Speeding Penalties in Switzerland

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
tatanab

Re: Speeding Penalties in Switzerland

Post by tatanab »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Enjoyable?! Learning is always good, but but.. Did the speakers try to make you feel remorse? Did it have a lasting effect, is your average speed lower now?
Don't forget that to be offered a speed awareness course your speed has to be pretty close to the speed limit. 70 in a 30 does not do it. Yes it was enjoyable. As a cyclist/motor cyclist/driver of all sorts of vehicles I knew all the stuff others did not. Remorse - no. The speakers re-educated people about how to assess the speed limit where there may be no obvious signs and to make it clear that the time gained is a very very small amount even over a journey of several hours. Lasting effect/Lower average speed - it did not need to on me. I am Mr Law Abiding. On others I cannot tell. What was my offence? 36 in a 30 doing just what my IAM training would say. Urban dual carriageway (yes it was a 30) approaching an offset roundabout. Sensible to complete a pass on a large lorry before the roundabout - "Flash". No argument, I did the crime.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Since being caught (doing 24 in a 20) I have started using a satnav on all jouneys, even where I know the route. Just so that it beeps at me when it detects that I am at or above a limit. A little beepy slap on the wrist. Very useful , though it only works in about 80% of instances. On some roads it has the wrong limits, so you can't trust it completely.

I will report on the course. I think it is a good idea in principle, though I do think I know most of what they will tell me. I already know it is 30 where there are street lights and nothing to indicate another speed. I know different classes of vehicle have different limits on the different classes of road where the national speed limit is in operation. But I'll engage with it.

My speeding problem is just concentration, which is why I'm using the satnav solution.
BakfietsUK

Post by BakfietsUK »

Do the speed awareness courses give any information on the implications of speeding on the survivability of a collision? I would hope they tell people why the speed limits are there as some assume that they exist for the sole purpose of cash revenue and to spoil the lives of motorists.

pwa says about doing 24 in a 20 zone and I thought to legally operate a 20 zone, there had to be other "self policing" measures, which to you and me means traffic calming. I have seen 20 zones without physical measures, so I am wondering if they are still necessary.

Also pwa I think the fact that you were doing 24 would mean if you hit a pedestrian they may have a chance of survival. So if the 20 zone limited you to 24 (20 + 20%) that seems a positive affirmation of 20 zones. That's if I suppose you were aware of it being a 20 zone and were caught doing 24 when you might have just as easily been doing 36 (30 + 20%). A collision speed of 36 presents a significant rise in risk levels for the pedestrian.

It seems almost redundant to mention that I have never been on a speed awareness course.
Barks

Post by Barks »

I have been on a speed awareness course (35 in 30 mph limit) and they do cover the effect on stoping distances and decreased survival rates. We were also given a very useful piece of advice to help maintain speed discipline - 2nd gear out to 20 mph, 3rd gear up to 30 mph, 4th gear up to 40mph. Once you get up towards the speed limit in the relevent gear the engine noise is reminder that you are getting close to or exceeding the limit. We questioned the effect on pollution and the consensus was that the extra engine revs would be easily offset by a smoother driving style with less braking. It has worked for me although now that I am much better at keeping to the speed limits I have seen a massive increase of flashing lights in my rear view mirror and even the occasional desperate overtake and cutting in that is very much like the punishment passes I get when on the bike - have any of you out there been impatient with car drivers in front of you keeping to the speed limits?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote: ........ though it only works in about 80% of instances. On some roads it has the wrong limits, so you can't trust it completely.......

.......My speeding problem is just concentration, which is why I'm using the satnav solution.

So only any good some of the time,a solution which can get you in trouble if relied on.

FWIW,I don't think there are enough repeater roundels especially in 30 limits,if the idea is to make drivers aware of the speed limit then IMO the driver should be left in no doubt about the limit on any particular road,especially as there are far more foreign drivers on UK roads than ever there were previously,and relying on lamposts to dictate speed limits is easily overlooked by drivers in certain circumstances.
When driving in France I'm never left in any doubt as to the speed limit on any given road.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Barks wrote: ....... I am much better at keeping to the speed limits I have seen a massive increase of flashing lights in my rear view mirror and even the occasional desperate overtake and cutting in that is very much like the punishment passes I get when on the bike - have any of you out there been impatient with car drivers in front of you keeping to the speed limits?

