RANS Stratus XP vs Nazca Paseo vs Lightning P-38

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
UpWrong

Re: RANS Stratus XP vs Nazca Paseo vs Lightning P-38

Post by UpWrong »

I rode a hilly (for me) 50 miles on the P-38 yesterday. There were repeated climbs in the 6-8% range. I used the 17" bottom gear a lot. Hard to imagine doing that on the Paseo and the XP.

I still found the hip angle to feel too closed and I'm not a fan of sling mesh seats, I prefer seats with a firm base.

I had an embarassing topple over into a road I was crossing. The central reservation between lanes was raised and I stalled the bike when starting a left turn as I reached the reservation. I put my left leg down quickly but it was too far forward and I couldn't keep the bike upright so I toppled over into the carriageway. I have a grazed left elbow and a chain ring injury to my right ankle as a result.
UpWrong

One mile TT segment

Post by UpWrong »

I've just noticed there's a one mile TT segment on my usual route. Average slope is -2.5%. It starts of around -4% then after 0.4 miles it flattens to -1%. I traverse it East to West so the wind direction and speed affects my times.

Anyway, last ride on my RANS averaged 23.5mph with a 4 mph SSE wind, last ride on the P-38 average 22.4 mph with a 12 mph SW wind. The gearing on the two is comparable, whereas the gearing on the Paseo is now much lower. Looking back over Strava records, my best is 23.9 mph on the Paseo when it had higher gearing.

Now I know where the segment starts and stops I can pay attention to it.

On another route there's a 1.4 mile segment with a -0.9% drop which is North to South run. My fastest time on that is 20.2 mph on the P-38, but there was a 12mph NE wind. Again, now I know where it starts and ends I can target it.