Shop advise i need a new front shifter

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
jackvdbuk

Shop advise i need a new front shifter

Post by jackvdbuk »

Hi guys,

I have had issues with gears of late at after trying to "fix it" was left in one gear only for a 10k each way trip to work! :D

after taking it to a repair shop today they have advised they have sorted the rear derailleur but the front isnt repairable and i need a new front shifter..

my bike is a Specialized Tarmac 2009 http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-specialized-tarmac-elite-10-37907/ and uses the 105 groupset.

what do i actually need here? i think it will be worth replacing the front derailleur and front shifter - is that OK to do?

i have the 105 series but it appears all the 105's online have a number preceding such as "105 6800", can i buy this and just fit the new version such as the 105 6800 shifter with the new derailleur?

what do you recommend :)

thanks!
531colin

Re: Shop advise i need a new front shifter

Post by 531colin »

I think we are going to need to know the chainring sizes (number of teeth).....because tooth difference is part of the spec. of the front mech.
Its a bit of a minefield, with mechs (and maybe different shifters?) for double and triple chainsets.....I think you should be alright mixing a 6800 mech with a different number shifter.......but thats not a problem if you buy mech. and shifter.....shifter is the expensive bit?
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Note that current 105 is 11 speed, but the old 10 speed 105 components are still widely available.

Look for the part no. on the back of the inner cage plate and just buy the same. If it is FD-5700 - lots out there. Also note how it's fixed to your frame - you get front derailleurs with different diameter clamps and also front derailleurs that fix to a bracket on the seat tube.
Last edited by Valbrona on 19 Jan 2017, 4:08am, edited 1 time in total.
I should coco.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Aparently Tiagra 10 speed is virtually identical to the old 105 10 speed so you maybe ok with that.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

jackvdbuk wrote:Hi guys,

I have had issues with gears of late at after trying to "fix it" was left in one gear only for a 10k each way trip to work! :D

after taking it to a repair shop today they have advised they have sorted the rear derailleur but the front isnt repairable and i need a new front shifter..

my bike is a Specialized Tarmac 2009 http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-specialized-tarmac-elite-10-37907/ and uses the 105 groupset.

what do i actually need here? i think it will be worth replacing the front derailleur and front shifter - is that OK to do?

i have the 105 series but it appears all the 105's online have a number preceding such as "105 6800", can i buy this and just fit the new version such as the 105 6800 shifter with the new derailleur?

what do you recommend :)

thanks!

Well, what happens exactly?
The Shimano 11sp shifters do need accurate cable routing, or the chances of snapped wires and incorrect shifting are high
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

If your bike is as exactly the same as the link then note that the cable exits the shifter from the side.
Newer 105s have the cables hidden under the bar tape.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
jackvdbuk

Post by jackvdbuk »

cycleruk wrote:If your bike is as exactly the same as the link then note that the cable exits the shifter from the side.
Newer 105s have the cables hidden under the bar tape.

You are correct, on my one it comes from the side, so didn't need to undo bar type luckily!

i see a shimano 53-8 on the big outer front cog, does that narrow it down ? - its a dual also and a braze on variety.

I read on the mech itself 105 5600! found it.. hurah.. honestly thanks alot for the help so far! lost without you guys :)

To confirm : I can get any shimano shiftier that is compatible with braze on , dual type front derailleurs?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Of course the repair shop should be advising which mech is compatible - and if it needs replacing at all...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I thought the shifter, ie STi, was the issue not the FD? Or did I miss something? A new 8sp front STI will be further down the range, Claris maybe but should be a quite cheap fix.

However despite the OP's optimism regarding removal of bar tape to do the job - think again and anyhow after 9 years it deserves some new stuff!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

5600 STI are available on Ebay but any "dual" 10 speed system will work with your bike.
Newer 105 (5700) have the cables under the bar tape as mentioned.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-105-570 ... lever-set/
You'll never know if you don't try it.