Instructors pay, have you given up and left?

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
Philip Benstead

Instructors pay, have you given up and left?

Post by Philip Benstead »

When I started being a cycling instructor in 1998 I was paid £10 per after 2 years it went up to £12per hour.

In 2004 I was on £18 per hour, in 2023 I am still on £18per hour.

I am lucky, I have state pension

Question

Do you think we need a pay rise?

Do you think cycle instruction is a job for older people who have a other income or retired?

Would you go on strike for more money?

BTW I live and work in London.
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
pedals2slowly

Re: Instructors pay, have you given up and left?

Post by pedals2slowly »

You are very very lucky to get £18 per hour.
Worcestershire County Council pay about £11, no travel time payment just mileage.
I gave up because it interfered with retired life AND because Bikeability didn't seem to increase the number of children cycling.
Last edited by pedals2slowly on 13 Feb 2023, 3:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Last edited by Nearholmer on 12 Feb 2023, 10:52pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

I just had a google at the rates being paid by various councils outside London: £10 to £15/hr ….. which seems insultingly low for the responsibility involved to me, and £18/hr isn’t much better.
Do you think cycle instruction is a job for older people who have a other income or retired?
Ideally, it should be a job that a wide age range of people can take on, parents who want a job that matches school hours for instance, and ideally the instructors should be men and women of a fair age range …… kids respond differently to different people, and some might do better with a young woman than with an older man for instance.

But, leaving aside ideals, at those rates of pay, and bearing in mind that it is usually a very part-time role, the answer to your question must be: yes, because nobody else could afford to do it!
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Philip Benstead wrote: 12 Feb 2023, 8:57am When I started being a cycling instructor in 1998 I was paid £10 per after 2 years it went up to £12per hour.

In 2004 I was on £18 per hour, in 2023 I am still on £18per hour.

I am lucky, I have state pension

Question

Do you think we need a pay rise?
It should be a viable profession with either a decent salary for a skilled worker or an hourly rate where enough hours are available to make a decent salary.
Philip Benstead wrote: 12 Feb 2023, 8:57am Do you think cycle instruction is a job for older people who have a other income or retired?
This is often the case I see in Scotland, and while there's nothing wrong with that (and to be honest I'm rather hoping it'll be a good option for me in a few years when I leave the NHS) it shouldn't need to be the norm. Folk I see doing it as a full time job tend to be fairly heavily involved across a number of cycling fronts, e.g. sport coaching, providing courses for public bodies etc.

When I've delivered at schools I've given my time for free, but delivering trainer-training for LAs there is a sensible hourly rate round here these days, last one I did (2018?) was £27/hr for an all-day course.
Philip Benstead wrote: 12 Feb 2023, 8:57am Would you go on strike for more money?
If it were my day-job and the rates were what you're getting, for presumably less hours than usually fit in a working day, yes.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

I am disappointed by the low number of replys. .

Does this mean
very few cycle instructors are me.bers of this forum
or they are satisfied with their pay.
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

Philip Benstead wrote: 20 Feb 2023, 8:24am I am disappointed by the low number of replys. .

Does this mean
I don't know, but I can think of two things you could try:
1. Acknowledge the responses that people have taken the trouble to give. That might generate more discussion/replies..
2. If you just want a high number of responses, rather than debate, consider starting a poll instead.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Philip Benstead wrote: 20 Feb 2023, 8:24am I am disappointed by the low number of replys. .

Does this mean
Look at the traffic (typically tumbleweed if we're honest) on this sub-board and I'd say the first option is highly likely.

Not that I can offer better suggestions. I'm somewhat out of the loop since I've been back at my day-job full time so quite possible there's something I ought to know about but don't, but I don't know of a particular NS teaching forum where there's a lot of traffic. "Cycling Twitter" may be a better bet? e.g. https://twitter.com/suamirocha/status/1 ... 41570?s=20

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

I charge 200 a student for the basic patrol officer course, and prices go upwards from there. Sounds good, but it's not all gravy - 8 students is my max, and from that £1600 I have to pay a similarly qualified rider to act as safety officer (I have a good friend faitly local and we cover for each other), potentially pay for a venue if they're coming to me, and out of anything left I have to pay fuel, my own insurance, annual MIAS and IPMBA membership, and ongoing training and assessment for myself.

Of that nominal £1600 I might have half left over for me, which is not a lot for 2 days work. And finally the taxman has a share (my daughter is an accountant and covers that said for me). I doubt I could do it if it were my only source of income, but fortunately I am retired and have 2 pensions and a third income stream, so I treat it more as a self finacing hobby,
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.