Dismantling a revoshifter

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
NUKe

Re: Dismantling a revoshifter

Post by NUKe »

Not a revo Shift but just to put the info in the same place the Grip shift is simple to replace the cable good video here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_kbW2x3Bc0
NUKe

Post by 531colin »

NUKe wrote:Not a revo Shift but just to put the info in the same place the Grip shift is simple to replace the cable good video here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_kbW2x3Bc0

Thats changed in the 20 years since I was doing them.
I wonder how many different sorts there are?
helijohn

Post by helijohn »

531colin wrote:
NUKe wrote:I wonder how many different sorts there are?

I went online to find the solution and found lots of twist grip types so I would guess at about 25 but the irony is that despite there being a heck of a lot of types I could not find mine!
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

Bizarre, in all the versions I've used over the past twenty-some years (not including Revo I'm afraid, but almost everything else), new cables have simply threaded in through the body with zero disassembly, and stripping them down takes all of 3seconds with one tool. Big fan.

If they're stiff enough to cause blisters something is seriously wrong, most likely sticky cables but possibly grease that's gone hard.

I wanted some posh ones for my latest mtb build - can you guess what put me off...?

Screenshot_20161206-102016.png

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly using hovercraft full of eels.
helijohn

Post by helijohn »

elPedro666 wrote:
I wanted some posh ones for my latest mtb build - can you guess what put me off...?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

My main bug bite for the "twist grip" type gear levers is they have only 1/3rd of the hand grip length that twists.

Fine-ish in the Dry but bloody awkward when Wet and nearly impossible if you have gloves on for the cold.

Never had a problem with the old "GRIFTER", full length twist grip.
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

Trouble with full length twisty bits is they're useless offroad. Possibly they're okay for cruising to the shops but as soon as you need to manoeuvre the bike you need a solid connection.

Again though, I regularly ride in filth and filthy weather with thick, waterproof gloves which make triggers near impossible (as do frozen thumbs) and gripshift is perfect - whatever state your hands are in, simply twist your wrist. I regularly lose feeling in fingers and thumbs, but have never lost a whole hand up to the wrist!

What you do need is grips that still have grip on them (years ago this used to be more troublesome, before they added ridges and whatnot) and cables in decent condition - so long as you have that I've never encountered anything that hinders shifting at all.

I can't see why wet (the default state of being [emoji38] ) would make anything awkward, unless your grips are worn slick?

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly using hovercraft full of eels.
helijohn

Post by helijohn »

nigelnightmare wrote:My main bug bite for the "twist grip" type gear levers is they have only 1/3rd of the hand grip length that twists.

That is so true and that means the grip is reduced to just finger and thumb. I don't fancy full length ones because, as has been mentioned, it is more ergonomic to be able to grab the bars.
reesy1950

Post by reesy1950 »

Whilst this is no help in fitting a new cable, i had the same problem and could see no way of replacing cable without breaking shifter, i bought a pair of new shifters off ebay from china with cables already in them for £3.50 and put them on, they work perfectly and probably cheaper than buying new cables anyway.
helijohn

Post by helijohn »

reesy1950 wrote:Whilst this is no help in fitting a new cable, i had the same problem and could see no way of replacing cable without breaking shifter, i bought a pair of new shifters off ebay from china with cables already in them for £3.50 and put them on, they work perfectly and probably cheaper than buying new cables anyway.

Yes it is - it's a reason I bought a thumb shifter to replace mine. :D
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Cheap Sunrace twist grip levers seem to be the same, no obvious way to dismantle and replace the cable. Having sold a few of these, I thought I ought to find out for the day when one comes back to have a cable replaced.
I asked the Sunrace distributor, who said they had "taken apart" a twist grip, but still could not see how to get the cable out(!), so they have asked Sunrace how its done, and will let me know what the reply is.
Watch this space.
helijohn

Post by helijohn »

PT1029 wrote:Cheap Sunrace twist grip levers seem to be the same, no obvious way to dismantle and replace the cable. Having sold a few of these, I thought I ought to find out for the day when one comes back to have a cable replaced.
I asked the Sunrace distributor, who said they had "taken apart" a twist grip, but still could not see how to get the cable out(!), so they have asked Sunrace how its done, and will let me know what the reply is.
Watch this space.

That should be very interesting thanks. :wink: