Close passes BY cyclists

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
MikeF

Close passes BY cyclists

Post by MikeF »

Last night I was outside a rural pub on a minor unlit road except for pub lights. It was half light with morris dancers in the road. A cyclist pedalled by on a road bike at a speed of 20mph (my estimate}, passing very close and startling many people. He didn't give any warning or reduce speed, didn't appear to have any front light, but could have had an ineffectual blinky and had a red blinking rear light.

The effect of his actions generated cries of "knock him off", "throw a stick at him", "put a stick through his spokes", "bloody cyclists", "next time ……." etc.

I'm sure it left many feeling they needed "to get their own back" by giving cyclists a close pass, just as he had given them a close pass. At the moment there are campaigns etc to request a minimum legal passing distance of cyclists, but actions like this stir up an enormous amount of hatred/prejudice against cyclists by the much larger non cycling community. If we want consideration from others we need to give consideration as well!
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
pwa

Re: Close passes BY cyclists

Post by pwa »

A prat is a prat whether he's on a bike, driving a car or whatever. Content yourself with the sure and certain knowledge that his next close encounter with the tarmac can only be a few miles away.
meic

Post by meic »

Yet when (if) a car driver slows down to 20mph in their tonne plus of steel in the same circumstances, they are applauded for their courtesy!
Yma o Hyd
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

meic wrote:Yet when (if) a car driver slows down to 20mph in their tonne plus of steel in the same circumstances, they are applauded for their courtesy!
That's true, except that a car would have undoubtedly hit someone if it had done the same, and at the time the occasional cars were showing headlights.
I don't peddle bikes.
sapperadam

Post by sapperadam »

I was actually thinking about posting something along these exact lines.

I've been walking to work recently - living about ten minutes walk door to door from the office at the moment - and four times in the past three days I have been nearly hit by someone on a bike. Twice was the same person and they have received a gobful from me. This all happened on the same stretch of footpath which has been narrowed considerably because of building works. The problem is though that each of these persons would likely not be in the same camp as those likely to be on here. They are almost exclusively riding cheap mountain bikes, but the non-cycling community would put them in the same camp.

This mornings's idiot looked right at me as he rode past me (which is when he got a mouthful) but totally ignored me otherwise - he was shortly followed by a unicyclist!! Who was on the road but then jumped on the path to avoid the traffic lights!!
whoof

Post by whoof »

MikeF wrote: I'm sure it left many feeling they needed "to get their own back" by giving cyclists a close pass, just as he had given them a close pass. At the moment there are campaigns etc to request a minimum legal passing distance of cyclists, but actions like this stir up an enormous amount of hatred/prejudice against cyclists by the much larger non cycling community. If we want consideration from others we need to give consideration as well!

The person riding the bike sounds like a right idiot. Of course we should all ride as courteously as we can and were appropriate challenge other people's bad behaviour.

But anyone considering any of the action above would be a far greater idiot.

On the road outside my house drivers exceed the speed limit and regularly drive whilst using mobile phones. In the last couple of years three people have driven (at speed) into parked cars outside my house, one with enough force to write-off my neighbours car. They have demolished the wall of the church and driven through a shop window. If I were to "get my own back" by saying lobbing bricks at passing cars I would quite rightly be dealt with by the police.

People seem to have the mental capacity to be able to disassociate a 'bad' driver from all drivers but for some reason cannot do the same when someone is riding a bike. Cyclists should give consideration to others and the general public need to consider their prejudices.
karlt

Post by karlt »

whoof wrote:
MikeF wrote: I'm sure it left many feeling they needed "to get their own back" by giving cyclists a close pass, just as he had given them a close pass. At the moment there are campaigns etc to request a minimum legal passing distance of cyclists, but actions like this stir up an enormous amount of hatred/prejudice against cyclists by the much larger non cycling community. If we want consideration from others we need to give consideration as well!

The person riding the bike sounds like a right idiot. Of course we should all ride as courteously as we can and were appropriate challenge other people's bad behaviour.

But anyone considering any of the action above would be a far greater idiot.

On the road outside my house drivers exceed the speed limit and regularly drive whilst using mobile phones. In the last couple of years three people have driven (at speed) into parked cars outside my house, one with enough force to write-off my neighbours car. They have demolished the wall of the church and driven through a shop window. If I were to "get my own back" by saying lobbing bricks at passing cars I would quite rightly be dealt with by the police.

