Dang and blast...

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
[XAP]Bob

Dang and blast...

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Pulled the cleat plate clean off the pedal this morning.

Fortunately the second Traffix van had a set of grips so I could take it off my shoe! Still a pain to cycle without cleats...
Last edited by [XAP]Bob on 20 Jan 2017, 12:18pm, edited 1 time in total.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Dang and blast...

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
[XAP]Bob wrote:Pulled the cleat plate clean off the pedal this morning.

Fortunately the second Traffix van had a set of grips so I take it off my shoe! Still a pain to cycle without cleats...

That's the trouble if your are a bit to athletic :mrgreen:
Is there no other system of better gear available at all :?:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

They weren't expensive pedals, but the cleat plate was held on by two screws. One of which has snapped clean off (still in the pedal) and the head is nowhere to be found. The other just seems to have pulled straight out. Don't know if I've stripped all the threads of it somewhere or what...

What do you mean by better gear? I'm glad it didn't tear the cleat off my new shoes (which I've had happen before as well)

And people say you can't 'pull' on cleats...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
[XAP]Bob wrote:They weren't expensive pedals, but the cleat plate was held on by two screws. One of which has snapped clean off (still in the pedal) and the head is nowhere to be found. The other just seems to have pulled straight out. Don't know if I've stripped all the threads of it somewhere or what...

What do you mean by better gear? I'm glad it didn't tear the cleat off my new shoes (which I've had happen before as well)

And people say you can't 'pull' on cleats...

Better gear meaning is there any better more reliable gear / system?
Not your gear is cheap.
As this on recumbents is a weak point as others have said?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Not sure it's a particularly weak point - it was a cold morning, and I had tightened the plate back up a few week ago - Possibly that loosening was just a failure precursor.

SPDs shouldn't be more at risk of this than other cleat styles I don't imagine - although if I were to consider a switch I'd want the cleats to be SPD compatible...
There is also the issue that I want cleats to be 'tight' on the trike, and relatively loose on the bike.
Neither of my uprights are cleated, but they aren't used as heavily.
rjb

Post by rjb »

I've a few pairs of spd's cannondale coda ones which have also lost the countersunk screw heads off one of the retaining pair. When I noticed I strapped the plate back down using a thin wire strap wound round the plate and the tension adjusting screw. Been ok now for many years.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I shall get some more bolts - assuming of course that I can get the snapped off portion out of the pedal body.

In the meantime I have spare pedals I can put on - just not in the office...
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

maybe its the pedal pixie ( there is one for every cycle problem :lol: ) telling you to go for normal pedals
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Not on a bent trike - don't want my feet slipping off under any circumstances
nez

Post by nez »

If it's any consolation I've had it on a Speedplay frog. Then of course they don't supply new bolts and more common bolts have to be ground because the countersink is too big. Grr

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my iPad using hovercraft full of eels.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

The spd side of the pedals is toast...

One bolt sheared in place, that'll be a sod to get out. The other pulled all the threads out of the pedal, to resurrect will be to drill out and thread for larger bolts
SleepyJoe

Post by SleepyJoe »

The exactly the same thing happened to me on Thursday- shamano single sided spd pedal, flat on other side. One bolt missing with damaged thread and second bolt sheared off with stub left in pedal. I only noticed when I got off the bike and my right shoe was somewhat taller than the left! Time to look for new pedals.....
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Which Shimano model?
How old?

(Mine weren't Shimano - Looking online I can see ones that look pretty much identical at £20
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

This must be a new 'problem' - i've never heard of this before. I've had cleat bolts come loose and drop out but never the pedal plate - in fact i've never managed to get one off a pedal when i've wanted/needed to!

Sounds like a case of too much tinkering!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I've used that pedal for a while - since I got the Rapto...

I shifted it to the trike in December, and within a week or so the pedal plate had loosened...
I stopped fairly swiftly and saw what was wrong - so I grabbed the toolkit and tightened the screws.

Then a month later one snaps and one takes all the threads out of the pedal.
There is likely a correlation between the events - but I can't see what may have caused the initial loosening - it's not as if the actual pedal body is touched as part of removing and refitting cranks (I didn't even take the pedals out of the cranks!)