Voie Verte 5

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
davejdee

Voie Verte 5

Post by davejdee »

Hi,
Checking if anyone has recent experience of Voie Verte 5 from Roscoff to Brest.Interested in signage en route , terrain and any campsite reccomendations.We plan to use touring bikes with own camping gear.
Thanks,
Dave.
Rob D

Re: Voie Verte 5

Post by Rob D »

I hope not too late?
I expect you've seen this:
https://www.freewheelingfrance.com/wher ... -ways.html
We've cycle that route several times but weren't especially aware of the Voie Verte. You'll see that '5' isn't really a geeen way.
Are you hoping to wildcamp? How long have you got?
There's a nice campsite at Le Conquet, near a fab beach, north of the town - which is one of our favourite places.
We take the little passenger ferry from Brest to Le Fret on the Crozon Peninsula. Lovely! But it stops at the end of September.
Our return to Roscoff usually is along the R Blavet from Hennebont then the Nantes Brest Canal. Lots of opportunities for camping there, but bear in mind wildcamping is generally illegal in France. Be discreet!
In Gouarec, there's a wonderful campsite run by English Kate and Geoff, who run a cycle touring business too. Well worth visiting.
There are voie vertes running back to Morlaix, on old railway routes. But we find them tedious after a while, very limited views. And awful in the wet as the sandy surface sticks to everything, gumming up the works.
Rob D

Post by Rob D »

Happy to help further, but don't really know about signage, I'm afraid.
davejdee

Post by davejdee »

Thanks for your help on this one!
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I did roscoff Morlaix Carhaix recently- I was coming from the east not from Brest but I presume that it’s part of your loop either on the way in or out. There was lots of camping along the canal and I think some on the voie verte between Carhaix and Morlaix but I admit it wasn’t my main focus- I stayed at rostronen one night and Morlaix for my final night before the ferry. Not much camping in a Morlaix I understand. The Swiss guys I met in Morlaix were having difficulty finding camping that was open along the coast in early June.

I enjoyed the Carhaix Morlaix voie verte a lot- it was very quiet, not one of the very popular family routes and a change after the canal (which is also largely unsealed surfaces). I’m geared up for unsealed surfaces and it was sheltered on a windy day and dealt with the up and over from central Brittany to the coast well.

Extra photo for dusty unsealed surfaces- this was along the Nantes Brest canal. My landlady insisted I hose the bike off that evening and I think she wanted to hose me down too but I got a shower instead. The bike had a major clean at the local bike shop wash when I got back home.
Attachments
IMG_7429.jpeg
IMG_7509.jpeg
IMG_7521.jpeg
IMG_7527.jpeg