Barbed Wire Trap set on trail in Kent

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
Tangled Metal

Re: Barbed Wire Trap set on trail in Kent

Post by Tangled Metal »

Interesting to note that among national and international bodies one researcher into the matter found 109 different definitions for terrorism. Another researcher found over 100. The Terrorism act has a subsection that states terrorism does not have to be political to still be legally terrorism. It can be as simple as performing or threatening acts of violence with the purpose of intimidation. Or words to that effect. Either way some experts also call some things terrorism that to me would just be highly antisocial behaviour. In the case of the barbed wire across a trail that is potentially very serious. It can cause great harm to someone but it also creates a doubt that the trails there are safe. Perhaps that instils terror in some which is why I tend to see the potential to call it terrorism. The only reason I don't commit to it is because it is such an emotive word. You can probably describe the act as something else and it won't seem as serious or as bad as if it is labelled terrorism. Perhaps that is a positive or a negative in using the word. Positive if it makes people realise this incident is serious, negative if it just labels cyclists, as an amorphous whole, as timewasters or as a group just out to cause trouble.

BTW the definition of terrorism is something experts don't agree on, you'll get as many definitions as experts I think.
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

In general, I'm more than happy to take a "sensible" view of word usage, rather than being swayed by up-to-the-minute abuses of our language.

However, in this case, it seems to me that a fundamental part of terrorism is the intention to cause fear in a population. It's not clear that an isolated instance of stringing barbed wire across a trail had that intention - its purpose could equally be to try to kill/maim an individual, either in a targeted way or for the twisted gratification of the perpetrator. In itself it's no more terrorism than a mugging; while it does cause increased levels of fear in the wider population, there's no evidence of that being a motivation for the act.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

rfryer wrote:.....In itself it's no more terrorism than a mugging;

Mugging is stealing with violence or the potential for violence,which can cause terror in a populous if it's happening on a regular basis in a particular area.
As a one off incident it's not generally seen by the populous as a threat/fear/terror,because it's not the primary objective,where say rape is.

.. while it does cause increased levels of fear in the wider population, there's no evidence of that being a motivation for the act.

But it doesn't have to be the motivation,it's the effect that matters.If a populous in this case cyclists,is frightened/terrorised by the act of stretching barbed wire across a path then it's an act of terrorism against that element.It may have only happened once but that can be enough to terrorise.
There's also the effect of memory if it's done once and never again the effect dwindles with memory,but if it's done on a regular basis the effect is heightened and a chance that cyclists will stop riding on that path,thereby the people setting the trap have terrorised cyclists into doing what was the their objective.

TBH I see your point but it's not the whole potential story,the problem is terrorism is a word that's been reserved to describe people who set bombs or shoot or poison people indiscriminately,but is some who physically abuses their wife or husband or partner not terrorising them?
And therefore a terrorist?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

That makes them a terroriser, not a terrorist.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bicycler wrote:That makes them a terroriser, not a terrorist.

Both terrorise or do they not?

Hairs are being split IMHO.
W H Auden
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Dennis the Menace and domestic pets are frequently said to terrorise, but are never said to be terrorists. I think it's better if we stick to the established usage of very emotive terms. It is because of their established usage that they are so emotive.

I understand what you are saying that this is a serious incident but without any apparent terrorist motive I don't see it as an act of terrorism.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bicycler wrote:I understand what you are saying that this is a serious incident but without any apparent terrorist motive I don't see it as an act of terrorism.

I fully understand the meaning of the political term.
But by restricting it's use means people who are truly terrorised by others,albeit on a small numerical scale with less spectacular impact trivialises it's effect by reserving it only for certain large scale attacks.
Those being terrorised are no less frightened,and in the case of bicycle v motor vehicle sometimes on a daily basis.
YVMV
W H Auden
AJ101

Post by AJ101 »

Be careful if you ride on the Brynmenyn cycle track in Wales, the wire is happening again.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sout ... s-36196234
AJ101

Post by AJ101 »

happening in Central London now with rope in Hyde Park
Crazy
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-36547576
AJ101

Post by AJ101 »

There's nutters doing this up north as well unfortunately. Just seen this in the MEN.
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... r-11616764
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

does it really matter whether its terrorism or not?.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

durhambiker wrote:does it really matter whether its terrorism or not?.

Not really,but if there's a possibility every time I go for a ride I may be decapitated(I'm not claiming that's the case ) it terrorises me.
The design of stretching wires across cycling trails is to deter cycling.
W H Auden