tips for cycling in London

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
evans4190

tips for cycling in London

Post by evans4190 »

Hi everyone just thought i'd introduce myself as I've just got into cycling and bought my first road bike.
It's a btwin triban 3 from decathlon. Was it a good move?

My first ride on it was great. I live in London and feels dangerous ( but very enjoyable )

Is there anybody else from london? (East) ??
If anybody could give me some good tips on cycling in London, that would be great :)

Thanks
gerrymcm

Re: tips for cycling in London

Post by gerrymcm »

Welcome and good luck.
I commute in from e11 to ec3m for most of the year only resorting to the tube for the real bad weather.
If you're interested in the fastest routes I'd say head for the main arterial roads as even though they're most busy they tend to be the safest and fastest.
I use the a12 as there are bus and bike lanes and 99% of drivers are headed in a straight line meaning cars etc aren't turning in front of you.

All the usual stuff, lots of lights, high vis gear, decent locks etc, probably goes without saying but worth emphasising the lights high and helmet. Last year when there was a spate of cyclist deaths there was increased presence at junctions of cops and then they seemed to be equally strict with cyclists and cars however now they've returned they 'seem' to be concentrating on cyclists as I've seen some terrible infringements by motorists overlooked but not apparently if you're on a bike.

Also worth noting if you go through the square mile, the City police are notorious for being really strict on cyclists compared to other forces so mind your PQs in that neck of the woods.

You're right, there is a definite buzz about cycling through London and I've also found it great for exploring things not too far of my commute, stuff I wouldn't have found before.
Good luck and be safe.

Gerry
PRL

Post by PRL »

Get a set of TfL cycle route guides for your local area.

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/forms/12419.aspx

You will certainly get away from exhaust fumes and probably feel safer.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Hi evans and welcome to the forum.
The bike you've chosen has had many good reviews and is widely regarded as a good bike for any use, be that sport, recreational, commuting and so on.
Regarding which accessories to buy and what you 'need', all you need is a bike and yourself. I doubt many members of the forum will argue against the use of lights, but the type of lights is often debated and you'll find threads on this. You'll also find threads debating the benefits of helmet use and hi-viz clothing with lots of facts to back up the claims but also lots of ill informed opinions. I'm guilty on both counts as I'm sure lots of others are :)
Make up your own mind after reading them is probably the best advice anyone can give you.
Enjoy it :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
mjr

Post by mjr »

I ride in London sometimes (in ordinary clothes, not as a village people extra) and the one tip I'd add is: watch taxis and minicabs. Taxis seem to have a sixth sense, so if one hangs back, don't overtake or undertake it, as it's probably seen something odd about to happen. This principle helped me avoid being collected when a mad driver reversed out of a roadside parking space facing the other way and Uturned across the road.

Minicabs are much less watchful and especially stay away from the ones with a big A on the windows.

That b twin bike seems to get mostly good reviews. I hope you enjoy it as long as you want.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

If it is a regular commute you will want a waterproof at some point, and mudguards will become highly desired at that point as well ;)

If you are commuting after dark (unlikely now, but will happen later in the year) then lights are mandatory - but there is time to make a selection later;)

Enjoy - it's not a race, remmeber that and you'll be more aware of what is going on...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

NEVER EVER EVER, go up the inside of a lorry at traffic lights / junctions, they have blind spots, cannot see you etc and may suddenly decide they are turning left. Learn to understand how drivers think... what their limitations are, that if they are turning left at a give way will often give a cursory glance down the road for something travelling at 30mph and not look for something smaller right in front of them at 12-15mph. Watch them and watch their eyes to see if they seen you.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Get & read a copy of Cyclecraft by John Franklin. Most important of the advice is to not ride in the gutter. Ride about 2ft out normally - the worn Tarmac from the cars nearside wheels is a good indicator of where - and approaching hazards such as road narrowing or major junctions take the middle of your lane to control the vehicles behind you. Plus the advice above on lorries (& busses & coaches) - don't cycle down the inside at junctions.

