La Vuelta 2023 tv coverage?

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Cowsham

Re: La Vuelta 2023 tv coverage?

Post by Cowsham »

hodge wrote: 21 Aug 2023, 6:10pm I can't see Vuelta 2023 in the ITV schedules for this weekend (sat 26th august).
Shame.

A search around shows the highlights are listed on Quest channel in 'discovery plus' program listings -

https://www.discoveryplus.com/gb/video/ ... ts-5297499
I prefer to watch on a laptop which requires opening a free account for discovery plus.

edit. I've just fired up the tv and found Quest (channel 12 in S Yorkshire).
Vuelta highlights listed there Sat 26th 23.00. (edited to correct listed timing.)
Yes it's on discovery + and will work on laptop or android I suspect iPhone too but as for the tv you'll need a webOS version 3 at least to run the discovery + app on it. Had to buy one last year cos none of my internet tvs could run it. £56 per year for d+ to watch the BSB which is the best race series in the world in my opinion. ( and that of most motorcycle race fans and commentators ) absolute bargain.
I am here. Where are you?
JohnI

Post by JohnI »

Chromecast is a good option for older TVs - you can watch on your phone or tablet and then start watching on the TV.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

JohnI wrote: 4 Sep 2023, 11:38am Chromecast is a good option for older TVs - you can watch on your phone or tablet and then start watching on the TV.
I tried all that several different ways -- from laptop from phone etc and it was terrible -- freezing half the time probably because of the processing / workload, lag etc

The only way it works on older TVs is to record it on the laptop using a screen capture application then transfer to a USB stick and plug that into the tv ( most TVs have some sort of player from storage facility ) if not burn it to a DVD.

That's a lot of bother -- get a new tv with at least web os v3 -- beware they only came out around end of 2021 early 22 so there maybe loads of TVs without still to be sold. ---

I had a lot of hunting down the right tv -- the guys in curry's -- not a clue when I asked about it and none of their TVs could load it. Went to a local tv store where a young salesman who knew about web os v3 loaded the app on an LG tv to prove it worked so I spent my cash there.
JohnI

Post by JohnI »

That's interesting. I'm sure chromecast has worked OK for me, but these days I use a Google TV stick. For future reference (if anyone else is interested) there's a list of supported devices on the Discovery+ site: https://help.discoveryplus.com/hc/en-us ... discovery-
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

JohnI wrote: 4 Sep 2023, 3:53pm That's interesting. I'm sure chromecast has worked OK for me, but these days I use a Google TV stick. For future reference (if anyone else is interested) there's a list of supported devices on the Discovery+ site: https://help.discoveryplus.com/hc/en-us ... discovery-
It's because discovery + is an app on the phone rather than just relaying video or pictures stored on phone to the tv also in some instances the app like YouTube is already on the tv so the tv is just being cast the link to the particular video and downloading it directly hence the pictures are good but if the video is coming via an app on the phone it has several conversions to go through before appearing as a video on the tv. Hope that makes sense.
JohnI

Post by JohnI »

With chromecast it'll depend on whether you try to use screen mirroring (which won't work at all well for video) or whether you cast from the app itself: there'll be a chromecast icon somewhere on the screen. In that case it works differently because it basically tells the chromecast device to start its own session and stream the video directly using the right format etc. It's a bit confusing.

For some reason Chromecast never really caught on and I think it's partly because it's simpler just to pick up a remote of some sort and pick what you want. I find it useful for all sorts of stuff though and I also need to use one for my job anyway.