Vote UKIP...

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Dynamite_funk
Posts: 512
Joined: 2 Nov 2011, 9:10am

Vote UKIP...

Postby Dynamite_funk » 22 May 2014, 3:29pm

...I dare you!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/r ... party.html

Sorry if this has been posted already :roll:

AlaninWales
Posts: 1103
Joined: 26 Oct 2012, 1:47pm

Re: Vote UKIP...

Postby AlaninWales » 22 May 2014, 3:38pm

Or Conservative
"#ealing Only 11% of @Conservatives supporting #space4cycling & just 10% of @EalingLD -must be more of you? http://www.lcc.org.uk/candidates @EalingCC" and then they have Pickles.

Or LibDem
"The Lib Dems, for instance, have made a formal commitment to a pro-cycling policy that includes plans to create a cycling budget of at least £10 per person per year and to oblige local authorities to provide for cyclists in the design of all new roads. But the results on the ground ("No @EnfieldLibDems candidates supporting #space4cycling in #Enfield. Can this be true?") can be quite revealing."

Or Labour
" Labour too has set out an eight-point "manifesto for cycling", which includes a commitment to long-term funding of the infrastructure needed for dedicated separate safe cycling routes. Again, at a local level it appears the political will is sometimes lacking. " Indeed, they had rather a long time in government ISTR, during which investment in cycling facilities ?improved dramatically? (or not).

Just to be balanced like ... :lol:

Psamathe
Posts: 4841
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: Vote UKIP...

Postby Psamathe » 22 May 2014, 4:25pm

AlaninWales wrote:Or LibDem
"The Lib Dems, for instance, have made a formal commitment to a pro-cycling policy that includes plans to create a cycling budget of at least £10 per person per year and to oblige local authorities to provide for cyclists in the design of all new roads. But the results on the ground ("No @EnfieldLibDems candidates supporting #space4cycling in #Enfield. Can this be true?") can be quite revealing."

Would that be the same Lib Dem party where every candidate pledged in writing to vote against any increase in student tuition fees ? And are there any reasons they should be more trustworthy now ?

Ian

Dynamite_funk
Posts: 512
Joined: 2 Nov 2011, 9:10am

Re: Vote UKIP...

Postby Dynamite_funk » 22 May 2014, 5:24pm

This is why I'm stuck on who to vote for!!

User avatar
mill4six
Posts: 911
Joined: 10 Feb 2009, 7:42pm

Re: Vote UKIP...

Postby mill4six » 22 May 2014, 7:59pm

Round here the Tories always win. To keep UKIP out I'd have to (tactically) vote Tory. I can't do that so I'll stay at home. Democracy is rubbish anyway if you ask me.

Psamathe
Posts: 4841
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: Vote UKIP...

Postby Psamathe » 22 May 2014, 8:01pm

mill4six wrote:Round here the Tories always win. To keep UKIP out I'd have to (tactically) vote Tory. I can't do that so I'll stay at home. Democracy is rubbish anyway if you ask me.

Thought I avoid the rush and went to my polling station in the afternoon. And I was the 3rd person they had seen all day !!

Ian

Postboxer
Posts: 1001
Joined: 24 Jul 2013, 5:19pm

Re: Vote UKIP...

Postby Postboxer » 22 May 2014, 8:07pm

Isn't the Euro election more proportional? So it doesn't only matter who wins?

thirdcrank
Posts: 21704
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm
Location: Gildersome, Sth Leeds

Re: Vote UKIP...

Postby thirdcrank » 22 May 2014, 8:12pm

Psamathe wrote:[... Would that be the same Lib Dem party where every candidate pledged in writing to vote against any increase in student tuition fees ? And are there any reasons they should be more trustworthy now ? ...


Before the crash of my long-serving netbook (RIP) I had a pic on it of Clegg holding up a poster with that pledge. Close inspection showed that his fingers were crossed. Only a still photo but it did look as though his lips were moving when it was taken.
Gang warily.

Psamathe
Posts: 4841
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: Vote UKIP...

