Appropriate words of advice ?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
reohn2

Re: Appropriate words of advice ?

Post by reohn2 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
In the past I have had a police man shake his fist at me.
Not in a million years would this happen today and get away with it.

I am with Mick F on this they work for us like MP's should also not for them selves, I have several police in the family so I know they are very normal and do what the rest of us do BUT they should not act this way when on duty in full view for sure.

TBH I didn't find a lot wrong with the police officer in the video OK he was a bit forthright in his admonishment,but the cyclist was a twonk both in his riding and attitude IMHO.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

Felt the need to offer some 'words' to someone on their bike today as they passed me while waiting in a traffic queue, zipped through the narrow gap between cars, ran the red light that we stopped at and on up the road. Shorlty after the light turned green and the rest of us more conscientious road users set off. I was quite surprised to then find myself catching up with Mr RLJumper who was now going quite slowly up the hill riding on a narrow pavement - bare in mind I am not any kind of Wiggo and I am riding a long john cargo bike. As I draw level I say 'Excuse me but riding like that give us all a bad name and make life harder for the rest of us' The dull uncomprehending look he gave told me two things. 1. I was wasting my breath, 2. If his hands weren't on the handlebars they would be dragging on the pavement.
I think today was a bit more rubbish than usual - at least two close passes and one deliberate punishment pass complete with revving engine and horn blowing, and two people driving straight at me on my side of the road to get past parked cars rather than stopping to let me by first.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
You would expect us lot to be a bit thick / hard headed as we get older :)
But the first response to use a better word to the cyclist "what do you want mate?" was "I am not you mate" that is a typical retort from some one who is confronted in the street when an offending driver does not get his way with bad driving.
They get out of there car and say "Whats your problem mate" and you reply I am not your mate, well I have anyway.

Not the sort of response you would expect from the copper being the first words he muttered.
You might expect it mid conversation.

I understand the copper got increasingly frustrated, even if you say the cyclist was a twonk............don't they see far worse daily in their job, how would they handle that.

Anyway we are all the down trodden when we run the gauntlet of mounting our bikes, surviving to old age is some feat for sure :)
No biggy just my opinion :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
baghwallah

Post by baghwallah »

I just need to know one thing... Was this filmed with a head/helmet mounted camera?

If it was, then he didn't look behind once. Okay, the policeman was a See-You-Next-Tuesday, but the cyclist was hardly a hero.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Yeh, no ones the hero but one is upholding the law and being paid too...........40 Grand plus.

The last Time I was threatened with arrest :?
I asked how this would happen :?: (if I refused to answer questions, no charge and never was to be either).

Oh said PC I will go away and get some one to help me then I will come back :lol:

Do you think that I would still be there...............................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
millimole

Post by millimole »

It's a while since I've had anything to do with the Metropolitan Police force, but I always found them very aggressive and'forthright'.
In this video the copper is unnecessarily aggressive, but I'm not sure that the cyclist is blameless either.
Anyone constantly calling me 'mate' would hack me off.
I think that the original sin here might have been the cyclist pulling out of the lane without indicating - we can't see this o the video, but if he did pull unexpectedly out in front of the police car (or another vehicle) then that was probable cause of the beep we hear.
The other possibly wider issue is the fast and furious nature of the cycling was seem to see in London where commuting is turning into a list of Strava segments to be beaten. Chill!
The way the police car was used to try to pull the cyclist over was just plain daft - I wouldn't have responded to the siren.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly using hovercraft full of eels.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider