Butser Hill - proposed cyclepath for the missing link

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Graham

Re: Butser Hill - proposed cyclepath for the missing link

Post by Graham »

Sorry about the confusion. The QECP staff, South Downs Staff, Rights of Way staff - who all work out of QECP - are all wonderful and sympathetic !
It is some of the general public who can show hostility to spending on cycling.

The big problem with opening the new track on a temporary basis is not the southbound user - where the situation is certainly no worse than cycling alongside the A3 southbound.

Anyone heading northbound would have to walk along the margin of the A3 ( facing the traffic, on the southbound side ) until they could join the end of the new track. This is the stuff of Highwaymens' nightmares.
I suspect it won't be very long before that area becomes a construction site again when access will be heavily controlled/prohibited..
I think it was better to keep it closed.
EDIT :
Another view . . . . .
If any public body were to provide a temporary, missing-link facility for ( northbound ) cyclists to use the existing, incomplete route, then anyone KSI'd in that section might create circumstances for a "negligence claim" against the public body.
By contrast, anyone KSI'd cycling northbound on the A3 itself would have no chance of claiming negligence against a public body.
It would be described as misadventure. The victim would be blamed for choosing to ride on the A3.
Nobody would be prosecuted - even if strong evidence of punishment pass, careless or dangerous driving.
The usual outrageous excuses might be employed : cyclist swerved in front of vehicle : sun blinded the driver : spider jumped off the sunshield and distracted the driver . . . .
mjr

Post by mjr »

Graham wrote:Sorry about the confusion. The QECP staff, South Downs Staff, Rights of Way staff - who all work out of QECP - are all wonderful and sympathetic !
It is the general public who can show hostility to spending on cycling.

Some can but it's not overwhelming in surveys like "Bike Life" (although those are mostly big city respondants, I think). Could someone press the sympathetic staff to help explain/educate the local objectors - I'm sure we can all think of how more modal shift to cycling and even simply more cycling visitors to a location can bring benefits for non-cyclists. Could someone draft briefing notes and maybe even a poster that others could republish if they agree with it?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Graham

Post by Graham »

A few new photos added, now that Section 2 appears to have been completed.
Section 2 runs between the Buriton sliproad roundabout up to the high point of the ancient A3.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/134272349 ... 2060420605

They have fixed the major surface defects in the ancient A3, but I have to say that the old ( existing) surface is pretty poor quality :-
Rough and high resistance for climbing.
Unpleasantly bumpy on the way down.

From the north the route is open all the way up to the high-point on the ancient A3.
At the top there is a token effort to fence-off the remainder. This is very easily bypassed a permits the opportunity to progress to the bottom of the forest ( where there is a much more rigorous effort to block further access down to the layby ).

Providing the forest track is dry it is possible to divert up the track and climb up over to the Queen Elizabeth Country Park.
I've done it on a touring bike - a lot of extra climbing, but certainly possible.
clandyfield

Post by clandyfield »

I see that the promised update date appears to have been missed.
Quote "With regards to Section 5 of the scheme, engineers are working hard to identify an achievable and affordable engineering solution to complete this route and are investigating a number of alternative construction methods.

A further update will be provided on 27th April 2016."

I'm at a bit of a loss to understand why (suddenly) it had become so difficult to build a retaining wall. Anyone got any further details on this? I wonder if it is something to do with the proximity of the A3 bridge sides.

My prediction of September is looking rather optimistic (sigh).
Graham

Post by Graham »

Graham's alternative solution is to hang a new, lightweight cycle bridge off the edge of the existing bridge and to bring the route down in a gentler descent alongside the A3.

When they upgrade the A3 to a motorway, they can then plan a decent cyclepath on the other side of the the A3/motorway as part of the necessary massive earthworks.

I'll be sending them the invoice for that idea soon. :wink:
clandyfield

Post by clandyfield »

I am hearing that the quote: "achievable and affordable engineering solution" mentioned on the HCC webpage is to be a wooden structure.
So maybe, Graham, your idea was not so far fetched.

As Section 5 is the key to the viability/use of the whole path from QECP to Petersfield, I find it really disheartening that, while it is possible to build long lasting and usable metal structures to get cyclists/pedestrians over railways, a wooden structure is deemed an acceptable solution to overcome a similar rise/drop for such a key area of the path.

Comments/any more information anyone?
gaz

Post by gaz »

High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
clandyfield

Post by clandyfield »

gaz wrote:It is possible to build long lasting and usable wooden structures

Can't dispute that. However, when you add the word "affordable", one might think of something a little less desirable than your example.

Since a solution to Section 5 wasn't, it appears, determined at the time the additional funds were requested and allocated, then I wonder how much is actually available now for the <whatever> engineering solution. Will the steel girders that were on site will still figure in the solution?

Ah well, time will tell.
_aD

Post by _aD »

gaz wrote:It is possible to build long lasting and usable wooden structures: https://bicycledutch.wordpress.com/2016 ... bbenvorst/ https://bicycledutch.wordpress.com/2015 ... arderwijk/

Really interesting article, thanks!
"The bridge is also a bit on the narrow side by today’s standards" God bless you, Dutch.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Update reported as 11 May 2016

The crucial ramp down into the Country Park . . . .

With regards to Section 5 of the scheme, engineers have identified an engineering solution to complete the route and are currently liaising with contractors and suppliers to agree a programme of works.

A further update will be provided on 23rd May 2016.

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/transport-sche ... scheme.htm
clandyfield

Post by clandyfield »

Latest update reported on the 24th May reads:
"As soon as the start date for these works are known this web page will be updated"

So that's it kicked into the long grass for the forseeable I guess. Actually making me feel rather annoyed!
Graham

Post by Graham »

. . . . . At least that will give them some time to fix to weeds that are punching through the new tarmac :-
- between the railway bridge and the roundabout [ tarmac laid a few months ago ]
- just south of the roundabout [ tarmac laid a few weeks ago ]

I'm expecting the whole route to be overgrown before the final section is completed. :wink:
clandyfield

Post by clandyfield »

Graham wrote:I'm expecting the whole route to be overgrown before the final section is completed. :wink:

I agree.
What do you think of the possibility that a further request for additional funding will have to be made once the "programme of works" is determined?

This is not going to end well.........
Graham

Post by Graham »

clandyfield wrote:What do you think of the possibility that a further request for additional funding will have to be made once the "programme of works" is determined?

I would not be surprised, but have no information so will not speculate.
The only anecdotal gossip is that the engineers were trying to agree whether the Ramp down into QECP should be an uninterrupted curve or have zigzags.
!! Zigzags !! OMG :shock: madness . . .

This ongoing saga did remind me of the overall provision for cycles along the A3 route, which can only really be described as an adhoc shambles of poor design and poor-quality surfaces.

Yesterday, I found a section that I had never know existed before - alongside the A3 (west side) between West Liss & Ham Barn roundabout.
http://binged.it/1WhEjdC

But don't get too excited : it was rubbish. An old tarmac footpath designated as a cyclepath. Very poor surface quality and I won't bother using it again despite providing a means to avoid crossing the A3 using the Ham Barn roundabout itself.
_aD

Post by _aD »

Graham wrote:Yesterday, I found a section that I had never know existed before - alongside the A3 (west side) between West Liss & Ham Barn

I went for a ride on this section last week and it looks like they have at least addressed some of the drainage and surface quality problems on the track. I still find it a rather "hell for leather" section of cycle track though.