Bar tape questions

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
landsurfer

Re: Bar tape questions

Post by landsurfer »

foxyrider wrote:
landsurfer wrote:Black insulating tape .... no brainer .....

Why black? I have it to match the tape, one bike rocks red and yellow, another blue and the white taped machines have white,

Not the prettiest but cheap and easy and very effective.

Black is the new Black .... matches anything, unless combined with red and silver .......
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
RJS

Post by RJS »

Another option is wiping, with say cord or leather, (good to finish of leather bar tape?) there is a video on YouTube if you don't know how to do it.
Cheers, Rob.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Is insulation tape the best? I've often noticed it creeping and weeping glue in the past and would think that if used intensively in hot conditions, it's likely to cry bad sticky stuff.

I've used self amalgamating tape with varying success. It does get a little tacky and can break somewhat randomly (sometimes staying good for a long time). But it goes on really nicely and moulds to the shape of the bar tape - essential when using thick gel pads under the bar tape.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
landsurfer wrote:Black insulating tape .... no brainer .....

If its black, surely cloth not slippery PVC?
How far retro do you want to go back..................to school days and woolly mitts slipping of the bars :mrgreen:

OK PVC is thin so won't build thickness that's why I suggested loom tape, black goes with any colour :)
I found cloth tape (the proper stuff) does not peel off so this loom tape I have used on covering shiny bar ends is great.

Edited for grammar :oops: Gets worse with age and early hours
Attachments
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TESA-TAPE-51608-ADHESIVE-CLOTH-FABRIC-WIRING-LOOM-HARNESS-15m-25m-19mm-15mm-9mm-/252275241094?var=&hash=item3abcc6b086:m:mXro8yDUoPdKvEWGIF_pfMQ
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TESA-TAPE-51608-ADHESIVE-CLOTH-FABRIC-WIRING-LOOM-HARNESS-15m-25m-19mm-15mm-9mm-/252275241094?var=&hash=item3abcc6b086:m:mXro8yDUoPdKvEWGIF_pfMQ
Last edited by NATURAL ANKLING on 13 Jan 2017, 11:23am, edited 2 times in total.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
freiston

Post by freiston »

I did my bars the other day and discovered too late that I didn't have any black insulation tape in (only green & yellow striped 'earth' insulation tape). I used some black duck tape instead and it looks a mess :oops:

I have some heat-shrink tubing but, on a practice run, could not get it safely hot enough with a hair dryer or lighter. The tubing looks rather large but is rated to shrink down enough at 140°C. The tape is 3.5mm thick and I made a bit of a mess of it starting off - I can't tuck it into the handlebar because I have bar-end shifters.

Digressing somewhat, the bars are Modolo Gran Fondo and they angle back with a dog-leg bend from the clamp to the tops; I ran a little short of tape to finish nicely and I'm going to have to give it another go some time. I will leave it for a bit though because I still can't make my mind up about the bars. I replaced a compact bar that had next to no reach - I wanted the tops nice and close and another hand position between the tops and the hoods. The bars are excellent in this respect but the drop is too big, the hook is too angular and the bar ends are not as parallel or as long as I like (I realised this after fitting them). I'm seriously tempted by the Velo Orange Grand Cru Course handlebar.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

One trick I've tried in the past, with mixed results, is to cut a short length of old inner tube which is slipped on to the bar before taping,and then rolling half of this back over the tape end. This only works, however, if you can find the right tube diameter - too loose and it slips off, too tight and you can never get it over the tape. But if you get it right it looks and feels good.
Last edited by ChrisButch on 13 Jan 2017, 8:34pm, edited 1 time in total.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

ChrisButch wrote:One trick I've tried in the past, with mixed results, is to cut a short length of old inner tube which is slipped on to the bar before taping,and then rolling half of this back over the tape end. This only works, however, if you can find the right tube diameter - too loose and it slips off, to tight and you can never get it over the tape. But if you get it right it looks and feels good.

I used some old inner tube to make water seals for the stem and seat pin, but they only lasted a few weeks before they perished and fell off.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I agree many inner tubes will perish rapidly in the weather. However, some may not; near to me there is a popular cycling route and (much to my annoyance) a lot of roadies will sling their inner tubes in the hedge.

I often pick these up and put them in the bin (astonishing can't they do that....? Grrrr... :evil: ) but often I find tubes that have been sat there for a year or more. Some are badly perished, but some are not.

If I ever work out which tubes are consistently weather resistant, I shall let everyone know.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Wrap with electrical tape, then go over with twine. Use a varnish afterwards to scrap the twine to the bar tape.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

ChrisButch wrote:One trick I've tried in the past, with mixed results, is to cut a short length of old inner tube which is slipped on to the bar before taping,and then rolling half of this back over the tape end. This only works, however, if you can find the right tube diameter - too loose and it slips off, too tight and you can never get it over the tape. But if you get it right it looks and feels good.
for years I would use old inner viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30756&p=241345 Difference is that I would cut a flat strip of inner tube and superglue it to itself under the bars. It always looked good because I could get the tension right so the inner would mould to the bar tape and gel padding. Very neat.

But then I started using self amalgamating tape.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

nirakaro wrote:What's the best thing to finish off bar tape with? I like quite a thick wodge of tape on the tops, so the wee bit of sticky tape they supply isn't long enough. I've usually used insulating tape, which does the job, but I wonder if there's anything better?
I've seen someone recommend using hockey-stick tape for handlebars, but not playing hockey, I don't know what it's like. Anyone enlighten me? What are the pros n cons?

Best thing you can do, is to always wrap the tape so that it ends against the rider, not away from him. This way, you tend to tighten the tape (and the finishing) while gripping the bars.
To finish, I had some narrow (7-8mm?) insulating tape from RS Components and it works very well, quite neat.

It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...