Bar bag fittings blocking lights

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Tangled Metal

Bar bag fittings blocking lights

Post by Tangled Metal »

I've got a carradice bar bag which uses what I think is a klickfix fitting. It sticks out a lot and my cateye volt front light and second light on the other side get blocked a bit by it. I want to leave the bracket on the because I want to be.able to use the bag as.needed without having to re-fit the bracket each time.

Does anyone have this issue? What do you do with lighting?

The thing is I don't really use the bar bag apart from touring and the odd short day ride with family. Most of the time I'm not using it, this includes at least 3 days of commuting to work with the bike. My ideal solution would be a bracket that clips on and off quickly and easily. Kind of a small part of it remains on the bars but the bulk that sticks out a lot and holds the bag clips on.

Any suggestions?

Should I just take it off until needed? Will it be damaged taking it on and off a few times? It's the bracket with the wire part.

BTW my partner has a topeak bar bag which seems to use a neater and smaller bracket. I don't think it would work with my bag though. A smaller bracket could be one solution.
PH

Re: Bar bag fittings blocking lights

Post by PH »

One of these puts your light above the bracket, probably not high enough to clear the bag, but I don't think that's what you're asking.
https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/kli ... oChirw_wcB
Or just the smaller central part which is big enough for one light
https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/kli ... aid:447057
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I just want a means to use lights without a shadow being created by the bracket without the bag being used. Either a smaller bracket that doesn't stick out much to block the light projection or a bracket that takes the light out beyond the bracket somehow.

I think those brackets will help but not sure they would completely work. Interested to know if anyone uses them and if it works?
PH

Post by PH »

Tangled Metal wrote:I think those brackets will help but not sure they would completely work. Interested to know if anyone uses them and if it works?

Yes I use one, without the bag it works fine, no shadow at all used with a couple of different lights. It's high enough that the light would need to be pointing at the wheel to cast a significant shadow.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I'm curious now. The photo of it I've seen shows this fitting angling back towards the rider. Would it not work better pointing forwards? It doesn't look like it would stick beyond the main klickfix bracket such that it would interfere with opening the bag.

Would make more sense to be more forwards to.minimize shadow with or without the bag.
PH

Post by PH »

As I had the camera out for a bit of Ebaying, I thought a photo might be better than the description

Imagelight brk by Paul, on Flickr
PH

Post by PH »

Tangled Metal wrote:I'm curious now. The photo of it I've seen shows this fitting angling back towards the rider. Would it not work better pointing forwards? It doesn't look like it would stick beyond the main klickfix bracket such that it would interfere with opening the bag.

Would make more sense to be more forwards to.minimize shadow with or without the bag.

Shadow with the bag fitted would depend on how high the bag sits on the bracket and how much it protruded out. My 8L Vaude bag means I can't use the light with it, a friend has a smaller bag, Agu I think,that sits almost flush with the bracket. I have a spare plate and intend to convert a small camera bag for handlebar use.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

I have the exact same problem and solved it by putting the fitting on upside down so the light is below the bars rather than above.

I guess it would depend on the particular fitting and the optics of the light whether it works or not, but it solved it for me.
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

I have an Altura bar bag with the Rixen and Kaul multiclip plus (as it was then called).

At night to avoid casting a shadow it is necessary to tilt the bar bag down at the front. On the bike I use it on the head tube is only 10.5cm high, so I have to take the front pocket off the bar bag to avoid it being scuffed by the front wheel. Anyway, some photos if they might help:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cycleseve ... 9923743421
Last edited by keyboardmonkey on 7 Oct 2016, 7:14am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Smith SRCC

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

Quite a few with QR clips can mount in the drops

Last edited by Paul Smith SRCC on 21 Mar 2020, 4:30pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
Penmere

Post by Penmere »

My solution, I've used a rubber door stop but proper brackets are available. Will only work of course if you have the front pannier braze-ons
bracket.jpg
bracket.jpg (59.55 KiB) Viewed 594 times
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Penmere wrote:My solution, I've used a rubber door stop but proper brackets are available. Will only work of course if you have the front pannier braze-ons bracket.jpg

Good old mk1 Tricross!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

A good solid bracket can also be done with the top of an old alluminium fork steerer. cut a length of 3-4cm, the star nut inside makes a good fixing point.
The best thing is, you can get an old steerer for free from any decent bike shop 8)
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...