Cycling the A49 from Warrington to Whitchurch

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
m1ll3r

Cycling the A49 from Warrington to Whitchurch

Post by m1ll3r »

Evening guys, I'm new to cycling and just done 3 rides at the moment. 10 miles, 20 miles and 30 miles. In March next year I plan a long ride to west wales (cardigan) where we go on holiday. It's about 170 miles so I plan doing 100 miles 1st day then b&b then the 70 miles the following day. I live in Leigh (wn7 area) I've been trying to work out the best route, ideally I want to go the A49 as this is a little familiar with me. I plan going a49 alway down to Whitchurch, then on to Ellesmere then through Oswestry then on to Newtown where I will stop overnight. Have any of you been on the A49? What is it like to ride from a cycling point of view? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Paulatic

Re: Cycling the A49 from Warrington to Whitchurch

Post by Paulatic »

m1ll3r wrote:Evening guys, I'm new to cycling and just done 3 rides at the moment. 10 miles, 20 miles and 30 miles. In March next year I plan a long ride to west wales (cardigan) where we go on holiday. It's about 170 miles so I plan doing 100 miles 1st day then b&b then the 70 miles the following day. I live in Leigh (wn7 area) I've been trying to work out the best route, ideally I want to go the A49 as this is a little familiar with me. I plan going a49 alway down to Whitchurch, then on to Ellesmere then through Oswestry then on to Newtown where I will stop overnight. Have any of you been on the A49? What is it like to ride from a cycling point of view? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You will find loads of references to your proposed route in LEJOG forum
viewforum.php?f=22
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
m1ll3r

Post by m1ll3r »

Thank you I'll check the thread out
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'm originally from Wigan and know the geography of the NW area very well.

A49 south out of Wigan is fine as far as I'm concerned. Last cycled on there in 2010.

A49 down past Haydock and under the East Lancs Road J23 M6 is a bit busy, but fine.
Carry on down through Winwick and under the M62 and round the town centre of Warrington and the M56.
Keep going south to Tarporley and go through the town and to Whitchurch. Again, go through the town.

I wouldn't think twice about that route. If, and when, I go that way again, that's the way I would go.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote: .....Last cycled on there in 2010.
Wrong.
2014. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Smudgerii

Post by Smudgerii »

New cyclist myself, but familiar with A49. Winwick to Warrington (Bridgefoot) is the only problem area, busy traffic all day and most are clueless retards...
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

The A49 is fine south of Warrington, but the approach from the north (Winwick) is worth avoiding. I head to Warrington via Culcherth and cross the river at the bridge to the east of the town centre.
RickH

Post by RickH »

From Leigh you might be better (& it might even be shorter) to head for the toll bridge over the ship canal at Warburton (free for bikes, some tiny pittance for cars - I think around 20p) and then pick up the A49 on the south side of Warrington (or even a bit further if you feel so inclined - maybe Acton Bridge as you could follow the NCN70/ Cheshire Cycleway route from High Legh to there).

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I live in Lowton so 2 miles from you,TBH if you want to enjoy cycling keep off the A roads,the A49 like any other A is no pleasure,it's fast and the traffic is continuous.
To get to Ellesmere,my route would be,Glazbury,Warburton toll bridge,High Legh,Gt Budworth,Comberbach,Little Legh,join the A49 for less than 1/2 a mile to get you over the Weaver at Acton swing bridge,Onston,Norley,Hatchmere,Kelsall,Oscroft,south of Tarvin,Waverton,Saighton,Bruera,Churton,Holt/Farndon,Ridleywood,Bowling Bank,Bangor on Dee,Overton,from Overton the direct rout to Ellesmere is the A528.
Check the route on google maps,these are mostly small enjoyable roads and lanes that are worth getting to know to enjoy your cycling.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

If I was setting off for a nice pootle through the Cheshire countryside then I definitely follow that sort of route. Just pick up an OS map and follow the yellow roads. However, the OP is trying to get from A-B, where B is 100 miles away, and probably doesn't want to stop at every junction to check the map. A roads are not all the same and not everyone is put off just by the existence off traffic. The A49 south of Warrington is mostly wide single carriageway, so drivers can overtake safely in the face of oncoming traffic. The junctions are of a modest scale. There are no motorway style filter lanes or monster roundabouts such as you would encounter on the A483 - the route you would choose in a car.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Pete Owens wrote:If I was setting off for a nice pootle through the Cheshire countryside then I definitely follow that sort of route. Just pick up an OS map and follow the yellow roads. However, the OP is trying to get from A-B, where B is 100 miles away, and probably doesn't want to stop at every junction to check the map.

I'll admit my solution to that would be "load the route onto a Garmin or smartphone", rather than "follow the A49 - you might get killed but at least you won't get lost". But my tolerance for busy A roads is clearly less than yours (I don't know the A49 near Warrington, but I do know the single-carriageway A49 through Shropshire and you would have to pay me a lot to get me to cycle there). It depends what school of thought the OP is.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I can't think of any time I'd prefer the A49 to the route I propose and it's as quick,whilst the A49 is wide and mostly a safe route,pleasant for cycling it ain't.
The OP has a good few months to 'learn' the very pleasant lanes that criss cross Cheshire,to my mind finding these back roads that can be a delight to ride is part of the pleasure of cycling to me YVMV.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

This highlights the difference between leisure and utility cycling. I live in South Warrington, so I often explore the country lanes at a weekend - and would not choose the A49 for a leisure ride. But, in those circumstances, I am not trying to get anywhere fast, and it does involve frequently missing turns and getting lost - which is not a problem if the ride is itself the object of the excercise. However, if I am getting tired at the end of the day, or it looks like rain I will be perfectly happy to turn onto the A49 and put my head down to head for home (the destination has become the objective rather than the ride).

During the week I commute to work. I have a choice of routes - along a canal tow path, along an unclassified road or the A56. Almost always it is the A56 - I just want to get to work with as little fuss as possible. Though on a nice summer evening I might take the long way home.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

Richard Fairhurst wrote: It depends what school of thought the OP is.

Well presumably if the OP was of the school of thought that avoided any A roads at all costs then they wouldn't have asked the question in the first place.
m1ll3r

Post by m1ll3r »

Firstly i would like to thank you all for taking the time to reply to me, it's appreciated. In this journey my simple goal is to get from A to B, so the ride does not have to be enjoyable in the terms of pleasant countryside and views so to speak. I'll get plenty of that when i get to my destination (Aberporth, cardigan) however i do want to be safe. My main concern is getting lost and i don't want to be cycling in the dark. It's gonna be the start of April when i start the journey so gonna set out early morning maybe 7ish and guessing the ride will take me between 8 to 10 hours as it's 100 miles to newtown. Ive done the route a few times on a car and its been A49, then a495, then the A483 all the way to Newtown. At this point i will probably try to take advantage of the little country roads as normally i would do the a44 to the coastal road a487 but i want to avoid that ideally. If i bought a really good sat nav will it take me on all the roads you suggested.