Anything to avoid filtered permiability, it seems!

jollytiddlywink

Anything to avoid filtered permiability, it seems!

Post by jollytiddlywink »

Here is an interesting one I spotted this evening.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ca ... e-38063742
There is a 'ghost roundabout' which has been installed on a road in Cambridge, apparently as a traffic calming measure because it makes drivers 'uncertain' and thus inclined to slow down. This is apparently in response to residents who complained the road was a rat run. I would have thought the evident solution to a rat-running problem would be to close the street to motor traffic at one end. Instead they've put in something which looks, to me at least, like an invitation for drivers to drive onto the pavement.
Bonefishblues

Re: Anything to avoid filtered permiability, it seems!

Post by Bonefishblues »

It was installed after discussion with the residents - perhaps they wanted to use both ends of their street. Looks an interesting idea, I'll be interested to see how effective it is.
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

Just out of curiosity (as setts of any kind are pretty much unknown in my neck of the woods), what's it like to cycle across those bricks at speed if it's icy?
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

Looks like it took some inspiration from "road witching":
http://www.roadwitch.org.uk/
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Mistik-ka wrote:Just out of curiosity (as setts of any kind are pretty much unknown in my neck of the woods), what's it like to cycle across those bricks at speed if it's icy?

If they're anything like we have in the middle of our local town, Taunton, they will be unpleasant, at best, and bloody dangerous, when wet or icy!
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

It looks reasonably attractive, at least while it's new, but I'd imagine the humps visible in the video have more effect reducing drivers' speeds. None of the drivers in the video were altering their speed as they approached or drove over it. I wonder if there will be any monitoring of speeds and volumes of traffic before and after?
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Mistik-ka wrote:Just out of curiosity (as setts of any kind are pretty much unknown in my neck of the woods), what's it like to cycle across those bricks at speed if it's icy?

It looks like housebricks (or some type of brick) and flush with the road surface, in which case I'd say it's probably going to be not too bad. If it's not flush -- or becomes uneven with wear, which is quite likely -- then it could be nasty. There are several side streets near me which have uneven cobble-type stones in rows standing proud of the surrounding tarmac with smooth bricks similar to those between them, at every junction with a main road. The bricks are fine but the jagged, protruding stones do require care, even in the dry. This is a problem with all sorts of features trying to use a change in road surface (as opposed to level, eg speed humps) to reduce driver speed; they have more effect on bikes (pedal and motor) and very little on cars.

Pete Owens wrote:Looks like it took some inspiration from "road witching":
http://www.roadwitch.org.uk/

That looks fun!
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

I despair at the BBC sometimes. Since when has "met with ridicule on social media" been newsworthy? You could rewrite that headline as "Random bloke sees picture on Internet, decides he doesn't like it. Film at 11".
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I think they are Marshalls cobbles and have a rough textured surface which should give good grip.
mjr

Post by mjr »

If it's anything like this set in Norwich, then they're flaming awful and I've ridden over smoother cobbles. It's a particularly unpleasant surprise in Norwich as it's a desirable shortcut between the smooth Lakenham Way and the (average-surface) outer ring Pedalway (Purple, I think).

Phil Fouracre wrote:If they're anything like we have in the middle of our local town, Taunton, they will be unpleasant, at best, and bloody dangerous, when wet or icy!

The section by the Lidl junction got removed after causing a pile-up at the end of a Tour of Britain stage a few years ago.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mjr wrote:

If it's anything like this set in Norwich, then they're flaming awful and I've ridden over smoother cobbles. It's a particularly unpleasant surprise in Norwich as it's a desirable shortcut between the smooth Lakenham Way and the (average-surface) outer ring Pedalway (Purple, I think).

Phil Fouracre wrote:If they're anything like we have in the middle of our local town, Taunton, they will be unpleasant, at best, and bloody dangerous, when wet or icy!

The section by the Lidl junction got removed after causing a pile-up at the end of a Tour of Britain stage a few years ago.

They aren't, and to add injury to insult the Norwich ones seem to be set proud as opposed to flush.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cambridge Cycling Campaign have now basically accused the county council spokesman of lying: https://www.camcycle.org.uk/blog/2016/1 ... il-to-bbc/
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mjr wrote:Cambridge Cycling Campaign have now basically accused the county council spokesman of lying: https://www.camcycle.org.uk/blog/2016/1 ... il-to-bbc/

They're not happy, are they?