H plus son TB 14 rims

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
iow

Re: H plus son TB 14 rims

Post by iow »

average? both gp4000's (28) and marathons (32) fit easily enough with thumbs only and come off easily with a pair of basic plastic levers.
mark
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

Excellent,thanks have ordered a pair of ano grey with silver xt hub from Spa. Approx 10 days as specials, but worth the wait. I take it IOW that you are from the Isle of Wight. Have you ever come across Bloodstone Morris, great bunch of guys and girls.
iow

Post by iow »

yostumpy wrote: I take it IOW that you are from the Isle of Wight. Have you ever come across Bloodstone Morris, great bunch of guys and girls.

had to google them. born on the island and lived here most of my life - never heard of them..
I think you'll be pleased with the wheels.
mark
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

Bit of an update on this, the rear 36 spoke wheel has developed some hairline cracks around a few drive side spoke eyelets. Having said this, they have covered over 40,000km! Hmm, disc brake wheel. The rear hub is also not very well, and sounds and feels rough. So I have 2 options.
1) New 36 'polished silver' sp TB14 rear rim in new Deore hub, (rims are now £60 ea!)
or
New 36 sp Exal LX17 rear rim on new Deore hub (LX @ £29 ea), plus a matching 32 sp LX17 on existing Son dynohub.

My thinking
1) = £60 + £25= £85 plus build and postage.
or
2) = £29 + £25 = £54 ...+ £29 = £83 plus 2 builds and postage.

I do like things to match, BUT my rims were originally anodised, but I removed this by dipping in caustic soda, so they are now 'almost but not very polished silver, and a new polished will not match either?

Now a Further question re the LX17, what are they like with tyre on/off, say Marathon Greenguard. My Chrinas were awful, but the TB14 were really good.Thanks all.
Cyclothesist

Post by Cyclothesist »

My 2 penneth FWIW..They've done well after 8 years and 40K km. I can't imagine a caustic soda bath did much for the aluminium other than to dissolve some and leave the remainder open to corrosion. Is that really a wise thing to do?
If the front has covered the same ground and had the same treatment as the rear you may be well advised going for the LX17s.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

yostumpy wrote: 19 Apr 2024, 12:23pm Bit of an update on this, the rear 36 spoke wheel has developed some hairline cracks around a few drive side spoke eyelets...... The rear hub is also not very well, and sounds and feels rough. .....
I don't think your front wheel is quite ready to be pensioned off just yet; it probably just needs to be polished. I would also say that whatever is wrong with your rear hub, it can be fixed if you really want, even if it means regrinding the ballraces in the freehub. The rim cracks are the almost inevitable consequence of a heavily dished wheel plus winter use; Corrosion proofing the rim or routinely rinsing off the salty winter clart with warm water would certainly help.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Keezx

Post by Keezx »

yostumpy wrote: 19 Apr 2024, 12:23pm Bit of an update on this, the rear 36 spoke wheel has developed some hairline cracks around a few drive side spoke eyelets. Having said this, they have covered over 40,000km! Hmm, disc brake wheel. The rear hub is also not very well, and sounds and feels rough. So I have 2 options.
1) New 36 'polished silver' sp TB14 rear rim in new Deore hub, (rims are now £60 ea!)
or
New 36 sp Exal LX17 rear rim on new Deore hub (LX @ £29 ea), plus a matching 32 sp LX17 on existing Son dynohub.

My thinking
or

I do like things to match, BUT my rims were originally anodised, but I removed this by dipping in caustic soda, so they are now 'almost but not very polished silver, and a new polished will not match either?

Now a Further question re the LX17, what are they like with tyre on/off, say Marathon Greenguard. My Chrinas were awful, but the TB14 were really good.Thanks all.
'

Considered this one?
https://www.hubjub.co.uk/kinlin-adhn--mld-101-p.asp
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

Keezx wrote: 19 Apr 2024, 6:35pm
yostumpy wrote: 19 Apr 2024, 12:23pm Bit of an update on this, the rear 36 spoke wheel has developed some hairline cracks around a few drive side spoke eyelets. Having said this, they have covered over 40,000km! Hmm, disc brake wheel. The rear hub is also not very well, and sounds and feels rough. So I have 2 options.
or

My thinking
or

'

Considered this one?
https://www.hubjub.co.uk/kinlin-adhn--mld-101-p.asp

Hmmmmm!!!!!!!