Red routes, advice

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
A1anP

Red routes, advice

Post by A1anP »

Hi there,

My brother in law has got a plan for us to ride the red route down from the gondolas at the Nevis Range near Fort William later this month. The only problem is that he has never done any mountain biking before so I'm not too sure that it's a wise idea. Maybe I'm being over cautious? Not sure he would be happy to ride the green or blue trails instead, though I certainly would be, as I find blue runs scary enough!

The other thing I'm not sure about is that you are required to wear helmet, gloves and "protective clothing" and sign a disclaimer before you board the gondola. He will be hiring on-site so no problem there, while I can provide a bike, helmet and gloves for myself. But I'm not sure what extra stuff I would need. Any ideas?

Cheers,
Alan
Going upwards at 45 degrees...
Ant

Re: Red routes, advice

Post by Ant »

Never been but check out this footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_mSMvZQeb4

It looks ace, but it is clearly a pretty tough route and for someone new probably not recommended. Blues are a lot more fun for non-experts.

Also helmet would be a good idea! I'm not a habitual helmet wearer but on a route like this? Always. And as I am now getting on a bit I personally would add elbow protection at the very least...
A1anP

Re: Red routes, advice

Post by A1anP »

Thanks Ant, that video looks pretty full on, though maybe you don't need to go quite as fast! I should show my brother in law that video and let's see if he is still so keen :shock: The blue run sounds like a better starting point.
Going upwards at 45 degrees...