50mm layback seatpost Humpert Ergotec Futura

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Dougall

50mm layback seatpost Humpert Ergotec Futura

Post by Dougall »

I have noticed that a lot of people have trouble sourcing a large enough layback seatpost. I myself have to use VO Grand Cru on two bikes to ensure a reasonable position.

During my search for suitable seatposts I came across the Humpert Ergotec Futura seatpost which allows 50mm layback. I haven't tried one myself although I'm considering it.

It is currently available at bikediscount.de for 56.37 euro inc postage so not cheap but seems to offer more layback than all other seatposts.

Link for seatpost is http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/humpert-ergotec-futura-seatpost-27.2mm-222225
fossala

Re: 50mm layback seatpost Humpert Ergotec Futura

Post by fossala »

If you need 5cm are you sure you have the right size bike?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the clamp design is similar to that used on some adjustable stems, in which I have always worried that it might not be strong enough. Since the saddle exerts even more force on the clamp than handlebars might, I am even more concerned about this seat post design.

It does have plenty of layback though; I'd be interested to hear how people get on with it.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dougall

Post by Dougall »

I don't need 5cm, more like 3cm, hence using the VO orange on my bikes.
However, other people seem to often be looking for a lot of layback, particularly for Brooks saddles, so I thought I'd draw attention to this seatpost. If I ever give Brooks saddles another go then I'd likely need something like this.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Before reading Brucey's post and clicking on the link,I must admit I had my reservations.It just doesn't look 'man' enough for the job IMHO
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

fossala wrote:If you need 5cm are you sure you have the right size bike?

It's not necessarily a matter of frame size. It could be that the seat tube is too steep. If you get your frames built to measure for you then this shouldn't be a problem, but if you're building a bike up on an off-the-peg frame this can happen. If your upper leg (i.e. knee to bum) is longer than normal in proportion to your lower leg (i.e. knee to ball of foot) then the length of your upper leg will push your sitbones back irrespective of frame size.

I've experienced this, and not been able to get my saddle far enough back on a pre-owned frame. It was Johnny Mapplebeck - famous builder of the famous Pennine frames - who pointed this out to me. Even now, on made to measure frames, I need a seat-pin with the maximum lay-back to avoid a shallow seat tube angle.

If I didn't use Brooks saddles this wouldn't be an issue.
breakwellmz

Post by breakwellmz »

Isn`t it being sold primarily as a suspension seatpost not as one with 50mm of lay-back which is just a result of the`suspension`mechanism being incorporated in the the design?
It`s a long way down that"backward and forward"is stated as +10 to -50mm.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

breakwellmz wrote:Isn`t it being sold primarily as a suspension seatpost not as one with 50mm of lay-back which is just a result of the`suspension`mechanism being incorporated in the the design?
It`s a long way down that"backward and forward"is stated as +10 to -50mm.
Is it? I don't see the spring/elastomer for that function, nor could I see mention of suspension. I don't know though - I can't tell how the set position is actually fixed either :?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

my worry is that it will move, but only once; is that a kind of 'suspension'? :shock:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Brucey wrote:my worry is that it will move, but only once; is that a kind of 'suspension'? :shock:

cheers

Or uninvited intervention ^ :shock: :shock: :shock:
W H Auden
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

how does it handle tilt? I guess the nicer one is the nitto post but that is a lot of money
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

The nitto seatpost still isn't long enough for me. Following my recent bike fit I'm looking at approximately 7cm of layback to get a Brooks saddle in the right position. And yes, now that I've had the bike fit I do think that my frame is too small, but with a virtual top tube of 578mm and a height of 5ft 11 inches you wouldn't think do. So I'm now looking for frames with a 71 degree seat tube angle and I'll still need a layback seat post. Fortunately I have an Easton EC 70 with the large layback. FWIW the bike fit I had got me to a distance of 755mm from the centre of the BB to the centre of the top of the saddle. and 25cm from the vertical through the BB to the centre of the top of the saddle. That setup has a Fizik arione saddle set as far back as it will go on the EC 70 seatpost. And for more FWIW the bike fit position is much more comfortable that my previous riding position.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

freeflow wrote:The nitto seatpost still isn't long enough for me. Following my recent bike fit I'm looking at approximately 7cm of layback to get a Brooks saddle in the right position. And yes, now that I've had the bike fit I do think that my frame is too small, but with a virtual top tube of 578mm and a height of 5ft 11 inches you wouldn't think do. So I'm now looking for frames with a 71 degree seat tube angle and I'll still need a layback seat post. Fortunately I have an Easton EC 70 with the large layback. FWIW the bike fit I had got me to a distance of 755mm from the centre of the BB to the centre of the top of the saddle. and 25cm from the vertical through the BB to the centre of the top of the saddle. That setup has a Fizik arione saddle set as far back as it will go on the EC 70 seatpost. And for more FWIW the bike fit position is much more comfortable that my previous riding position.

How much is the nose of the saddle behind the BB measured vertically with the bike on level ground?

FWIW I saw a tandem yesterday with a steel seatpin with steel Ahead stem(approx 10cm) fitted to the top,with an old type bolt through saddle clamp fitted to that,believe it or not it looked very neat.
There's no reason something can't be manufactured similarly.
Also there's an SR/Kalloy adjustable s/post from a few years back,which gives huge layback,they come up on Ebay occasionally:- http://www.yellowjersey.org/MTE100.JPG
Last edited by reohn2 on 22 Aug 2014, 12:14pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

How much is the nose of the saddle behind the BB measured vertically with the bike on level ground?

According to my fit diagram 10cm. The fizik arione is 30cm long.

And I posted a photo of me on my bike in another thread (scroll to the end)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=89656
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

freeflow wrote:

According to my fit diagram 10cm. The fizik arione is 30cm long.

And I posted a photo of me on my bike in another thread (scroll to the end)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=89656

I ride with my Turbomatic 2's 9cm behind the BB,on a 72.5deg seatube,and am confident I could achieve almos another 10mm,I've tried a FiZiK saddle and had that in the same position though it wasn't an Arione.

Here's a link to something similar to what I was trying to describe about the tandem seatpost yesterday:- http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... atpost.JPG
W H Auden