Cyclist punched unconscious in road rage

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
BakfietsUK

Re: Cyclist punched unconscious in road rage

Post by BakfietsUK »

Keeping your mouth shut and your hands on the bars is a jolly good way to avoid having to deal with this sort of thing. There are however, some individuals that "pick fights" with cyclists with no rational motivation. It's interesting that this "person" was an ex actor and it seems the report viewed the offender's identity as a public interest story in it's self. How many cases like this get unreported because the offender had not been once known to the public.

Personally I think this excuse for a human being should be sentenced to 150 hours enforced cycling. Let's see what his psychological assessment concludes after that. Not that it would have been very auspicious reading in the first place.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

gaz wrote:
661-Pete wrote:Considering who the assailant was, ...

He's not the antichrist, he's a very naughty boy :wink: .

Brilliant! POTY I think - and we're only in January! :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

BakfietsUK wrote:Personally I think this excuse for a human being should be sentenced to 150 hours enforced cycling.
He's done some of that already. Not with a very propitious outcome though.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
PH

Post by PH »

Mark R wrote:The BBC report above misses some details (what a surprise?)

From the Guardian:
Stephens was also made to undergo rehabilitation, 150 hours of unpaid work and told to pay compensation of £1,000 to each victim and an extra £120 to Manley for his damaged helmet.

As a sentence actually not too bad....

Good, that seems like an appropriate sentence.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Mark R wrote:Cant understand why people convicted of road rage aren't compelled to have some sort of psychological assessment before being allowed to drive again.

This moron has responded to a rude hand gesture with extreme physical violence, who is to say next time someone challenges his ego he won't decide to use his vehicle as the weapon?
Yes I often wonder if the driving licence should have mental/psychological test/statement with regard to fitness to drive. After all there certain physical health standards that are needed or at least stated.
I sometimes ride near the area where the incident occurred and certainly near Edenbridge where he lives, but I didn't on that day. Still worrying to know this idiot could have been driving past me. It occurred on a Sunday so not a day when most people are stressed about going to work
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

BakfietsUK wrote:Keeping your mouth shut and your hands on the bars is a jolly good way to avoid having to deal with this sort of thing.
Maybe, but it's not easy if you are climbing a steep hill or cycling where it's not easy.
There are however, some individuals that "pick fights" with cyclists with no rational motivation.
And horn blaring and close passes are 2 examples. Perhaps Kent Police need to note what WMP are doing.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mark R wrote:Cant understand why people convicted of road rage aren't compelled to have some sort of psychological assessment before being allowed to drive again.

This moron has responded to a rude hand gesture with extreme physical violence, who is to say next time someone challenges his ego he won't decide to use his vehicle as the weapon?

I would agree. All he has received is a punishment. I addition to punishment he clearly has some degree of psychological/anger/temperament/whatever problems and I wonder if part of the court sentence should be that he receive assessment and treatment before being allowed to drive a motor vehicle again and such assessment to carried out by a court approved (qualified) person and he is not allowed back behind the wheel until that treatment has been completed and an ok re-assessment made - all paid for by the offender (i.e. done privately by court approved professionals).

Ian
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

From the Guardian:
Stephens was also made to undergo rehabilitation, 150 hours of unpaid work and told to pay compensation of £1,000 to each victim and an extra £120 to Manley for his damaged helmet.

That's more like it.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PH wrote:

From the Guardian:

Good, that seems like an appropriate sentence.

But where's the £2,000 fine? :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

gaz wrote:He's not the antichrist, he's a very naughty boy :wink: .

Like.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

irc wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
irc wrote:
What was the other guy doing when the driver was punching his mate 7 times?

er, lying unconscious, as it happens :roll:

Ok - reasonable excuse. Still not good losing a 2 on 1.

Two people who are not used to violence or fighting against one who apparently knows how to fight. They won't be expecting him to lash out but he does and puts one down quickly then it's one against one with one who knows how to fight and one who doesn't. The cyclists weren't to 'blame' for 'losing' and deserve our sympathy.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pete75 wrote:
irc wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:er, lying unconscious, as it happens :roll:

Two people who are not used to violence or fighting against one who apparently knows how to fight. They won't be expecting him to lash out but he does and puts one down quickly then it's one against one with one who knows how to fight and one who doesn't. The cyclists weren't to 'blame' for 'losing' and deserve our sympathy.

I agree,and it begs the question,what would have been the outcome if they'd retaliated,given him a good hiding and been stopped doing it by a passerby?
Methinks it would've been them in the dock with a much greater sentence because they out numbered the anticylist err,I mean the very naught boy.

I've once got to fisticuffs with a motorist who was trying to run me off the road and didn't take kindly to me slapping his Merc.He stopped and jumped out coming running at me with fists cleanced,so I hit with the bike then chased hi around said Merc with him shouting a claiming I'd assaulted him to the assembled motorists who'd stopped.TBH I was at the point of 'filling him in' as I had hold of him against a wall when an old chap interjected and bagged me to be reasonable and let it drop.
I obliged but Mr Merc kept at it so I thanked and apologised to the old chap and exited.
I phoned the police with the very distinct vanity plate,which the told me didn't exist :? .But phoned me back some days later asking if I'd been traumatised and if I needed councilling :? .
TBH I thought Mr Merc had reported me for assaulting him.
Mrs R2 said "what if he'd had a knife and was a total crackhead,how would I have gone on without you",she had a very valid point,it's simply not worth the potential.Defend yourself by all means but only if all else fails.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

...to say nothing of the restriction of having/holding 20-30lb of bike between their legs
pete75

Post by pete75 »

reohn2 wrote:I phoned the police with the very distinct vanity plate,which the told me didn't exist :?

Not TW4T? If not it should have been. :wink:
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:
pete75 wrote:
irc wrote:

I agree,and it begs the question,what would have been the outcome if they'd retaliated,given him a good hiding and been stopped doing it by a passerby?
Methinks it would've been them in the dock with a much greater sentence because they out numbered the anticylist err,I mean the very naught boy.

I've once got to fisticuffs with a motorist who was trying to run me off the road and didn't take kindly to me slapping his Merc.He stopped and jumped out coming running at me with fists cleanced,so I hit with the bike then chased hi around said Merc with him shouting a claiming I'd assaulted him to the assembled motorists who'd stopped.TBH I was at the point of 'filling him in' as I had hold of him against a wall when an old chap interjected and bagged me to be reasonable and let it drop.
I obliged but Mr Merc kept at it so I thanked and apologised to the old chap and exited.
I phoned the police with the very distinct vanity plate,which the told me didn't exist :? .But phoned me back some days later asking if I'd been traumatised and if I needed councilling :? .
TBH I thought Mr Merc had reported me for assaulting him.
Mrs R2 said "what if he'd had a knife and was a total crackhead,how would I have gone on without you",she had a very valid point,it's simply not worth the potential.Defend yourself by all means but only if all else fails.

Mrs R2 was right, the conflict could have developed and ended with you or him or both dead. Why should avoid physical violence at all costs and there should be much less of it in the media and in"entertaiment"
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies