rain

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Vorpal

rain

Post by Vorpal »

We had mixed sun and clouds (and a little rain) today. There were some threatening looking clouds on the horizon for some time without bringing any rain. I puttered around the garden and did a few other things, then went for a bike ride. I had about an hour before I needed to go back, make some phone calls, and start supper.

Five minutes into my ride, it started raining. I rode through the rain for about half an hour, then headed back. It started clearing up on my way home, and by the time I got home, there was no rain, and surfaces were mostly dry.

I asked Mr. V, and he said that while I was out, they just had a few fat drops, and the rain passed them by. :lol: I must have ridden into it, though it wasn't obvious in the cloud formations.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Redvee

Re: rain

Post by Redvee »

I had a few spots of rain at the beginning of my commute to work today and had a shadow chasing me as I got close to work.
rjb

Post by rjb »

We were caught in a torrential downpour only 3 miles from home. We took shelter in the porch of a village church. We had to wait almost an hour for it to pass. We set off homewards to discover that only 100 yards further on the roads were bone dry and they had missed it all!
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

That's what they mean when the met office use the term 'localised heavy showers' :-)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I've been driving along a motorway once, in good light, with no rain at all.

There were rivulets running across the carriageway because on the other code of the central reservation it was lashing it down - everyone had their lights on, and wipers going full blast, and reduced speed...

The boundary just happened to be along the central reservation, for over a mile.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

rain rain go away come again another day, preferably when I am not out cycling please.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We were out along the coastal paths near Golant, Fowey and Tywardreath yesterday on a walking pub crawl! :D
11hrs in total, and 12miles with seven pubs. Should have been eight pubs, but we got lost.

As we arrived at the first pub - The Fishermans Arms - the heavens opened, and then it hailed. We were under cover and out of it and our beers didn't get diluted, thank goodness. :shock: We were sat undercover to the right of this picture. http://fishermansarmsgolant.co.uk/wp-co ... 010317.jpg
By the time we left, the weather had cleared up, but once or twice we were caught in brief showers.

It's been blowing a hooligan today, and we're glad it wasn't like this yesterday.
Mick F. Cornwall
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

It didn't rain today and there was a following wind home. 8)
But then, of course, we weren't on the bike.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Mick F wrote:We were out along the coastal paths near Golant, Fowey and Tywardreath yesterday on a walking pub crawl! :D
11hrs in total, and 12miles with seven pubs. Should have been eight pubs, but we got lost.

As we arrived at the first pub - The Fishermans Arms - the heavens opened, and then it hailed. We were under cover and out of it and our beers didn't get diluted, thank goodness. :shock: We were sat undercover to the right of this picture. http://fishermansarmsgolant.co.uk/wp-co ... 010317.jpg
By the time we left, the weather had cleared up, but once or twice we were caught in brief showers.

It's been blowing a hooligan today, and we're glad it wasn't like this yesterday.

Very nice route that. Part of it is known as Val's leap where the Mrs nearly went over the edge near Tywardreath.

Al :)
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
jollytiddlywink

Post by jollytiddlywink »

Several years back, I looked out the window of my house and saw it starting to rain heavily. I muttered something, and went to fetch something from another room. I got there and was surprised to see it was bright and sunny. "That stopped very suddenly" I thought. I went back to the first room, and it was still raining heavily. Yes, it was glorious sunshine on one side of the (small, terraced) house and chucking it down on the other!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

No rain today. Mini V had a band rehearsal, so we rode bikes there & back in the sunshine :D

It is about 7 or 8 miles each way, and Mini V's friends sure looked impressed that she had cycled.

It was warm enough that we were down to base layers in the sun.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No rain - or winds - are forecast for today, so I'm off riding for the morning.
After breakfast, I'm off. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I remember doing a photo shoot on Marazion beach with my touring buddies, one year. Out to sea we could see the next band of showers sweeping in (we had had a lot of short lived showers on that trip). We jumped on the bikes and hightailed it down the road, heading eastwards. We watched as one of the showers passed behind and to our left, and the other passed from our right and in front.... distinctly raining in our next destination town of Helston...... and sure enough when we arrived the streets were wet, but we had ridden in glorious sunshine all the way and it was now cracking the flags of Helston....

We weren't always so lucky on that trip as I recall sheltering under bridges, and behind a low wall at Penzance to gain what minimum shelter it could offer us as yet another shower swept in...
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Just got a new allotment. Its quite frustrating because of the frequent rain showers. Everything is going to get planted late. Someone had pinched most of the Rhubarb plants on it but I have put some bins on a couple of small corms that were left to force them in this chilly weather.

Its out at sea you can really see rain showers and squalls clearly, they sweep along with dark streaks of rain. So, if you are at somewhere at the seas edge you will see them clearly too.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

Went to today and rode round Denbies vineyard Surrey, it was very wet. My wife took the dog out and they were pretty well soaked. Good job my legs are waterproof.
Mind is is still April.