Zig zag road boxhill

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
hondated

Re: Zig zag road boxhill

Post by hondated »

iviehoff wrote:
Grandad wrote:Other side of the A24 up to Ranmore Common is probably the nearest alternative.

Headley Lane on the same side of the A24, coming out practically adjacent to the start of the zig zag climb, in essence going up the back of Box HIll, is a really lovely ride. On the other hand, Pebble Hill Road, which goes straight down the Box Hill scarp from the east end of Box Hill Road, is seriously steep, not much view, and traffic can contribute to making this an unpleasant ride.

Know it well.in 70s drove a Tipper up and down there six times daily.Narrow in places so never fancied cycling it.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

iviehoff wrote:
Grandad wrote:Other side of the A24 up to Ranmore Common is probably the nearest alternative.

Headley Lane on the same side of the A24, coming out practically adjacent to the start of the zig zag climb, in essence going up the back of Box HIll, is a really lovely ride. On the other hand, Pebble Hill Road, which goes straight down the Box Hill scarp from the east end of Box Hill Road, is seriously steep, not much view, and traffic can contribute to making this an unpleasant ride.

Pebblecombe Hill is now not so steep as it was in the 50's because the top has been shaved off lessening the gradient considerably. It was a hill that got steeper and steeper as you climbed to the top. And at the very top on the steepest part you had to give way at the road junction. :shock: I remember pushing my bike up there one day when a Reliant? 3 wheeler with 3 people in it approaching from behind came to halt. 2 of those people then had to get out of the car and walk so the car could reach the top. :lol: :lol: Unfortunately what was a quiet road now has too much traffic. :evil: :evil:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Pebblecombe Hill is now not so steep as it was in the 50's because the top has been shaved off lessening the gradient considerably.

That explains why it seemed easier than I remembered when I rode recently it for the first time since the early 50s!

Nice to see the original name Pebble Combe being used - there was never any need to add "hill" when referring to it :)
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

blackbike wrote:I visit Surrey frequently from my home in Cheshire.

I'm always surprised at how few cyclists I see out and about in rural/semi-rural Surrey despite the high local population, the natural beauty of the landscape and the large number of traffic free country lanes.
South East Surrey has some nice lanes and it's fairly flat on the Low Weald. Cross the border to West Kent for more good cycling lanes with a few more ups and downs in the High Weald, or the Sandstone ridge if you want something more challenging eg Ide Hill etc.

However judging by the opposition to cyclists Surrey CC receives from anti cycling residents I don't thing there can be that few.
They've even had to put this into their Cycling Strategy
8. We will manage the impacts of increased levels of cycling and cycling events on Surrey's highway network, countryside and communities through putting in place robust and transparent event approval and management processes, lobbying for an update to current regulations governing cycle events on the highway and working closely with the sport governing body to disseminate codes of conduct to event organisers and cyclists.

At least they have a cycling strategy unlike West/East Sussex or Kent, but what they will achieve remains to be seen. At least they didn't agree with the driving instructor who wanted to ban cyclists from Surrey roads. :)
I don't peddle bikes.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

I'm always surprised at how few cyclists I see out and about in rural/semi-rural Surrey despite the high local population, the natural beauty of the landscape and the large number of traffic free country lanes.

I also know both Surrey and Cheshire well, having family connections to both. It is evident to me that cycling is a much more popular leisure activity around the northern English conurbations than around the southern English ones, despite the hills and the weather.

I now have family connections to the Czech republic, or Czechia as they are now trying to persuade us to call it. Cycling is far, far more popular as hobby there. Cyclists are not a weird minority there, it is just something normal to get on a bike and ride around for fun. And there is far better provision for it too.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Grandad wrote:
Pebblecombe Hill is now not so steep as it was in the 50's because the top has been shaved off lessening the gradient considerably.

That explains why it seemed easier than I remembered when I rode recently it for the first time since the early 50s!

Nice to see the original name Pebble Combe being used - there was never any need to add "hill" when referring to it :)
You're right. Actually I think it is/was Pebble Coombe with 2 'O's
I don't peddle bikes.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

You're right. Actually I think it is/was Pebble Coombe with 2 'O's

Yes, I remember now. Between us we've cracked it :D
PRL

Post by PRL »

Get south of ,say, Guildford and yes there is excellent cycling. The pity is that the north of the county is overrun with cars which acts as a barrier to those of us in London.