Tool Kit for day to day use

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Sweep

Re: Tool Kit for day to day use

Post by Sweep »

samsbike wrote:I am curious when have you found the Swiss Army knife useful? I am intrigued because while I think it's a good idea I don't remember ever needing one.

Can opener. Corkscrew.Nice flat screwdriver head for poking bits out of tyres. Thing that fits on corkscrew for tightening screw on specs.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

landsurfer wrote:Fortunately the beautiful Julie came to the rescue, and didn't giggle too much .....

ah the old standing by the road all coy like looking like a giggling useless man. Trust you got a result.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

landsurfer wrote:My wife is retired (i'm not bitter .....) a.

ah, revises above comment - Julie is the wife?
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Following the advice of the esteemed Colin of this nice place a pair of bootlaces from Mountain Warehouse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4

though he uses something different.

Saved me many tears beside a yorkshire canal in the rain and more recently somewhere warmer on a 20 inch wheel with some nice conti tyres that would have otherwise been unfittable.
Sweep
meic

Post by meic »

Sweep wrote:
meic wrote:It doesnt have any traditional spanners so I carry a small Bahco adjustable too.

Maybe very stupid question, but what do you use this for?

I rate Bahco - I have a big one for bottom brackets etc.

+ 1 to the Topeak Hexus.

Or Alien II but the Hexus will do most things.

I very rarely use any of my tool kit. It went in the kit when I was riding a bike which was built before allen bolts were used anywhere except the chainrings. I have used it on mudguard stays and brake cable clamps. Quite a few bolts on my bikes are still bolts instead of allen bolts.
The U clamps to fit a front low rider rack need to use nuts to secure the rack, the locknuts behind some rackbolts.
I thought it worked quite well having an allen headed bolt and an ordinary nut on it as you cant use your allen key or spanner at both ends at once. Though I noticed it was not uncommon on the bike to have a 9mm bolt head and a 10mm nut to avoid this problem a bit.
The clamps for the post type brakes use an Allen key to position and an ordinary nut to tighten them in place.
Yma o Hyd
mjr

Post by mjr »

keyboardmonkey wrote:When I've taken the pannier rack off this is my little lot that goes in the underseat pack:

(Not pictured: spoke key, folding tyre that fits on the loops outside the seat pack and Smart light that slots on to a smaller loop)

underseat pack contents 640px.jpg

I think the same or similar contents have been mentioned by others upthread, but I'm not sure if anyone has included a replacement rear derailleur hanger.

I don't always have a rear derailleur ;)

I think I spy hex bits and ratchet hex socket there. I feel they're underrated by cyclists. I also swapped out my flick-multitool in favour of a lighter ¼" square driver 20cm sliding bar and sockets (including 14mm to put cranks on enough to get home) and adapters for the hex socket to ¼" drive and vice-versa, so I have a couple of options for most annoying double-sided fixings like racks, guards, brackets or brake arms. The hex keys in the flick were already duplicated by hex bits. The two drivers and bits weigh less than the flick and extra small tools for things missing from the flick.

I think I also have a CT-5 mini chain tool, quick links (SS and 5-8 speed), small adjustable wrench, some cable ties, tape, tyre levers, patch kit and mini floor pump. Last addition to my pack was a pair of strong blue nitrile gloves.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Roadster

Post by Roadster »

Tangled Metal wrote:Last time I bought a knife, cybertool for £30 which I has a lot of functions, the Leathermans in full size cost from double that.

I hate having to labour the point but, as I'd already pointed out, that's simply not true: the new Leatherman Rev is "lightweight full size" as clearly stated on its blister pack, and is widely available for around £30. The related Wingman and Sidekick (with more but slightly different functions) can both also be bought for much less than £60.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

one of these

when you would be better off with some proper bike tools? More than half the tools are of little or no use in a 'daily bike toolkit' context and the remainder are of use only very infrequently or are easily replaced in your toolkit with something cheaper, better, lighter and/or easier to use.

FWIW whenever I have used such a tool for more than ten seconds, for anything remotely serious, it has gouged my hands to pieces ( e.g. there are no proper handle grips for the 'pliers'... :roll: ) and/or has threatened to fold back on itself without warning and do me more harm than good. I've then cursed myself for being so stupid as to try and use such a thing and have gone and got myself the right tool for the job instead.

Not a priority in my bicycle toolkit; even if it only cost £5 and weighed half as much I probably wouldn't bother.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Heltor Chasca

Tool Kit for day to day use

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I've got a 12 year old Leatherman Wave. Almost every flathead has a chip. Even the tiny sunglasses one. I think LM has got the hardness wrong. Too brittle. The pliers are good IMO for light stuff and thorns and the blades excellent. (Knives & mini-saw) I'm afraid I don't know enough about files to comment. Files are real anorak territory.
Roadster

Post by Roadster »

I do have proper bike tools, Brucey, and have not endorsed the Leatherman Rev nor recommended others to include one in their kit. I have simply expressed my intention to buy one for other reasons and corrected an obvious misconception

I'm sorry to hear of your painful experiences with "such a tool" but if you will waste your money on cheap substitutes, then you've only yourself to blame. Those mishaps would not have occurred if you'd stumped up for the genuine article instead of an inferior copy, because the Leatherman has a locking blade and the other tools are designed so that they cannot fold back when used correctly. You would not then have needed to curse yourself for being so stupid as to try and use such a thing: you should have gone and got yourself the right tool for the job instead. :)
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

FWIW I've used leatherman tools as well as knock offs and whilst the former are (usually) better than the latter, (and certainly better than nothing if you are in a bind) they are certainly subject to most of the criticisms I have levelled. YMMV, of course.

BTW carrying locking blades (or non-locking folding blades over a certain length, 3" I think) in public 'without good cause' is considered to be illegal in the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

So if you are carrying a leatherman tool with a locking blade you can expect to have to justify its presence or risk prosecution if the law takes an interest in you and your tools.

Arguing the toss about (as an earlier post put it) the chances of 'getting into a survival situation whilst riding on a canal towpath' is unlikely to cut much ice; it is probably better not to carry this kind of thing in the first place. If you want to have a cutting tool in your toolkit, I'd suggest carrying a (well wrapped) Stanley knife blade in there; this will cut anything, weigh nothing, and cost peanuts.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Roadster

Post by Roadster »

Thank you for your concern, Brucey, but I think I can justify its presence in my bike's sealed toolkit in the unlikely event of the law taking an interest in a 67-year-old cyclist and his tools. Not that I'd need to, however, because the Rev's blade is only 2.6" in length...
meic

Post by meic »

Not that I'd need to, however, because the Rev's blade is only 2.6" in length...

the exemption for under 3" blades is only for folding knives not lock knives.
Yma o Hyd
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

meic wrote:
Not that I'd need to, however, because the Rev's blade is only 2.6" in length...

C'est corigé. Any locking knife. I carry my LM but as a gardener (in uniform) I have a smidge of an excuse. Just a smidge.
freiston

Post by freiston »

meic wrote:

and I dare say that in case of an unforeseen event occurring where it might be useful, would not be considered good reason (and good reason is a requirement for carrying a lock knife according to the link above) - I reckon the court/police would require a reason to be specific and predetermined for it to be 'good'. That is my opinion without experience or research, I hasten to add.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)