Postby Psamathe » 22 May 2014, 8:27pm

thirdcrank wrote:
Psamathe wrote:[... Would that be the same Lib Dem party where every candidate pledged in writing to vote against any increase in student tuition fees ? And are there any reasons they should be more trustworthy now ? ...


Before the crash of my long-serving netbook (RIP) I had a pic on it of Clegg holding up a poster with that pledge. Close inspection showed that his fingers were crossed. Only a still photo but it did look as though his lips were moving when it was taken.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2010/11/12/1289592932983/Nick-Clegg-holds-up-the-p-006.jpg

And whilst I'm sure everybody has seen it already, always worth watching again ("The Apology" featuring Nick Clegg) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUDjRZ30SNo

Appart from the devastating impact on the education and finances of the nation's children, the thing that really annoys me is that they pledged to vote against any fee increase. The did not pledge that there would be no increases, just that they would vote against them. Yet Clegg starts going on about being unable to implement a promise - the promise was to vote against!

Ian

User avatar
661-Pete
Posts: 4881
Joined: 22 Nov 2012, 8:45pm

Re: Vote UKIP...

Postby 661-Pete » 22 May 2014, 9:44pm

Psamathe wrote:Thought I avoid the rush and went to my polling station in the afternoon. And I was the 3rd person they had seen all day !!

We went to our polling station in the morning, about 10am. There being nowhere to lock the bikes (typical!) Mrs P waited outside to keep an eye on the bikes while I went in to vote, then I did the same while she voted. It was actually fairly busy - surprise surprise! The polling station was set in a small church hall, the car park outside was full of drivers jostling for a space, boxing each other in, etc. etc. In our area, no-one lives more than a mile from the polling station, but - there you are, a mile's a mile and it's far too far to walk or even cycle :twisted: . I suppose the motorists were all out to vote for the kippers, after all they're on 'their' side. :(

Sometimes I despair.
Pete
Warning: may contain horsemeat

Choose a password you can remember, such as qKe3?:zAbn2,7r>oOL9

User avatar
661-Pete
Posts: 4881
Joined: 22 Nov 2012, 8:45pm

Re: Vote UKIP...

Postby 661-Pete » 22 May 2014, 9:49pm

Another thing - at the polling station we chanced to meet our former county and town councillor, going in to vote - we know him, he's always been very supportive of cycling measures, and when in office chaired an Environmental Forum which we used to attend. Since unseated, he defected from the Libdems to Labour. I didn't have the heart to tell him, I wasn't planning to vote Labour either....
Pete
Warning: may contain horsemeat

Choose a password you can remember, such as qKe3?:zAbn2,7r>oOL9

User avatar
[XAP]Bob
Posts: 13729
Joined: 26 Sep 2008, 4:12pm

Re: Vote UKIP...

Postby [XAP]Bob » 22 May 2014, 10:14pm

Just take the bikes in...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way.
No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
A good pun is it's own reword

There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

User avatar
ArMoRothair
Posts: 349
Joined: 20 Jun 2013, 10:55am
Location: Londinium

Re: Vote UKIP...

Postby ArMoRothair » 23 May 2014, 9:22pm

[XAP]Bob wrote:Just take the bikes in...


My Brommie fitted easily under the poll booth table :)

User avatar
661-Pete
Posts: 4881
Joined: 22 Nov 2012, 8:45pm

Re: Vote UKIP...

Postby 661-Pete » 24 May 2014, 12:14am

Well, if the kippers ever gain power, they'd make it impossible to cycle anywhere, let alone the polling station, so the question doesn't arise. :evil:
We'd have to leave the country...
Pete
Warning: may contain horsemeat

Choose a password you can remember, such as qKe3?:zAbn2,7r>oOL9

WMarkLancs
Posts: 42
Joined: 23 Feb 2010, 7:56pm

Re: Vote UKIP...

Postby WMarkLancs » 24 May 2014, 1:11am

Does anyone find it ironic that their biggest push is in the EU elections?


Return to “On the road”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 661-Pete and 2 guests