Commute to train then walk other end:rucksack/panniers-

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Quins

Commute to train then walk other end:rucksack/panniers-

Post by Quins »

I would like to pick your brains on the different options. I'm struggling for spare time to fit club runs in at weekends and trying to tick over by commuting to a station 12 miles away 3+ times a week. It's a flat rural route with no stopping really until I get to the station. Then a 45 minute train ride into London and a 20 minute walk or another train 1 stop.

I carry lunch box, office clothes ( shirt,tie, trousers, socks pants, sweater), wallet , building pass, ID wallet, train pass, keys, 2 phones, iPad, earphones, a note pad and pen, occasionally some other bits .

Bike is left at station and I,leave the very heavy kryptonite lock there too. Shoes in the office

I used a 30 ltr ruck sack last year and I'm looking to replace it ( it's not bike specific, straps flap all over, zips broken...). I am considering a pannier, but I'm not sure of the practicalities of carrying one when off the bike and what size/storage/ organisation would be practical.

Do any of you have a similar commute? What do you use, pros and cons etc? I sometimes have meetings away from my base office so used ruck sack for for work notebook and papers.

Grateful for your experiences.
Cunobelin

Re: Commute to train then walk other end:rucksack/panniers-

Post by Cunobelin »

I use the Ortlieb Vario

It is either a pannier with fold out straps that turn it into a rucksack... or a rucksack with folding straps that turns into a pannier

A little heavy compared with a normal pannier because of the straps, abd a little expensive

However the usual Ortleib quality is present

Look for an older version as they are cheaper, but also have the QL2 fitting. The modern QL3 fitting requires a fitting on the bike pannier which reduces the transferability between bikes
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I use a normal Ortleib pannier with a carry strap.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

I use an Ortleib role top with standard day pack inside but I don't think you would necessarily get all you gear in it. With a bit of practice it is easy to get the day pack in and out of the pannier. I use the second pannier for wet weather cycle kit plus ferrying the packs of clean clothes at the start of the week and just leave this on the bike.

My journey is similar but I could not manage it successfully without a shower on arrival. Do you have any capacity to leave clean clothes with a wash kit and have a shower at work? I leave clean clothes folded with work shoes at work and ferry the clean pack in a separate bag at the start of the week. I leave suit tie and belt on a hanger on the coat rack with a hand towel (drys quickly in the air conditioned office).

I started at 12 miles a day but it eventually grew to 42. The increase in fitness has been phenomenal.
ThePinkOne

Post by ThePinkOne »

I use an Ortleib Downtown briefcase-pannier with the QL3 fitting for my rear pannier rack. The fitting means there's no hooks to catch and it looks smart enough (in the darker colours) for visiting clients. In fact it's so handy that I also use it on days when I am away all day by train.

The QL3 fitting is restrictive but it does mean you can get the briefcase to fit at just the right angle to avoid heel-strike and makes attachment/removal really easy. If you use the same bike for commuting (and use the bike mainly for commuting) it works really well. The briefcase is comfortable to carry off the bike and will take a laptop, change of clothes, packed lunch and the usual bits and pieces. It isn't cheap but you get what you pay for- a decent bit of kit that works and lasts, and is properly waterproof.

If I needed extra carrying space (or want a better balanced load) I could pop a normal pannier on the other side at the rear; but I never really find the need to do so as even with a full load the briefcase is usually ample for me. Usually I leave clothes in work during the week but even on Fridays/Mondays I have ample space.

TPO
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

ThePinkOne wrote:I use an Ortleib Downtown briefcase-pannier with the QL3 fitting for my rear pannier rack. The fitting means there's no hooks to catch and it looks smart enough (in the darker colours) for visiting clients. In fact it's so handy that I also use it on days when I am away all day by train.