Not flashing lights but I get a lot of tailgating especially in 30 mph zone when I'm sticking to or below the limit,and if they persist after I've driven with my left foot resting on the brake pedal to show them the brake lights,I have been known if I've thought their driving particularly close,to get out of the car at a TL and have a polite word,which can involve the phrase "you're going to make a mess of your front bumper on my towbar if I have to brake sharply" :) .
W H Auden
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

reohn2 wrote:FWIW,I don't think there are enough repeater roundels especially in 30 limits,if the idea is to make drivers aware of the speed limit then IMO the driver should be left in no doubt about the limit on any particular road,especially as there are far more foreign drivers on UK roads than ever there were previously,and relying on lamposts to dictate speed limits is easily overlooked by drivers in certain circumstances.
When driving in France I'm never left in any doubt as to the speed limit on any given road.

Shouldn't be necessary, if the road has street lights then it's 30 UNLESS there are repeater signs saying something different. Anyone who doesn't know this definitely aught to be on a speed awareness course.

In the absence of repeater speed limit signs:-

Single carriageway road with street lights - 30mph
Single carriageway road without street lights - 60mph
Dual carriageway - 70mph

The above refer to cars and vans up to 2 tons, any other vehicle will have a lower limit (including towing vehicles) and anyone driving such vehicles should make it their business to find out what the limits are.

No excuse.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

tykeboy2003 wrote:
reohn2 wrote:FWIW,I don't think there are enough repeater roundels especially in 30 limits,if the idea is to make drivers aware of the speed limit then IMO the driver should be left in no doubt about the limit on any particular road,especially as there are far more foreign drivers on UK roads than ever there were previously,and relying on lamposts to dictate speed limits is easily overlooked by drivers in certain circumstances.

Shouldn't be necessary, if the road has street lights then it's 30 UNLESS there are repeater signs saying something different. Anyone who doesn't know this definitely aught to be on a speed awareness course.

In the absence of repeater speed limit signs:-

Single carriageway road with street lights - 30mph
Single carriageway road without street lights - 60mph
Dual carriageway - 70mph

The above refer to cars and vans up to 2 tons, any other vehicle will have a lower limit (including towing vehicles) and anyone driving such vehicles should make it their business to find out what the limits are.

No excuse.

I'm aware of the limits and regs,but there's nothing like reminding people of those limits,they may just look up from their mobile when passing one :wink:
W H Auden
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

reohn2 wrote:I'm aware of the limits and regs,but there's nothing like reminding people of those limits,they may just look up from their mobile when passing one :wink:

Don't get me started on ******** mobiles. I see drivers using them almost every day. If I can see them, why can't the Police?

Oh I forgot, they're never about when they're needed and only turn up when you cycle on a pavement....
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Barks wrote:I have been on a speed awareness course (35 in 30 mph limit) and they do cover the effect on stoping distances and decreased survival rates. We were also given a very useful piece of advice to help maintain speed discipline - 2nd gear out to 20 mph, 3rd gear up to 30 mph, 4th gear up to 40mph. Once you get up towards the speed limit in the relevent gear the engine noise is reminder that you are getting close to or exceeding the limit. We questioned the effect on pollution and the consensus was that the extra engine revs would be easily offset by a smoother driving style with less braking. It has worked for me although now that I am much better at keeping to the speed limits I have seen a massive increase of flashing lights in my rear view mirror and even the occasional desperate overtake and cutting in that is very much like the punishment passes I get when on the bike - have any of you out there been impatient with car drivers in front of you keeping to the speed limits?

Have the laws of physics been changed?

In second gear at 20 mph the engine is turning faster than in third and using more fuel. It is also louder, the residents will not thank you. Drive gently in third, avoid braking, just take your foot off the gas to slow down, concentrate on staying well below the maximum. Do NOT "stick to the limit"! :(
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies