Midge mesh for Saunders Space Packer

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
SA_SA_SA

Re: Midge mesh for Saunders Space Packer

Post by SA_SA_SA »

pjclinch wrote:...
A terra nova Helm 2 but with Helm 1 inner (possible if you ask them nicely?) looks like it would give
2 doors, 2 large porches comparable to the Spacepacker minus the inner on your face for the 'burden' of an elbowed extra hoop. Despite being over 200pounds, sterling its fly is PU coated polyester not doublecoated silicon fabric (but you can't have everything? )...
https://www.terra-nova.co.uk/products/helm-compact-2/
https://www.terra-nova.co.uk/products/h ... dome-tent/ :)

EDIT terra nova sell flys and inners as spares.
Last edited by SA_SA_SA on 19 Dec 2022, 4:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

SA_SA_SA wrote: 18 Dec 2022, 7:05pm
A terra nova Helm 2 but with Helm 1 inner (possible if you ask them nicely?) looks like it would give
2 doors, 2 large porches comparable to the Spacepacker minus the inner on your face for the 'burden' of an elbowed extra hoop. Despite being over 200pounds, sterling its fly is PU coated polyester not doublecoated silicon fabric (but you can't have everything? )...
https://www.terra-nova.co.uk/products/helm-compact-2/
https://www.terra-nova.co.uk/products/h ... dome-tent/ :)
The Compact 1 is one-sided, so if you put the inner of that in to a 2 you'll not have access to the second porch or door. And the inner on the 2 is already narrower than the Spacepacker's. And on the 2 the porches are smaller, and the whole thing is heavier, and with PU coated fly almost certainly weaker.

Not so much you can't have everything as a different and lower level of performance, which is fair enough as it costs in today's cash what the Spacepacker cost over 20 years ago so it's a lot cheaper, but this does show the dangers of thinking it's all about general layout in the same way that my late 70s Raleigh Olympus had basically the same layout as Remco Evenepoel's 2022 Worlds-winning S-Works.

If I wanted something on the same performance level as a Spacepacker but was okay to take smaller porches it would be the Tarptent Scarp 1, but I want those bigger porches more than I'm bothered about a low inner when lying down.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

pjclinch wrote: 19 Dec 2022, 8:31am
SA_SA_SA wrote: 18 Dec 2022, 7:05pm
The Compact 1 is one-sided, so if you put the inner of that in to a 2 you'll not have access to the second porch or door. And the inner on the 2 is already narrower than the Spacepacker's. And on the 2 the porches are smaller, and the whole thing is heavier, and with PU coated fly almost certainly weaker

Not so much you can't have everything as a different and lower level of performance, which is fair enough as it costs in today's cash what the Spacepacker cost over 20 years ago so it's a lot cheaper, .....If I wanted something on the same performance level as a Spacepacker but was okay to take smaller porches it would be the Tarptent Scarp 1, but I want those bigger porches.....
If you scroll through the helm one photos, there is a 'small cargo door' zipped access to the 'rear' porch but if one wanted a full extra door, one would have to ask for a mod or get out ones sewing machine. If one only needed space for one sleeper is the size of the 2person inner relevant? as long one gets the vestibules space by swapping to a 1person inner?

Yes, inflation is a bad thing for humans, but I am comparing it to the prices of currently available tents from big manufacturers :)

Rather than an (ugly,? complex?, small porches, etc) Scarp one, if one wanted a no expense spared silicon-double-coated replacement for a Spacepacker, it would seem simpler to ask Mr Trekkertent to make one a Spacepacker (plus?) tribute.

Edit: I notice trekker tent sell a phreeranger fly for 190 pounds which seems pretty reasonable, if one can make up some poles, and fudge an inner oneself.
Last edited by SA_SA_SA on 19 Dec 2022, 12:16pm, edited 1 time in total.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