The QL3 fitting is restrictive but it does mean you can get the briefcase to fit at just the right angle to avoid heel-strike and makes attachment/removal really easy. If you use the same bike for commuting (and use the bike mainly for commuting) it works really well. The briefcase is comfortable to carry off the bike and will take a laptop, change of clothes, packed lunch and the usual bits and pieces. It isn't cheap but you get what you pay for- a decent bit of kit that works and lasts, and is properly waterproof.

If I needed extra carrying space (or want a better balanced load) I could pop a normal pannier on the other side at the rear; but I never really find the need to do so as even with a full load the briefcase is usually ample for me. Usually I leave clothes in work during the week but even on Fridays/Mondays I have ample space.

TPO

I considered this and it is a more elegant solution. The only thing that deterred me is that I am prone to back problems and I prefer a backpack to a brief case as my work bag. I think you can buy a backpack adaptor from Ortleib bu I was concerned it might look a bit odd at work.
Quins

Post by Quins »

Thanks everyone for your replies. One thing stands out, Ortlieb! Seems the make of choice hands down. I will try and source an Ortlieb, a classic back roller looks like it could do the job, shoulder strap will help with the train and walk element of the commute. I can leave a briefcase at work.

How sturdy are the shoulder straps on the Ortlieb Classic rollers?

Another reason for the pannier choice is I have degenerative discs in L2,3,4 ( 3 in a row, should win a prize!) recently using my heavy, generic Jeep rucksack wasn't enjoyable. I'm sure a bike specific type rucksack would be better, with proper hip , chest and good shoulder straps.

Any further comments welcome.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

You could keep a couple of sets of work clothes in the office and change them when you don't cycle commute.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Another thought about this...

You could get a bag of your choice, even one with luggage wheels and attache pannier clips to it; even Ortleib ones, if that's what you want.

You could also just strap a bag to a rack.

Most normal luggage isnæt waterproof, but you could either buy specifically waterproof luggage, or a cover for it.

At least that way, you could get something that suits you for carrying around, and not worry about getting something bicycle specific.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
Quins

Post by Quins »

Thanks again Vorpal and tykeboy2093.. Yeah, I will transfer clothes as and the opportunity arises.
I have just put a gash pannier rack on and will see how that goes with bungee chords over the old rucksack ( I do have a hump cover) , just concerned in how crumpled my work clobber will be.. It's a learning curve.

I'm not that versed in pannier racks, I noted that the Ortlieb reviews mention different pannier widths.... Didn't realise there was a difference...couldn't be standard could they...
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Quins wrote:just concerned in how crumpled my work clobber will be.. It's a learning curve.

There are wrinkle-resistant clothes, even business clothes. I have a suit from M&S that is machine washable, and practically indestructible. I can roll it up in a pannier, and it looks fine on the other side of my trip. :D
Quins

Post by Quins »

Update is that I'm sticking with the Osprey Momentum 30. It's certainly big enough with some good organisation. It feels so much better than my old rucksack (not huge surprise). I'm using the laptop area to carry my work shirt and trousers, keeps them nice and flat. The other areas are big enough for lunch boxes, 2 phones, pens, wet wipes, work,ID, passes, half a dozen eggs ( I take them in for mates at work, from my hens), extra bike kit ( leggings, spare tubes,mini pump, tools etc) and the lid lock is good. I'm still getting used to the pockets, where's best to keep everything.

I used the rain cover last week, a mile into the ride it tipped down , shoes filled up, bag and contents stayed dry.

My only gripe would be that for a bag of this price and pedigree, Opsrey couldn't supply "keepers" to keep the straps tidy, unbelievable. So I resort to elastic bands to stop the flapping.

Nice bag for on and off the bike. The Deuter trans Alpin seems to be in a similar bracket and well reviewed.
climo

Post by climo »

Ortleib do a rucksac convertor for their regular panniers. Rolls up when not in use.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

In the days when I cycled in different clothes from those I work in, I used to keep my suit and ties at the office - and even a spare pair of shoes for when I'd got those really soaked on the way in. That way you only have to carry more limited amounts of clothing that might fit in a briefcase pannier. If that is an option for you?