move the cassette on the freehub body (is it mounted correctly?) or (more likely) respace the hub.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
hondated

Post by hondated »

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply and the advice you offered.
I think Brucey put his finger on the problem as I checked the cassette and it was a bit wobbly so I removed and replaced it. In the process of fitting the smaller sprockets I noticed that you could fit them wrongly but still get the hub holder screw back in.
So another lesson learnt for me then.