SA_SA_SA wrote: 19 Dec 2022, 11:29am
If you scroll through the helm one photos, there is a 'small cargo door' zipped access to the 'rear' porch but if one wanted a full extra door, one would have to ask for a mod or get out ones sewing machine.
One of the really nice things about the Spacepacker is in nice weather with no beasties you can open up the whole of each side on the inner and, aside from the pole and immediate surround, the whole of each end. So not only would one need to substantially doctor the inner, but the fly as well to add 2 more doors.
SA_SA_SA wrote: 19 Dec 2022, 11:29am If one only needed space for one sleeper is the size of the 2person inner relevant? as long one gets the vestibules space by swapping to a 1person inner?
That depends on what one wants in the inner on any given trip and if one ever does anything bar sleeping in it. Why have the porch space but not the inner space when I can have both? I don't really like my wife's Hubba because I find the inner a bit constricting when the door's shut: these are preferences, not objective "that shouldn't be a problem!", with the fly-in-your-face lying down on the Spacepacker another example. I can see why people hate it, it really doesn't bother me.
SA_SA_SA wrote: 19 Dec 2022, 11:29am Rather than an (ugly,? complex?, small porches, etc) Scarp one, if one wanted a no expense spared silicon-double-coated replacement for a Spacepacker, it would seem simpler to ask Mr Trekkertent to make one a Spacepacker (plus?) tribute.
I guess some people will avoid a tent if it's not their idea of pretty, but I'm not one of them and even if I was I don't see what's particularly ugly about the Scarp. The porches aren't so much small, but (like the Helm2) are not as big as I'd like: the Spacepacker is very much at the top-end of porch space for a tent of its size and weight.

I've never really understood in this thread why folk are so keen on trying to "prove" the Sapcepacker is an obsolete design that's been left behind. That it has things some people don't like makes it like just about every other tent that's ever been made.

Pete.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

pjclinch wrote: 19 Dec 2022, 12:13pm ... doctor .....the fly as well to add 2 more doors.....
The helm 2 fly is specified as having 2 doors, so no mod required for it. One could perhaps drop the solo inner when having both doors open mode (like luxe minipeak 2 owners do). I thought the helm2-1hybrid could still count as close enough but not quite a cigar for some but it seems not yourself :)
pjclinch wrote: 19 Dec 2022, 12:13pm ......
I've never really understood in this thread why folk are so keen on trying to "prove" the Spacepacker is an obsolete design that's been left behind. ...
I wasn't, I thought I was sort of doing the opposite, but I do prefer to sleep in line with the hoop, so suggesting a modern version provides that as an option or instead or keeps same fly shape but otherwise mitigates the inners edge low height doesnt seem unreasonable to me, even if that ability as a mere option would require the plus sized fly. The fact that no modern manufacturer has simply cloned the unpatented transverse Spacepacker design, even after it was no longer made and the Saunders company gone (so no toes to be stepped on) always seemed strange to me: the smaller shorter pyramid tents and laser/aktos (still too low for me,) would seem to indicate lots of people don't mind a lowish inner over their face, so that doesn't seem to explain it.

Hopefully thats all folks. :)
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

SA_SA_SA wrote: 19 Dec 2022, 12:48pm
pjclinch wrote: 19 Dec 2022, 12:13pm ... doctor .....the fly as well to add 2 more doors.....
The helm 2 fly is specified as having 2 doors, so no mod required for it.
But the Spacepacker has 4.
SA_SA_SA wrote: 19 Dec 2022, 12:48pm
pjclinch wrote: 19 Dec 2022, 12:13pm ......
I've never really understood in this thread why folk are so keen on trying to "prove" the Spacepacker is an obsolete design that's been left behind. ...
I wasn't, I thought I was sort of doing the opposite, but I do prefer to sleep in line with the hoop, so suggesting a modern version provides that as an option or instead or keeps same fly shape but otherwise mitigates the inners edge low height doesnt seem unreasonable to me, even if that ability as a mere option would require the plus sized fly. The fact that no modern manufacturer has simply cloned the unpatented transverse Spacepacker design, even after it was no longer made and the Saunders company gone (so no toes to be stepped on) always seemed strange to me: the smaller shorter pyramid tents and laser/aktos (still too low for me,) would seem to indicate lots of people don't mind a lowish inner over their face, so that doesn't seem to explain it.
The option to move the inner so you sleep a different way relative to the pole sounds nice, but in practice any given buyer is only likely to want to use it one way, and then they've paid to compromise their tent so they can move things around to a different setup they don't like so much. Devil tends to be in the detail, and what sounds easy on paper tends to be less so in reality. I think you'd be much better off spending the effort on optimising one orientation or the other.

The outdoor/cycling world is full of designs that were dearly loved by many but went because ultimately not enough people were buying them to make them financially worth making any more. That's not the same as weren't good, or weren't "modern". Tents in particular are compromises and you're pitching for a mix of good/bad/indifferent that really works for some target audience. The Spacepacker was very popular initially in giving a tent with, well, space at under 2 Kgs that would fit in a rucksack without filling it up, and now there are a lot more of those on the market that do some things better, others not so well. Those of us who are big on the things the Spacepacker does genuinely better than the current crop (like rolling back all 4 doors on a nice day) are happy with it the way it is but if I wanted to make money making tents I don't think I'd convince anyone that replicating it now constituted a business plan. People will choose from a test lie (where you are struck, literally, by how close the inner is to your face), bullet-points like "taped seams" and ultimate low weight, where using over twice as many pegs as anything else will count against you (though of course it also makes it harder to blow down in a gale). If someone's going to clone something it'll be something perceived as a market leader now, not a respected but niche product.

