Is mountain biking cycle tourism

GPC

Is mountain biking cycle tourism

Post by GPC »

Was at a professional conference this week and found myself arguing that mountain biking is not cycle tourism. In the end I asked for a definition. This was in the context of the 7 Stanes facilities in Scotland.

The workshop was about a number of bike related things and this one was tourism....

Thoughts
honesty

Re: Is mountain biking cycle tourism

Post by honesty »

How can it not be? people go somewhere else (they are tourists) to use bikes predominantly. Surely going somewhere different to then mountain bike is pretty much the very definition of cycle tourism?
GPC

Post by GPC »

My experience is that it's car travel, with most journeys being relatively locally and then using a bike, no more tourism than say going to the the velodrome for a track day.
honesty

Post by honesty »

I guess then it depends on how far you're going and for how long. Going to a local venue for a day is probably not tourism, going somewhere further away expressly for mountain biking for a few days probably is.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

It would depend on whether that's tourism about cycling, or tourism on cycles. You get to choose where the lines are as to whether each or both are "cycle tourism" in what boils down to a semantic issue. As to the importance of the semantics, I'd say the main point is you end up being sure what you're talking about, which is typically quite handy.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
whoof

Post by whoof »

What is your definition of tourism, going somewhere for the purposes of leisure? If going to Blackpool for the day to see the lights is tourism then going to a mountain bike centre to ride a mountain bike is cycle tourism. If tourism is a journey for leisure purposes and it has to include an overnight stay then it's only cycle tourism if you go somewhere to ride a bike regardless on if it's a mountain bike or a unicycle and stay overnight.
PH

Post by PH »

I really hope there was more interesting stuff going on at your conference than the definition of tourism.
I can't think why it would matter.
meic

Post by meic »

I think that the definition of tourism that are working to is about spending money.

A local who mountain bikes and spends in a pub, a cafe and a local bike shop is a better tourist than me wild camping and buying some bread and cheese in a Tescos.
Yma o Hyd
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Depends what you mean by mountain biking ad what you are doing with your bike..

If it's a competition then no, its sport, just like road racing.

If you're riding around for the fun of it/exploring/enjoying the scenery then you are touring, just as much as if you were out on a day ride or a camping trip on a road bike.

If you are going to work and back cross-country on a mountain bike, then you are commuting!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
meic

Post by meic »

You may make that distinction but I dont think that any regional Tourist Board would.

Our local tourist boards certainly promote sporting events (well ones to do with cycling).
Yma o Hyd
GPC

Post by GPC »

whoof wrote:What is your definition of tourism, going somewhere for the purposes of leisure? If going to Blackpool for the day to see the lights is tourism then going to a mountain bike centre to ride a mountain bike is cycle tourism. If tourism is a journey for leisure purposes and it has to include an overnight stay then it's only cycle tourism if you go somewhere to ride a bike regardless on if it's a mountain bike or a unicycle and stay overnight.

So is taking your bike to your local velodrome tourism?
GPC

Post by GPC »

honesty wrote:I guess then it depends on how far you're going and for how long. Going to a local venue for a day is probably not tourism, going somewhere further away expressly for mountain biking for a few days probably is.

That sounds a more helpful definition to me, from the workshop I was in almost anything involving a bike could be tourism other than going to work.
GPC

Post by GPC »

PH wrote:I really hope there was more interesting stuff going on at your conference than the definition of tourism.
I can't think why it would matter.

I'm puzzled at why you bother to reply, no matter
GPC

Post by GPC »

rmurphy195 wrote:Depends what you mean by mountain biking ad what you are doing with your bike..

If you're riding around for the fun of it/exploring/enjoying the scenery then you are touring, just as much as if you were out on a day ride or a camping trip on a road bike.

If you are going to work and back cross-country on a mountain bike, then you are commuting!

OK, you drive out 10 miles with your bikes in the car to Glentress, spend the day MTB and drive home. Is that tourism, no formal competition involved.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

GPC wrote:OK, you drive out 10 miles with your bikes in the car to Glentress, spend the day MTB and drive home. Is that tourism, no formal competition involved.

Is it not tourism?
Tourism is touring about,whether you arrive back at the same place ie;car,home,caravan,motorhome,tent,etc,in a day or cycle around the world is irrelevant.
I'm hoping to be out on my MTB tomorrow,I'll drop Mrs R2 off at the station where she'll join her sisters for a day out,and I'll drive somewhere then go for a ride.
Later,I'm hoping to get back to the car put the bike on the rack,drive to the station and pick her up then drive home,if that's not touring about for the day on an MTB then what is it?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden