Campag and SRAM 10 speed spacing

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Slimtim

Campag and SRAM 10 speed spacing

Post by Slimtim »

Hello

Does anyone know if SRAM and Campagnolo 10 speed cassette sprockets have the same spacing and I can therefore use Campag wheels fitted to a bike with SRAM shifters and a Campag rear mech?

Or is this just too Frankenbike and I should just get some Campag shifters?

Thanks in advance.....
Brucey

Re: Campag and SRAM 10 speed spacing

Post by Brucey »

campag 10s sprockets are slightly differently spaced to SRAM 10s sprockets.

However that isn't the biggest of your issues; the shifter and rear mech need to be matched; SRAM shifters won't work with a campag rear mech.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

And why not put in a Shimano FD?
I should coco.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

SRAM and Shimano use the same spacings. Campag is different. I have used Shimano/SRAM cassettes in a Campag set up. It works but the indexing isn't silent at both ends. Campag Ergos with Shimano rear mechs can work, search Shimergo. SRAM is very different.
11 speed cassette spacings are all the same so if buying new consider that.
Slimtim

Post by Slimtim »

Thank you for your help, confirms my doubts.
gfk_velo

Post by gfk_velo »

@mattsccm - to gently correct - no, the spacings on 11s cassettes aren't the same. They are close (closer in some ways than 10s) but not spot on.

Depending on the start sprocket size (11, 12 or 13) the spacings on the top three cassette sprockets in Campagnolo cassettes vary slightly. There is also a slight change in mid cassette. Shimano / SRAM don't have this, managing the changes in chain angle that this accounts for in the lever and in the RD.

The result of this is that shifting is just "OK" but not exact and not to spec - at higher torque values it can be flaky, whether you are looking at a Shimano or SRAM cassette with Campagnolo, or a Campagnolo cassette with Shimano / SRAM. Wear and tear in the system also accentuates the differences and produces less than perfect shifting, again accentuated under load and at the extremes of operating range and on frame geometries at the extremes of the tolerance of the system.

There are also issues around warranty to consider. None of the big 3 will, quite justifiably, entertain mixed systems if any question of warranty arises. They have done all of their testing assuming that the user will be using a complete, matched system. It's simply impractical to start cross-testing.
Head Technician and Director, Velotech Cycling Ltd,
Nationwide modular mechanic's training in all bicycle types
Campagnolo's main factory-appointed UK Technical and Service Centre
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Sorry Graham(e?) I should have added "from a practical point of view, they work "and forgot Campags variable spacing. I am a tight fisted improviser who enjoys messing up engineers hard work.
By the way, the RDFCC committee meeting last night was very pleased with your visit the weekend before last. Thanks