Rather than seeing it as "but it would be better with a stepped inner like the Akto" you can look at the Akto and say that would be better if it had a more aerodynamic profile for high winds. And so on. A stepped inner is just an option with its own inherent compromises, as are Spacepacker features like 4 doors in the fly.

Pete.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

pjclinch wrote: 19 Dec 2022, 7:06pm
SA_SA_SA wrote: 19 Dec 2022, 12:48pm The helm 2 fly is specified as having 2 doors, so no mod required....
But the Spacepacker has 4.
I had thought the helm was using a mid zip to do the job of the Spacepacker's two zips, because the helm's elbowed pole wasn't in a pole sleeve, but on closer examination its side is clipped to the fly midway up beside the door zip, and it looks like a mod to add a qr connector to the pole ground tape would be needed to allow the other door half to open fully as well by unclipping it from pole and tape. Which is why all the photos show only one 'half' of helm open per side....
Drat....

I suppose the simplest way for a medium height person to counteract the low inner would be to buy the Spacepacker Plus and perhaps sleep diagonally if solo.

Definitely, thats all folks, I think :)
Rob D

Post by Rob D »

Gosh, all this talk of Spacepackers makes me feel quite nostalgic! The Plus was my first decent lightweight tent, bought with money from my aunt, shared with my sister. I got the greater use of it.
Fabulous, versatile tent! I double-poled mine if conditions dictated. Being tall, the fabric on my face was a pain, so I got RS to make up 4 extra guy points, with links through to the inner. Effective.
Used the flysheet alone quite a bit. 3 of us on a winter trip around Knoydart and others, worked well. 4 of us on a winter trip to Beinn Fhionndlaidh from Alltbeithe! Some sacs had to go outside.
Sadly, mine is too old to rely on, replaced by one, then another Nallo 2. But I'd suggest few tents offer so much versatility. Tough, too, survived some hefty storms.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

I came across this Robert Saunders Stormmaster on ebay: it seems to be a basecamp/basepacker but with a ridge pole, and looks a bit octagonal....
Is this the missing link between the base packer and spacepacker?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/28540540275 ... BMiIvt07Ni
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

SA_SA_SA wrote: 28 Jul 2023, 5:14pm I came across this Robert Saunders Stormmaster on ebay: it seems to be a basecamp/basepacker but with a ridge pole, and looks a bit octagonal....
Is this the missing link between the base packer and spacepacker?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/28540540275 ... BMiIvt07Ni
Thanks for that, the Stormmaster's a new one on me and I'd say your missing link suggestion may well be on the mark.
Using the hoop rather than this config means you can use a single, narrower pole, get the uprights out of the inner door without needing an A-Frame like a Force 10 and make pitching easier... one of those design leaps that looks obvious with hindsight but would have been quite revolutionary when it happened.

Pete.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Speaking of A-frames, I have decided the Spacepacker's offspring such as Msr Hubba style jointed tripod hoops etc are too complicated compared to a Spacepacker plus single hoop.I tbink I'd rather have a simple 2 hoop fly first dome with same vestibule space*, but no one seems to make them (domes generally eem to have small vestibules)

EDIT * something like this but not necessarily with the diagonal inner https://www.trek-lite.com/index.php?t ... t-246273

So am looking at a DD hammocks Aframe tent with side entry...
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

SA_SA_SA wrote: 1 Oct 2023, 11:48am Speaking of A-frames, I have decided the Spacepacker's offspring such as Msr Hubba style jointed tripod hoops etc are too complicated compared to a Spacepacker plus single hoop.I tbink I'd rather have a simple 2 hoop fly first dome with same vestibule space*, but no one seems to make them (domes generally eem to have small vestibules)
We got a Bach Guam 2 for this very setup (dome, no pole joins, generous porches), and the Hille Rogen is similar (they both have a cross-pole to hold out the porches but there are no joints to mount them).
The Bach is in the bargain bin at Basecamp, at which price it's quite attractive. I'm not sure I'd want to pay RRP for it, at that price I think I'd go the extra mile for the Rogen and get an all-in-one pitch.

I did a review here... viewtopic.php?t=157087

We've had it out again since that first trip and re-reading the review I'd say everything I said still stands.

Main thing against is it's very much a two person tent with loads of space even for two space-hungry campers, so you pay a weight penalty (2 Kgs) for that if it's just for one.

Pete.