I'm not not normally worried about having the latest fad or technology but .......

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: I'm not not normally worried about having the latest fad or technology but .......

Post by Brucey »

rubbery bit

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hub-spares/shimano-nexus-cj8s40-outer-casing-holder-unit-y74y98160/

cassette joint

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hub-spares/shimano-nexus-cj8s40-cassette-joint-unit-y74y98140/

you can find the part numbers here

http://www.sjscycles.com/Instructions/Shimano/Shimano_Nexus_CJ-8S40_Tech_Doc.pdf

[edit BTW any shimano/Madison dealer ought to be able to order in the parts, but it is often best if you supply them with the part numbers, because they may not know them or be bothered to find them.]

cheers
Last edited by Brucey on 30 Nov 2016, 5:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Brucey

Re: I'm not not normally worried about having the latest fad or technology but .......

Post by Brucey »

hamster wrote: ...I doubt if every ride - probably a bit of oil to displace the water once a month should suffice. After all, the cables are nowadays lined with PTFE so don't need lubrication in the strictest sense.

The thing is that some folk take this too literally. IME cables with no lube don't last very long before they give trouble, not least because 'no lube' means 'easier water ingress'.....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Phil_Chadwick

Post by Phil_Chadwick »

hamster wrote:That's not exactly surprising is it? Something with zero components being more reliable than one with (say) 100. :roll:

Did I say it was?

Oh and :roll: right back at you.
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

Now now, play nicely. :lol:

Re cables:- I use silicone grease on the inners (full length) before inserting them seems to work and doesn't effect the liner adversely.
I've also put the rubber worms for V brakes on the end and packed them with silicone grease.
Still running original cables on a 1995 Saracen Powertrax using the above method.

HTH
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Started using aerosol PTFE based grease about 2 years ago to lube cable inners before insertion in the outer as the grease is taken up by the structure of the cable, works really well.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
John_S

Post by John_S »

Hi Brucey,

Thank you again!

The links to the parts being available from SJS is ideal but also I'll be speaking to my LBS and using the link & parts numbers that you've sent they might also be able to order them.

Thanks for all of your help.

John
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

james01 wrote:Remember that we're all equipped with a handy emergency supply of warm fluid (36deg C) which can successfully thaw out frozen parts (bike cables, car door locks etc). Best applied in deserted country areas, not city streets :oops:

Intrigued. How do you know the 36 degrees? Medical knowledge? Empirical testing? Do folk vary?
Sweep
Abradable Chin

Post by Abradable Chin »

hamster wrote:Here they are...bottom of the page:
http://www.rjcx-treme.co.uk/acatalog/co ... ORIES.html

Alas, they are completely out of stock in all colours, despite what the webpage was claiming. The search continues. I might try making some myself if I can find time over Christmas. It doesn't need a CNC machine, just a hacksaw and drill, a needle file, an O-ring, and some aluminium rod. I've got everything except the rod, already.
Abradable Chin

Post by Abradable Chin »

PH wrote:
someone wrote:Hub gears should be (but in practice really aren't) almost maintenance-free and reliable.

Until you get to Rohloff and then they really are.

The NuVinci hubs must score pretty highly on the low maintenance scale since misalignment doesn't matter, and at the very worst you would have a slightly reduced gear range. They are also sealed for life, so there no sensible fettling to do. You wouldn't want to race on one, but for a town bike or short-hop commuter bike, they are good fun.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Sweep wrote:
james01 wrote:Remember that we're all equipped with a handy emergency supply of warm fluid (36deg C) which can successfully thaw out frozen parts (bike cables, car door locks etc). Best applied in deserted country areas, not city streets :oops:

Intrigued. How do you know the 36 degrees? Medical knowledge? Empirical testing? Do folk vary?

It's pretty accurate, assuming you aren't ill. I know one person who used to have a temperature about 0.5 degrees below normal, so a 'normal' reading was actually a slight fever.

But that's not, afaik, common.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks for the reply bob.

You learn something every day on here.

And it's nice to know that in an uncertain rapidly changing world, and one where unfortunately people disappoint you all too often, there is something you can consistently rely on. :)

Now i, along with perhaps a few other beneficiaries of your expertise, just need to figure out a way of getting this factoid into a conversation.

All the best.
Sweep
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

Actually the so called "Normal" body temperature for human beings varied from 34.3-37.4 in a test group of 1000 people.

It's just the majority of the 1000 people tested were around 35.5-36.9 so the average body temperature worked out.
Originally 98.6 Deg Farenheight

This is not a hard and fast rule its just a guide for the medical profession.

Mine is 35.5 degrees so is my dad.
rofan

Post by rofan »

John_S wrote:
The links to the parts being available from SJS is ideal but also I'll be speaking to my LBS and using the link & parts numbers that you've sent they might also be able to order them.

Attention: there is a little change for CJ-8S40
needs longer distance 127

cableEndCassetteJoint20&40.jpg
Suffolker

Post by Suffolker »

Speaking of cable lubrication, this came up from somewhere on the web.

http://www.cablelubie.com/

I am considering them for my IGH cables, pending some more information on dimensions. I couldn't initially see how the oil could be injected into the clear sleeve, but later info reveals that there is a small port in it, marked by a black dot.

I have no personal interest beyond being a potential purchaser.