Transport from London to Penzance

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Barrys Beach

Transport from London to Penzance

Post by Barrys Beach »

Hi three of us heading from Australia in June to complete LEJOG. We had thought of hiring a van to get bikes and kit to Penzance but looks to expensive. Do most take the train? Paddington to London?
Any thoughts would be most appreciated. Cheers
Last edited by Barrys Beach on 19 Jan 2023, 11:10am, edited 1 time in total.
puffin

Re: Transport from London to Penzance

Post by puffin »

I've done it a few times and always used the train from Paddington, booking bike space. I think 3 bikes is well possible. Please don't go on 4th June :)

Failing that, I've sometimes used the sleeper service (the Cornish Riviera) from Paddington..its awesome. You get into PNZ stupidly early, but not quite as refreshed as you might imagine as sleeping on a sleeper train isn't perfect.

How long are you taking to do it and what route have you gone for? I'm doing 15 days, standard kind of route, except using the Wye Valley in Herefordshire and the Cairngorns rather than the Great Glen.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I'm surprised that a van isn't competitive on price. You might get three people and three bikes, probably with the front wheels removed, in an MPV.

Where are you starting from with the bikes?

We've used the sleeper service many times for walking the coastal path. Details including taking bikes are at:
https://www.gwr.com/travelling-with-us/ ... ra-sleeper
https://www.seat61.com/sleeper-to-cornwall.htm

Jonathan
Barrys Beach

Post by Barrys Beach »

Many thanks this helpful. I think we will try and book the train. Travelling end of June to Penzance and will follow The coast to Lands End then take the Sustrans Route pretty much up through the Wye valley. Plan to visit friends in Ledbury and then spend a few days in and around Hereford going out as far as Longtown before heading to Chester then getting back on track. Plan to take our time and do this over 6 weeks
Chrisgru

Post by Chrisgru »

Easy to book London to Penzance with bike, circa £60, 10am train reaches Penzance at 3pm, plenty of time to cycle to Lands End, take a photo and head back to Penzance for the night. 16 miles each way.

The big planning problem is getting to London Paddington avoiding PEAK TRAVEL TIMES when Train Companies will not permit anything other than Folding Bikes !!!

I'd really like Cycling UK to campaign for more Bike reservation places during Peak Travel times, particularly into Big cities like London. Currently, cyclists are actively discouraged. I thought the idea was full integration?

What's your view then Cycling UK ? and will you consider Lobbying train companies and government policy? .., Please !!!
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

On GWR look for “3 together” tickets. They are better value if still available. Try to do the train journey in the light. The section west of Exeter is pretty special.

Assuming you’re staying in central London in advance then you can cycle to Paddington and if you’re coming from Heathrow the bikes can go on the Heathrow express (other options are available).

https://www.gwr.com/your-tickets/ways-t ... /groupsave
Sparky56

Post by Sparky56 »

If you’re coming from LHR with bikes in boxes would be a lot less train hassle to keep them boxed until Penzance.

Then they can go on the train as regular luggage, so you’re not then limited to having to book a bike space…

& you can get a train from Reading (there’s a rail-air bus LHR-Reading, so avoid London altogether.

If you need any last-minute repairs then i highly recommend the following (we had two ‘incidents’ on our recent trip requiring a bike shop) - these are both excellent -

Stanford cycle works
Mounts Bay cycle service

There’s a Premier Inn right next to Penzance station - and they allow bikes in rooms…..