Don't bother in South Yorkshire

karlt

Don't bother in South Yorkshire

Post by karlt »

http://www.cyclesheffield.org.uk/2016/1 ... ent-238798

They basically don't give a [inappropriate word removed] about the terrible driving around here. They're not going to do anything about it, so go away.

I intend to ask them whether they're willing to act on video evidence, because given they're not going to enforce the law, I'm seriously considering getting a camera. It's dangerous passes more rides than not now.
thirdcrank

Re: Don't bother in South Yorkshire

Post by thirdcrank »

If you don't like it do bother and write to the local sheriff AKA Police and Crime Commissioner Dr Alan Billings and tell him what you think of his choice of policing priorities.

http://www.southyorkshire-pcc.gov.uk/Home.aspx
karlt

Post by karlt »

Well, I've emailed their contact email. If I don't get anywhere there I shall try the PCC. Though I suspect I won't get very far there either.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

My point is that that PCC's are political creatures and most are party politicians. They attract pathetic voter turnout, even by the abysmal standards of English local government. They set policing priorities and I suspect they respond to the loudest shouts. Obviously as PCC for South Yorkshire, his ears are ringing.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The police in South Yorkshire and everywhere else have next to no interest in enforcement. The best we can do is to press the button on the lights at every opportunity, even when we do not need to cross the road. Slow down the motorised terrorists! :idea:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

There are many things that I hammer on about and then tend to take for granted when I post so I'll spell this out.

Here's the gist of the police response in the link - ie comment from a police officer, passed on, on behalf of the PCC, by somebody acting on behalf of the PCC. If you see what I mean. I doubt if this has got anywhere near the PCC.

Clearly one death per year is one too many, however, deaths involving cyclists in South Yorkshire are no where near the levels that they are in the West Midlands or other parts of the country. 

Weasel words, and an argument based on casualty counting: comparatively few casualties so we can be complacent (without actually using the word.) The point I would make is that low casualty rates can be achieved by frightening cyclists off the road. This is a point a politician might grasp. The worse the policing, the fewer the cyclists on the road is a real possibility.
==============================================
PS

I should also make clear that the issue to challenge the PCC about is the low priority being given to traffic policing in his area. I don't think there's any mileage in expecting him to look personally into relatively minor deployment issues.

West Midlands Police had a road safety project / policing by media release, depending on POV. Some people have been impressed by it, before AFAIK, any results have been published. It would be nice to think that some poor driving has been deterred by drivers being impressed. Cyclists might be advised to take a longer view. The chief inspector who penned the reply to the local cycling group's request for similar action must know that this is policing by media release but he can hardly say that, so it's back to casualty figures. Only the PCC has the means to increase cyclists' perception of safety by significantly prioritising traffic policing.