London may appear dangerous because vehicles can pass quite close and there is lots of traffic. But its not. Cyclist deaths, of which there are 10-15 a year, get a lot of publicity but should be set against a background of well over 200 million cycle journeys a year.

And last tip is enjoy the cycling and if a numpty driver does cut you up, let it go and continue enjoying the ride rather than getting your blood pressure up and fuming about it for the rest of the day.
StellaLdn.

Post by StellaLdn. »

Hi, Evans.

Welcome to the forum and cycling. It's wonderful, isn't it? I've cycled in London for the past six years and am feeling reasonably safe on the roads.
I second the advice of not undertaking lorries or buses at the traffic light. Unless it's red the traffic is stationary, and you know you'll make it to the front (so that the drivers can see you) safely before it turns green. Keep your distance to cars and vans--by that I mean don't ride too close behind them, as when they suddenly stop, you will bump into them.
Always expect someone else to make an error, not indicating and suddenly changing lanes or even turning, cutting you off at corners. Watch out for that and rather than relying on your 'right' give way--annoying, but it's safer for you.
If you're changing lanes or direction, always, ALWAYS look behind you. Indicate and wait until the driver behind you slows down. For many drivers indicating means they can speed past you anyway.

So my general advice is: ride defensively and always expect the unexpected. And most of all: Enjoy! If you're up for a 'quiet' Sunday ride in the city, send me a PM, I often cycle around Battersea Park on the CS8, which is a good stretch, then back on the other side. Not too much traffic on Sundays.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
-- Confucius

http://theviscountaffect.blogspot.co.uk/
evans4190

Post by evans4190 »

Wow thank you all for your great reply's! :) yes i am very much enjoying my cycling and legs are nice and stiff at the moment lol, just came back from a ride sundays are definatly a great day to start to get used to it even though i got soaked lol most drivers give you plenty of room but there are alot of buttock-orifices out there im afraid, at the moment im leisure cycling and once my fitness is at a good level im going to do the commute! :) i have just purchased a hi vis waterproof jacket from decathlon which was a great buy and i think next buy will defiantly have to be some waterproof overshoes or cycling shoes! Thanks for your replies again! :)
Si

Post by Si »

See if you can find a bikeability provider near you (there are a growing number of schemes that offer free training to adults - if you are lucky you might have one). Do a L2 and L3 course. No substitute for actually riding with someone, in real condition, and who knows what they are doing.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

StellaLdn. wrote:
I second the advice of not undertaking lorries or buses at the traffic light. Unless it's red the traffic is stationary, and you know you'll make it to the front (so that the drivers can see you) safely before it turns green.

If you're going to do that make sure you stop well in front of any lorries. There is a big blind spot in front of the cab so its quite possible to go past and stop in front all the time in the blind spot so now the driver doesn't know you're there and pulls away over the top of you. Happens all too often unfortunately.
jezer

Post by jezer »

Hi, welcome to the forum and cycling generally. I've never cycled in London, but if you venture outside the capitol you will enjoy great rides with local CTC groups or local clubs. Many new cyclists ride on roads they would have driven on as motorists, but the network of lanes available to us is pretty good :D
Power to the pedals
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Some great advice here.

I'd add just one thing: plan your route before you set off. Until you know London really well from the saddle, navigating by instinct is difficult - you'll tend to drift onto the major roads like Euston Road and Oxford Street, which is no fun at all. There are some lovely quiet streets in London and even the odd piece of decent infrastructure, but the signage is uniformly crap. In other words, you have to know where you're going. In time you'll get to know the way around, but at first, plan before you ride.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
mjr

Post by mjr »

Oxford street isnt bad but it is slow among the buses. I keep ending up at the Mount Pleasant sorting office whenever I try to head west through Islington so it is better to plan a route but not essential.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.