A positive thread

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
rmurphy195

Re: A positive thread

Post by rmurphy195 »

Not (entirely) bike-related - ordered a new (second-hand) caravan, picking it up in a couple of days. Can't wait to get away for a few days every now and again without having to book/take what we can get at short notice. We used to caravan when the children were younger so we know more-or-less what to expect - although modern vans have a little more going for them than a so-so space heater and running cold water like wot we used to have!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Heltor Chasca wrote:

For a bloke with no eyes (or are they sunglasses?) and an upside-down smile I'll need some convincing you were having fun

Nice one. Keep the girls in the dream. I'm taking mine (6&14) round the NL in a few weeks.

Reactolight or whatever they're called lenses on my glasses.
The upside down smile was my look of concentration trying to fall off :P and the freewheel/freehub was slipping horribly on that trike which kinda spoiled it a bit.

What's the NL?
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

NL = Netherlands. Looks like a cracking day.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Spent some time in the workshop today breathing life back into the tandem. Wiped the dust off, pumped the tyres back up, put the stokers pedals back on. Spinacci take-offs fitted, bar-end shifters relocated accordingly and drag-brake switched from thumbie to bar-end.

Good to go :) .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

gaz wrote:Spent some time in the workshop today breathing life back into the tandem. Wiped the dust off, pumped the tyres back up, put the stokers pedals back on. Spinacci take-offs fitted, bar-end shifters relocated accordingly and drag-brake switched from thumbie to bar-end.

Good to go :) .

:) Where's the LIKE button?
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
gaz

Post by gaz »

Getting it ready was good. Taking it out together for a ride in the sunshine was even better :D .
Tandem.jpg

Picked some blackberries on the way back, apple and blackberry crumble tomorrow :D .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
ragudave

Post by ragudave »

When cycling down in the rain this morning - two bus drivers let me cross the only right hand turn on my work commute. The wee one on her bike seat never even bothered about the rain, and wipes my seat when tis wet.
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

+ whitworth :D
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Stood and watched this Egret looking for it's lunch whilst I munched mine , in the sun at Southport last week, very pleasant.

P1070905 (640x324).jpg
Nu-Fogey
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

It was chucking down and cold, maybe 5 degrees max. I almost didn't ride my bike because the cold and wet were rather demotivating. I went anyway, and the rain let up enough to look like mist on the autumn-coloured hills, and I altogether enjoyed the ride.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

colin54 wrote:Stood and watched this Egret looking for it's lunch whilst I munched mine , in the sun at Southport last week, very pleasant.

P1070905 (640x324).jpg

We were out on the tandem yesterday on the Wirral Way cyclepath,stopped at Neston,where I saw a beautiful small bowl in a charity shop that said "eat your breakfast from me",and I did this morning :) and also bagged a couple of good paperbacks from the same shop :)
We also had some excellent lentil dahl soup in Sainsbury's cafe :) , and then went along the front at Parkgate(Dee estuary) and saw two Egrets,one of which landed not 40m away from where we were sat :)
A very positive day :D even though I did forget my binocular :roll:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

I wasn't almost hit by a car this morning.
Si

Post by Si »

On Sunday - feeling tired and jaded after working on the bike all day, decided to get the train home rather than ride all the way across the city into the head wind. Train came in, I went to the door next to the bike compartment, pressed the button, nothing happened, pressed again, nothing happened, then all the other doors closed and train left without me. Stood there, swore a bit, decided I wasn't going to wait another half hour for another train so rode back.......it was a very pleasant ride in the evening sunshine. Because I was a bit tired I went slow and so the head wind didn't really have that much effect. Went the scenic way through parks and along the canal tow path - families relaxing, herons fishing, etc. A really lovely ride and by the time I was home I wasn't at all annoyed about the train, in fact I was quite thankful at not being crammed in with all the shoppers and screaming kids!
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Called my wife's bluff yesterday and prepped her bike for her to have a ride around the local park. After the initial wobbles she did a bit on her bike (very little used) and then had a go on my Brompton :D . Bit nervous of the pedestrians (half term - lots of children!).

Have to figure out a way of her not straining an old shoulder injury (tendon). And get used to changing gears!

Fingers crossed !
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Graham

Post by Graham »

I took my Raleigh Road Ace for a 35 mile ride targeting the far end of the Meon Valley Trail.
In my back pocket I was carrying a spirit-level to double check that the sign that we had installed a few days ago was level.

The oak-framed sign must have weighed 200Kg+ and it was a bit much as a four-man lift. We had some difficulty getting it level at the time ( but we achieved it ). Now that the Postcrete is set it is a bit late to do anything about it, but I do want to avoid the label "installer of wonky signs".

Good news. It is level and hasn't moved.