MSR Hubba Hubba cleaning

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
matt2matt2002

MSR Hubba Hubba cleaning

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Love my tent. Served me well for 3+ years.
I look after it as best I can but there are now quite a few ' smudge' marks left by slugs, squashed fly's/ midges etc.
Nothing that has damaged the fly or tent fabric but I'd like to clean it up.

Any thoughts on how best to clean fly and tent?
Or perhaps leave well alone?

Thanks

Matt
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
hamster

Re: MSR Hubba Hubba cleaning

Post by hamster »

I would use soap (real soap not detergent) and a sponge. I've had to do this kind of cleaning in the past before entering Australia or NZ, as they are very careful to protect from invasive species - soil particles being of particular concern.
philsknees

Post by philsknees »

Nothing wrong with hamster's suggestion, but it's worth reading this:
https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice ... -tent.html
which gives useful advice on the various degrees of cleaning you might want to do, starting in the bath at home. (I think "mineral oil" translates to methylated spirit over here?)

Alternatively, if you've given the tent plenty of use, it may be worth going down the Nikwax route which provides a kit enabling you to spray clean the erected tent and, if you wish, apply a waterproofing and UV blocking coating which is claimed to strengthen an extend the life of the tent.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

philsknees wrote: 8 Sep 2023, 1:10pm(I think "mineral oil" translates to methylated spirit over here?)
Mineral oil is more likely to be turps or white spirit.
Meths is alcohol, nothing oily about it.
philsknees

Post by philsknees »

Yep, I stand corrected, Andrew is right about mineral oil. That said, meths, turps or white spirit won't be going anywhere near the flysheets of my Hillebergs, however mucky they are! :wink:
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Thanks folks
Really appreciate all advice.

Re the cleaning; any difference between the flysheet and tent?

Thanks again

Matt
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
philsknees

Post by philsknees »

Re cleaning the inner. Opinions vary but if it's horribly dirty it probably will benefit from a clean, though it's important that it remains breathable, so it's probably not a good idea to use a cleaner /waterproofer on it (though Nikwax do claim that their tent cleaner doesn't affect breathability).
Terra Nova, who've been in the game for many years give recent advice on cleaning their tents here:
https://www.terra-nova.co.uk/product-in ... utm_source

You'll notice that they advise several complete immersions and agitation in a bath of cold water with no mention of adding any soap or cleaning solution, repeating until the water runs clear, followed by careful (indoor) drying before erecting the tent and applying selected Nikwax treatments.
No specific mention is made of cleaning inners, though their suggestion that you should detach the inner where possible could be interpreted as not washing them, whatever, I'd think the water-only rinse method can do it little harm.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Hilleberg say this...
https://hilleberg.com/eng/faq/my-tent-i ... -clean-it/

There's not much that won't shift with water and persistent rubbing with a cloth. Warm water will get through a little quicker.
That suggests no cleaning product, though if you have a pure soap (e.g., Nikwax Techwash, Dripak Liquid Soap Flakes, Granger's Performance Wash, Granny's Soap Flakes) I can't see that doing any harm.

Shouldn't be any difference between fly, inner and groundsheet as regards getting it clean.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...