Janet Street Porter

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Revolution

Janet Street Porter

Post by Revolution »

On BBC2 yesterday - Janet Street Porter vs Andrew Gilligan

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03tm40m

Afraid its the usual illogical rant which goes from congestion - danger - increased pollution! caused by cyclists.
Gilligan does well by countering her hysterical ranting with a measured and sensible argument.
661-Pete

Re: Janet Street Porter

Post by 661-Pete »

What can I possibly say in answer to that, but:
Janet Street Porter walks into a bar. "Can I have a large aperitif?" she asks. The barman looks her up and down and says, sadly, "I seriously doubt it lady."
This may get moderated on grounds of teethism......
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Street-Porter,Rees-Mogg.Is it something to do with double barrelled names :?
I've never heard such tripe from so called 'intelligent people'.
Gilligan was the only person with a degree of sanity,other than a flash of inspiration from Street-Porter mentioning banning cars and trucks during busy times.
Of course h*lm*ts just had to be mentioned :evil:

The usual crap........
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

There seemed to be quite a range of stress levels between the members of the panel, I wonder if it was linked to their favoured mode of transport?
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Damn! Thought you were going to tell us she'd died. :roll: Horrible woman. Even endorses and defends the production of veal. Still, life needs people like her - sufficiently wrong to help define right.

I'm afraid I can't watch it or I'll use up my fast-diminishing monthly mobile broadband allowance, but that's a good enough excuse.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

The time someone called her Manic Street-Preacher seems even more appropriate now.
karlt

Post by karlt »

The woman jumped the shark a long time ago, alas.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Londoners know that its a barmy idea to try to use a car to get around London. I am surprised she objects to only 12 miles of cycle highways. She is right about some cyclists behavior, its often appalling, but just about anyone can pick up a Boris bike. It tars us all with the same brush. As for taxis, everyone knows they have their own rules. They should be the preserve of people with mobility problems, there are just far too many of them. They are a major cause of congestion. A badly chaired debate.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote:Londoners know that its a barmy idea to try to use a car to get around London. I am surprised she objects to only 12 miles of cycle highways. She is right about some cyclists behavior, its often appalling, but just about anyone can pick up a Boris bike. It tars us all with the same brush. As for taxis, everyone knows they have their own rules. They should be the preserve of people with mobility problems, there are just far too many of them. They are a major cause of congestion. A badly chaired debate.

Al

Everyone knows about cyclists behaviour,they have their own rules :?

There's something can be done about that.
Effective Policing.... .....Oh! wait,we can't afford them now with being so poor an' all :? .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

The silver lining from JSP is that I've read in three places so far that people have changed their views because she took ideas to their logical-yet-absurd conclusion and it horrified them. Two places it was people giving up helmets, and in one it was people realising bike-MOTs are a really bad idea.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

This discussion was simply about congestion in one of the most congested cities in the world and how cycles are displacing vehicles. Before making any long journey these days I usually consult Google Maps which clearly shows congested places which can often be avoided. This article is interesting. Can the 'internet of moving things' end traffic jams? - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36215293 But as we all know things will still get gridlocked if there is just too much traffic and it will come..

As for London, compared with Delhi, Beijing Lima and Santiago which I have been to in recent years, its a paradise as far as traffic flows are concerned. I liked the traffic light countdowns in foreign cities. Everyone knows how long they will have to wait which helps control frustration. Then, there is the Beijing solution - odd and even number plates banned on alternate days. The well orf will avoid it with two cars!

As for the Plod, yes, where are they? Answer… dealing with an increasing number of domestics according to my Plod pals.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Revolution

Post by Revolution »

She is right about some cyclists behaviour, its often appalling

Agreed - but I was walking down a pavement the other day and a pedestrian, texting on their phone walked right into me and they don't even need an MOT to walk around town - I think its diabolical - they should have to take a walking test etc etc etc etc etc :roll:
Tizme

Post by Tizme »

What a sad argument from someone who was President of the Ramblers Association, how come she didn't acknowledge that more bikes = cleaner air, more bikes = less noise, more bikes = less congestion. I thought Andrew Gilligan did very well, attempting to answer hysterical arguments in a reasoned manner. I am sure there are plenty of examples of poor cycling, much the same as there are plenty of examples of poor driving and from what I've seen on the few occasions I've been in London, plenty of examples of poor behaviour by pedestrians. As for the "must wear a helmet" rant...
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

al_yrpal wrote: This article is interesting. Can the 'internet of moving things' end traffic jams? - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36215293 But as we all know things will still get gridlocked if there is just too much traffic and it will come..

Al

Large parts of London are already running at effectively 100% capacity with traffic held back by the UTC system in some places to prevent others gridlocking entirely.

Much of that link seems to focus more on other things such as optimising deliveries or taxi income.

There's only really two potential gains to be had for vehicular traffic. The first is system optimised routing but that would require almost everyone to follow given routes and to be fair is a fairly minor gain. The second is reduced headways as a result of automated vehicles but that's a couple of decades yet.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Cycling in London seems to have very few rules and regulations......
JS-P :? :? unlike anywhere else, of course. :roll:
She owns a bike, likes cycling and is pro cycling. Where - on roads? She lived 10years in Clerkenwell. Did she cycle? If not why not?
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.