Advance cycle traffic light spotted in London

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
iviehoff

Advance cycle traffic light spotted in London

Post by iviehoff »

I've seen advance cyclist green lights in Switzerland, where they have long been a regular feature of the traffic landscape there, alongside advance bus lights. Today I saw one in London. Must be brand new, it wasn't there a couple of weeks ago - in fact the street works at that location a couple of weeks ago must have been to install it. I was so surprised I didn't work out what it permitted me to do until its advantage had expired.

Located at Ludgate Circus, coming from the Fleet St direction. Anyone seen any others, or is this a first?
lingy

Re: Advance cycle traffic light spotted in London

Post by lingy »

There's been one in York for several years now...near the station. Gives cyclists a few seconds head start.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Is there a sign to explain to the mopeds, taxis and buses that it's not for them? There are lots of them across Europe all respected by the other traffic. We can't even keep other traffic out of ASL's (why is it that at normal stop lines no cars will go the line but they must encroach on the ASL box?)
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

foxyrider wrote:(why is it that at normal stop lines no cars will go the line but they must encroach on the ASL box?)

First up I see plenty of "creeping" over normal stop lines

Secondly it's because that space is clearly "safe" to enter.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
AndyBSG

Post by AndyBSG »

iviehoff wrote:Anyone seen any others, or is this a first?

There's been one at the notorious Bow Roundabout for a year or so... Just a shame most of the traffic on that roundabout jumps the red lights during rush hour anyway making it of dubious benefit.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

foxyrider wrote:Is there a sign to explain to the mopeds, taxis and buses that it's not for them? There are lots of them across Europe all respected by the other traffic. We can't even keep other traffic out of ASL's (why is it that at normal stop lines no cars will go the line but they must encroach on the ASL box?)

I don't think the other kinds of traffic will misinterpret a green light in the shape of a bicycle. I was a bit surprised by it, as I sometimes am by left filter lights, because there is no corresponding red and amber. I regularly use a junction with left filter and I still sometimes overlook it. My issue with this cycle light was knowing precisely what manoeuvres it permits. There is a N/S bicycle route at this junction - is it only permitting me to turn into the bicycle route, or can I also take other exits from the junction?

It's a sufficiently long time since I've been to Switzerland I can't remember how they do theirs, and google doesn't want to help me remember.
mjr

Post by mjr »

They've forgotten the countdown lights!
[youtube]6GkCJArNfNY[/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GkCJArNfNY

iviehoff wrote:My issue with this cycle light was knowing precisely what manoeuvres it permits. There is a N/S bicycle route at this junction - is it only permitting me to turn into the bicycle route, or can I also take other exits from the junction?

You can take any exit because the green light permits you to cross the associated stop line. Beware other traffic entering the junction, though, as the designers may not have been expecting you. Oxford had a so-called "conflicting greens" junction a while ago and it seemed to cause some confusion - I'm not sure if they're rephased it since.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.