SMGT forks service

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Beninwales

SMGT forks service

Post by Beninwales »

The MEKS forks on my street machine are stiff and only return to full length when all the weight is taken off them.
Does anyone know how to service these forks?
Is there an info source anywhere?
Can I get a kit to do it?
I know nothing about suspension forks other than they go up and down, can anyone enlighten me?
yostumpy

Re: SMGT forks service

Post by yostumpy »

The spinner ones on my GTE are the same. They are not supposed to be fully extended with you on it, may 1/4 -1/3 compressed, so when the wheel drops into a dip or hole, they can extend. Mine are also quite stiff and ‘sticky’ when you push them down, but it rides fine, so I assumed that’s just how they are.
Beninwales

Post by Beninwales »

I would have thought though that the fork should fully extend when you get off the bike?
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

Beninwales wrote: 7 Sep 2023, 11:03am and only return to full length when all the weight is taken off them.
Exactly
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

If "full extension" is that they are hitting a hard stop then you don't want them doing that even completely unloaded, because if they are rapidly unloaded (which is rather the point of bouncy hardware) then the momentum of the unsprung mass will cause the whole assembly to go past the "neutral" point... so there needs to be some available movement in that direction.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Beninwales

Post by Beninwales »

Ok time for some clarification.
When I get on the bike the forks depress around a third, as expected.
What's happening is that when I get off the bike the forks stay where they are. They only extend when I lift the front of the bike off the ground. Are we saying that's how it should be?
Thanks for the help so far.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

They don't release at all?

No - that's definitely not right... they should be "easy" to move slowly - so they should return to their neutral position (which won't be at an end stop) when you get off.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

I don't know...

But Ben Cooper, aka "Kinetics" in Glasgow is an HPVel dealer and general engineer and ought to know.

https://www.kinetics-online.co.uk/

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...