I gotta new bike I gotta new bike

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
slowster

Re: I gotta new bike I gotta new bike

Post by slowster »

puffin wrote: 2 May 2023, 3:12pm Anyone recognise this?
It looks like a SKS U Stay Mounting Clip, part of which has broken off (or been trimmed off). They are designed only to be used with SKS Edge type mudguards and their U Stays, with the U Stay mounted inside the mudguard as per the image below. Whoever fitted the mudguards on your bike reversed the clip to fit the stay on the outside of the mudguard, possibly because the bend in the stay was not a good fit inside the curved profile of the mudguard.

You can buy replacement clips from SJS, although personally I would prefer a draw bolt for external stay mounting.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/mudguards/s ... ting-clip/

puffin

Post by puffin »

This is very helpful, huge thanks for taking the trouble.
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

The clip shown in the link is different, as it has a double kink to fit inside the mudguard, but puffin’s has a smooth straight bit to go outside. The bike is not new is it, looking at the rust on the stay where it’s been in the clip? Looks like the hole has been a bit butchered as well. May rob one of you spare bikes of a better pair.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

pwa wrote: 26 Apr 2023, 5:07pm Time for a de-clutter? Nobody needs more than two tourers. One in use, the other as spare.
Hmmm.

You’d be horrified by my stable as I love tourers and have lots of them!

I must sell the Koga and may get rid of the Litespeed Blue Ridge.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.