People seem to have the mental capacity to be able to disassociate a 'bad' driver from all drivers but for some reason cannot do the same when someone is riding a bike. Cyclists should give consideration to others and the general public need to consider their prejudices.

I can give you the "some reason". Cyclists are an outgroup, to which the hard of thinking individuals we're talking about do not belong. They do belong to the group "motorists", so will not ascribe to all motorists the actions of a minority. They do not belong to the group "cyclists", and so can do so without condemning themselves.
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

People are born idiots. They don't suddenly become one when they buy a bike/car/private jet etc.
Last edited by Lance Dopestrong on 14 May 2016, 8:44am, edited 1 time in total.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

MikeF wrote:Last night I was outside a rural pub on a minor unlit road except for pub lights. It was half light with morris dancers in the road. A cyclist pedalled by on a road bike at a speed of 20mph (my estimate}, passing very close and startling many people. He didn't give any warning or reduce speed, didn't appear to have any front light, but could have had an ineffectual blinky and had a red blinking rear light.

The effect of his actions generated cries of "knock him off", "throw a stick at him", "put a stick through his spokes", "bloody cyclists", "next time ……." etc.

I'm sure it left many feeling they needed "to get their own back" by giving cyclists a close pass, just as he had given them a close pass. At the moment there are campaigns etc to request a minimum legal passing distance of cyclists, but actions like this stir up an enormous amount of hatred/prejudice against cyclists by the much larger non cycling community. If we want consideration from others we need to give consideration as well!

Sounds like just another stupid twunt! I've got every sympathy, and would probably have shouted at him as well. BUT, what is this we? Did you know him? Do I know him? What on earth had he got to do with anyone? As has been said many times, an buttock-orifice is an buttock-orifice in a van, car, lorry and on a bike. So is the logic that, if I show 'consideration' in Somerset, a driver in Cornwall will be more considerate? Wouldn't that be just lovely :-)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
Si

Post by Si »

Ah, but were the morris men wearing hiviz, and were they morrissing more than 2 abreast? And I'm not even going to ask if they were wearing morris helmets.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

It seems all the idiots are out lately.
I was overtaken by a cyclist today. Coming up to some lights in Horwich, he decided to mount the footpath and cut back in when they turned green. A further set of 'roadworks lights' in Adlington he decided to go through the fenced pedestrian route to get through.
The following cyclist who overtook me then proceeded to overtake MrIDontNeedToStopAtLights and did so without any kind of shoulder check. Luckily the driver of the car coming up to pass him moved way out into the opposite lane to avoid hitting him.
Flippin summer bunnies bringing their crap habits out from hibernation.
I'm actually looking forward to winter again when they all park their bikes till it's warm again.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Si wrote:Ah, but were the morris men wearing hiviz, and were they morrissing more than 2 abreast? And I'm not even going to ask if they were wearing morris helmets.

I'm with you. I got 'morrised out' at a folk festival a few years back. I can't do the bells or stick clacking without going into a spasm now. THEN at a nearby wassailing I was invited to join a local group recently 'coz I looked like I could'! Whatever that meant.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Si wrote:Ah, but were the morris men wearing hiviz, and were they morrissing more than 2 abreast? And I'm not even going to ask if they were wearing morris helmets.
Good one! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't peddle bikes.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

It seems Julie Rand on her LEJOG also had a close pass by a cyclist.
Descending the road, however, 3 things happen simultaneously which show how quickly things can change from exhilaration to excruciating while you're cycling: first of all a Polish coach overtakes us at tad too close for comfort just before the road bottoms out. Then a roadie skims silently passed my right shoulder as I'm about to move out for the bend. Seconds later a large sheep to my left decides it's time to see if the grass really is greener on the other side of the road.
I don't peddle bikes.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

In Dublin at a set of lights one of my colleagues was waiting to cross when a car jumped a red light.

First reaction of the others around her was to hold hands out to stop people stepping off the kerb. Then the stepped forward as one and stopped the car (hands raised) and gave them a mouthful.
The driver then had to wait for everyone to cross before they could continue.

My South African colleague was astounded, particularly that they'd stopped the driver, but I pointed out that by stopping the driver they'd reduced the incentive for anyone else...

Not sure I could do that in the UK - though I do similar with side roads and other crossings.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.